The Rainmaker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rainmaker Reviews

½ November 18, 2015
True passion for this 1956 wonder.
hunterjt13
June 2, 2015
A con artist arrives in a drought-ridden town claiming he can bring rain.
Burt Lancaster is a force. Perfectly cast as Starbuck, Lancaster chews the scenery with aplomb, and whereas any other actor might look like he's drawing attention to himself, Lancaster never looks like he's not playing the character honestly. This and his work in Elmer Gantry are the main reasons why he's such a eye-catching and dynamic. Katharine Hepburn is never quite believable as plain Jane Lizzie, but she makes it work and her scenes with Lancaster are the best in the film.
The last scene is confusing, and to avoid giving it away, I'll just say that the reasons why a character makes a decision aren't entirely clear.
Overall, The Rainmaker highlights Lancaster's incredible and vivacious talents.
September 3, 2014
Lancasters character is wonderfully flamboyant and Hepburn is Hepburn so without fault.
June 26, 2014
I love this story as a play, but somehow its theatricality comes across a little bit corny on screen. And despite Katharine Hepburn being a great actress, she is way too old for her role and has little chemistry with Burt Lancaster.
½ February 18, 2014
Lancaster is too corny to pull this off effectively. HIs attempts to bring out the glamour in Hepburn seem forced.
March 31, 2012
A welcome surprise in my daily movie diet, The Rainmaker was a sweet desert, to say the least. Burt Lancaster, Katherine Hepburn and Lloyd Bridges star in this adaptation of the stage play of the same name. All of the actors do wonderful work here. Most people would see it as simply over-acting their parts, but I believe the nature of the play itself...well...it couldn't have been played any other way and I enjoyed the performances. Shot in the days of Vistavision by stage play director Joseph Anthony, the film looks very nice and is composed to great effect with the letterbox format. The amazing thing about the movie is that it was essentially shot in one location, leaving out the sherrif's office and the town in the prologue, but yet it never tires because the material and the delivery of it is very strong and very interesting. The score here is peppy and just a delight, not to mention it matches the film so well. It gives it a spirit and a movement that keeps the pace on track. The few complaints I have about the movie ARE very few, so let's get them over with. To me, Burt Lancaster is only in half of this movie, really. He pops up at the beginning and disappears for nearly 30-60 mins in the whole of the story. It does give you a chance to meet and get to know the family of the story, but I think it causes the main narrative to suffer a little bit. I also believe that some of the scenes in the film are FAR too long. To me, the conclusion of some scenes is reached in the audience's mind before the character's actually get there themselves. Some of the dialogue itself feels burdensome for this reason. Build-up and exposition is one thing, fleeting is another. Despite these flaws, this movie was very enjoyable. I really related to it on a level that I can't quite get into here, but trust me when I say that the movie is a good one, and that if you happen to catch it on TCM, do watch and enjoy a great romantic classic.
July 28, 2011
lancaster is as good as he ever was in this.
November 14, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie, Hepburn and Lancaster make a good team, and the story is really cool, check it out.
June 22, 2010
this one you will remember.
May 18, 2010
"RAIN! . . . Give me my hundred bucks!"
bbcfloridabound
May 3, 2010
Burt Lancaster plays a con man, Katharine Hepburn a near old maid. While trying to con the town and having the law chase him, Lancaster starts making promises to Lissy and she thinks her night in shinning armore has arrived. See the movie to know the ending. A 4 star movie,
April 2, 2010
An old-old school classic a bit on the obscure side. A great pairing of Hepburn and Lancaster. Director Joseph Anthony somehow generates chemistry out of Hepburn who was rumored to be such a shrew that her on-set kissing looked like she was making out with a 2X4. A fun old movie to watch on AMC at 3 am when you're bored, stoned or just feel like watching a movie with your grandmother.
½ February 15, 2010
Watch it for the infectious supporting turn by Holliman. the rest is.... not great.
½ November 22, 2009
To understand small town USA in the 50's is to understand the ethos of the film.
This is one of Lancaster's greatest performances in a time when the world needed hope. There were many many women like Hepburn's character whose repression was forced by family and society. Beautiful and manly Starbuck's tenderness toward her and her subsequent awakening is full of beauty and hope.
A real love story for people with intelligence
August 27, 2009
one of my uttmost favorite all time movies!!!
½ August 24, 2009
Hepburn is great in this okay movie.
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
March 13, 2009
Wonderful version of the stage play
March 4, 2009
Not a great movie. Hepburn seemed semi-bipolar trying to give us 'range'. Lancaster was fun, but in the end I didn't feel moved at all, and I guess thats what it's all about. I can't believe he went back for his money when it started to rain... and people gave it to him!
FilmFanatik