Monanieba (Repentance) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

WTF did I just watch?!
½ November 17, 2013
year s/b 1984 not 1987.
November 9, 2011
harsh social commentary mixed with Abuladze's lyrical and often symbolic storytelling. a somewhat vague but still very forthright condemnation of dictatorships--rather shocking to see from a Soviet film, even if its from the 80s. the moral struggles of some of the characters are just fascinating. there's a very dry, subtle sense of humour permeating the film that makes nothing in particular overly funny, but everything seems a bit ridiculous. thought-provoking writing, solid acting, a cool plot structure, and just an overall good film.
November 9, 2011
September 6, 2011
say what you like about the soviets, one thing that cannot be deinied:
they didnt half make great cinema
½ August 17, 2011
A very great movie. Full of ironic and surreal expression. I wanted to watch it for a long time but don't have spare time to carry out. After I watched it, I know how much time I've lost, how late I watch it. People need to think things, to understand the ideologies in the world, of the past, currency, then to prepare for the future. I should never give up learning Russian. A complicated, attractive country, using a beautiful and profound language, with deep history, literature. I am really glad that I watched it finally.
February 15, 2010
Primeiro filme produzido na USSR a criticar o totalitarismo associado a diversos ditadores, incluindo Stalin. Belas alegorias e enredo progressivamente perturbador.
October 2, 2009
A classic from one of Georgia's most renowned directors Abuladze. Although its dissident rhetoric is a bit outdated, the cinematography here is great, women are beautiful, and its brand of black humor is quite a delight.
May 15, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
March 2, 2009
Titolo italiano: Pentimento
½ January 12, 2009
i did not know there is another way to describe these things. it is very different for me. great film.
December 14, 2008
This is a movie, if I have ever seen one!!! A subtle and sophisticated tragic comedy.
July 12, 2008
Godfather II and I run close but ...no cigar...apologies to my Italian friends....
½ May 6, 2008
Guilt filtered through three generations to devastating effect and some memorable moments.
October 31, 2007
An incredible visual symbolism, full of moments you truly cannot breathe because you are seeing and believing it at the same time...
October 13, 2007
Thoughtful dark comedy/tragedy filled with symbolism so dense that one imagines that the producers must have been brooding on it for 20 years. Its the story of Eastern Europe through the life of one girl. Exquisitely made and achingly beautiful,eg, lumber yard scene with girl hoping to find her fathers name carved on a log--a sign that he is alive--while in the background the music of Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa. Grotesquely humorous at others, like the scene in the concrete silo, where the son confronts the father as the father, now mad, jabbers in circles, the sunlight streaking through the slits in the bunker, blinding the son.
October 10, 2007
Ett absurt epos från Georgien. Historien börjar med att en avliden borgmästare vägrar ligga kvar i sin grav. Det är inledningen till berättelsen om tyrranen - formligen en blandning av Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin mm - och hans brott mot mänskligheten och slutligen straffet. Eller bekännelsen. Det kanske inte låter så kul men den är helt vansinnigt rolig emellanåt.