A Raisin in the Sun Reviews

• May 26, 2019

Sensational movie! An excellent study of the psychology of ambition both positive and negative acted wonderfully by Sydney Pottier.

• Apr 29, 2019

This movie is such fucking bullshit because this is just pure and utter family drama and who the fuck wants to hear that shit

• Dec 09, 2018

While A Raison In The Sun was great film in it's own way, the atmosphere felt cramped and it was hard to enjoy it at certain points when you're looking at the same room and place for over 2 hours.

• Sep 16, 2018

The tragedy is well portrayed and compelling.

The tragedy is well portrayed and compelling.

• Sep 03, 2018

Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring some great actors. I felt engaged the entire movie and never felt bored. This movie gave me the American dream movie I needed. That the American dream has ups and downs.

• Nov 18, 2017

The Younger family are a working class black family with three generations, five people, living in a cramped apartment. However, it appears their fortunes are about to change as grandmother Younger is about to receive a large insurance payout. However, there is considerable disagreement within the household on how the money will be spent, resulting in friction within the Younger family. Powerful and profound, but takes forever to make its point - overwrought and unnecessarily protracted. The ultimate theme is very admirable, and very necessary, especially in the 1960s. Well set up too, in getting to the punchline. Too well set up. You have to wait for about 90 minutes for anything like a degree of focus or for a payoff for everything that came before. Until then the movie seemed to drift. Worst of all, the dialogue is incredibly padded. The writer's reasoning seemed to be - why use 10 words when 100 will do? Every bit of dialogue is long-winded and feels like a speech, enough to make even Shakespeare seem succinct. So many times I caught myself thinking "Geez, just get to the point!". Some brevity and this would have been a superb movie. Instead it is a bit of an ordeal, with a good payoff at the end.

• Mar 16, 2016

The acting, the story, the power. I had no interest in seeing this, until I did. A most powerful film, indeed. How Poitier, Dee nor McNeil, or the director, or the film itself wasn't nominated for an Academy Award? I will never understand that. And Hollywood hasn't really changed, has it?

• Nov 04, 2015

This movie shows that dreams really do come true America. In spite of the hardships and extreme humility this family has faced, still, it pushes forward. This family does not stop in spite of losing the Dad. The family doesn't stop when the very ball chain that slows them, further pulls. The family sticks together and gives other support and holds back anger as possible. The family works together and moves forward together. The patriotism and the boldness makes this a great film. I love how it shows that dreams in America change-from a desire for independence to a desire for financial gain. It actually sets up the viewer to ask this question: ?what dreams are yet to come in America for us, the Americans?

• Jun 02, 2015

Outstanding story and acting. Yes, it is at times bound too closely by its staginess, but the larger than life performances (which for some viewers might be too melodramatic) exploding through the screen might well make you forget this is filmed mostly on a small set. Though this movie came out during the height of the Civil Rights movement in the US, it goes well beyond portraying racial tension. Many other issues join in to create multi-layered story line that touches at the heart of some of humanity's deepest concerns, skin color notwithstanding.

• May 16, 2015

While this feels much like a play and Sidney Poitier is on the thin line of neurotic and stagy, A Raisin in the Sun is bolstered by its cast, ease direction and vital messages of a struggling black family in 1950s Chicago