The Quick and the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Quick and the Dead Reviews

½ December 8, 2016
161207: I have an absolute love hate relationship with this made for television, HBO film. It's good in so many ways but bad in so many others. The villains are the highlight. All but The Ute (Patrick Kilpatrick) are done decently, if not done well. Patrick was just not the best choice for the portrayal of a First Nations warrior and his costume made it worse. As for the other baddies, all are pretty cool in their own way. They feature intriguing and varied attire highlighting their unique natures. Doc Shabitt (Matt Clark) was an excellent choice as a demented leader and sports his bowler hat well. Johnny aka "I wonder why men who plead for mercy, never give any?" Dobs (LL Tobert) looks the part of a cowboy, skilled with his revolver, though he's a bit underused (watch the film). And Red Hayle (Jerry Potter) is the nastiest of the group, intimidating even his own. Red has a taste for women and takes one hell of a beating from one. He survives with some commendable scars and you just love to hate him. As for the good guys, Con Vallian (Sam Elliott) twists me up. His motivations are hard to understand, his behavior is even harder. Is the viewer to believe that such an obviously principled man, in the old west, would jokingly take advantage of a married woman in front of her husband? There must be some explanation missing in the film that I imagine is revealed more clearly in Louis L'Amour's book. The Quick and the Dead (1987) can also be seen as a statement on Democratic vs Republican values; or perhaps how the reality of life can change ones position from rose-coloured to realistic. The annoyingly weak Duncan McKaskel (Tom Conti) is an ex-soldier who promised never to kill again after fighting in the civil war. He's married to Susana McKaskel (Kate Capshaw) an almost too beautiful, and well-endowed, woman who learns at a quicker pace than her husband that the West is not populated only by "nice, well-mannered people". It was funny to hear Susana's dialogue including her reference to the fact that "back east we had laws to restrain them." True Liberal mentality that made me smile. Whether intentional or not, this film provides commentary on the 2nd amendment. Finally, Duncan McKaskel is a character that demands disdain...or is it Tom Conti that demands disdain? From his voice, to his mannerism, to his dress, he made me cringe. But, perhaps, that was the whole intent of Louis L'Amour and the creators of this film? They produced characters that inspired passion; unfortunately too strong a passion. Regardless, I still enjoy coming back to this film from time to time.
February 25, 2015
Damn this is a good movie.
½ April 9, 2014
I enjoyed the movie. Although, I'm a big Sam Elliot fan. I like just about all his movies. Lol
September 7, 2012
I don't like a whole lot of older westerns, but this is definitely a must-see for anyone with a passing interest in the genre. Grade: B-
February 17, 2012
2 Stars, 1 for Sam Elliot, 1 for his 'stache. I bought this thinking it was the original version of the one with Hackman/Crowe/Stone/Leo.
½ January 29, 2012
Interesting Western about a good gunslinger loner helping a family threw dangerous territory and the no goods out to get them.
½ August 21, 2011
what a pleasant suprise this fliccc was nice...S.E. is good in every fliccc but this 1 was a lil bit better than his norm the female lead was georgous. ...that helps
December 30, 2010
A nice western film with the great Sam Elliot and nice scenery
½ September 10, 2010
THE QUICK AND THE DEAD (1987)
½ January 25, 2010
Not amazing, but an entertaining enough western. Sam Elliott is pretty good, but the rest of the cast is awful.
July 9, 2009
Recommend...not one of the best westerns on film, but good enough to sit through and enjoy. Don't expect to see gun fights in the middle of the streets (like another movie of the same title). This is based upon a Louis L'Amour novel. It's a tale about a stranger, Con Vallian (Sam Elliott) who befriends homesteaders, Duncan McKaskel (Sam Conti), Susanna McKaskel (Kate Capshaw) and Tom McKaskel (Kenny Morrison). Con is enamored with Susanna, and has no qualms at letting Duncan know how pretty she is. Susanna finds Con more exciting and mysterious, which she does not see in her husband. Duncan has a past that he doesn't want to share with his family, which he must overcome to keep them all alive. Sam Elliott's performance is excellent and quite believable. Tom Conti may have portrayed Duncan as to naive. Overall Kate?s performance was believable (with the exception of a couple of scenes alone with Sam). This movie is more about the characters and the issues they have to overcome to get to their new home.
June 15, 2009
Movies not fab but Sam is, wheww
½ May 20, 2009
Not too bad. nothing spectacular about this movie except for Sam Elliott... It is a made for TV movie which always has it's drawbacks, budget being one. What holds this one up is a decent script brought from a book by Louis L'Amour... Now one should not be expecting too much action, though there is some this seems to be more focused on Sam trying to offend the guy he is protecting, and catch looks at his wife in moments he shouldn't. Overall I liked watching it, it didn't feel like I wasted my time or wanted to turn it off, but I won't likely watch it again. Decent, but more or less a pass.
September 18, 2008
Throwback to the classic westerns with naive newcomers, rugged but benevolient plainsman and a posse of low lifes with nothing good on their mind. Great for western fans. Sam Elliot was born to play cowboys and he stands shoulder to shoulder with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.
½ March 29, 2008
Sam Elliot pulls off being a no-funny-business cowboy. This movie was exciting.