Revenge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revenge Reviews

½ May 18, 2013
In the film Revenge actor Kevin Costner plays US Navy pilot Michael Cochran who is retiring after twelve years in the service. He seems to have lost direction and wants to take some time off for himself. He first arranges to go and visit his old friend partner Tiburon Mendez, portrayed by Anthony Quinn, who is a powerful mob boss in Mexico. Exactly why they are friends is a bit unclear but it seems that Tibby owes Jay a debt for saving his life at some point in the past. Once Jay arrives at the Mendez Hacienda he meets Miryea, who is the wife of Tibby. Instantly attracted to one another although initially fighting the chemistry between them, they begin an affair, which comes with massive consequences for all who are involved. This film has many similar elements found in The Wild Bunch (1969) and its shooting location in Mexico greatly adds much to the atmosphere of the story. There are claustrophobic qualities to many of the situations which are enhanced beautifully by the background. The acting is nicely done, as Costner manages to display a barely restrained anger throughout the second part of the film and Anthony Quinn is convincing as the superficially charming but ruthless mobster. Madelaine Stowe is fine for the female lead but seemingly struggles with a Mexican accent and at times seems a bit uncomfortable with the innocence that her character is expected to portray. Revenge was commercially unsuccessful but it is nonetheless a film that deserves to be seen. Costner, being an actor of limited range, was always best at starring in these types of films. When he behaves in rather simplistic types of roles, you get to see the best of him. If I have any complaints, I believe the denouement of the story, although certainly interesting, does not quite fit. The build up to it promises something more of a climatic showdown and the character of Jay would seem by this point to be poised to take his revenge. Perhaps the downbeat finish was done to avoid going Hollywood with a big finale and, as I mentioned, it is certainly effective, and also beautifully and memorably shot by director Tony Scott, but it also leaves a general feeling that there is still business to be done. Overall I believe Revenge to be an interesting and entertaining movie that is very enjoyable at points and well worth viewing.
May 7, 2013
Tarantino's a big fan of this. I can see why, but it was still a little weak.
½ April 15, 2013
Kevin Costner sucks, but I love Tony Scott movies. Gritty, violent and this one is pretty sexy too
½ March 23, 2013
any film in which Kevin Costner takes the mother of all hidings is a top film! Madeline Stowe, fantastic actress, incredibly good looking for an older bird!
March 5, 2013
You will either love or loathe Tony Scott's 90s revenge flick. Costner is the balls and a serious twitch out of Stowe.
January 11, 2013
I enjoyed this movie when it was released in 1990. Haven't seen it for years so wouldn't mind watching it again.
December 5, 2012
I remember seeing this many years ago & hating it well I just saw it for the second time and it's not that bad, Has some good moments & the music score is beautiful
November 9, 2012
Retired Navy Pilot goes to visit an old friend in Mexico and takes up a romantic relationship with his wife. As a result, Old Mexican Friend has friend beaten, the young beautiful wife taken to a Whore House where she is drugged and repeatedly raped by Fat Mexican Men. After the friend recovers from his injuries, goes searching for his new girlfriend and finds her at a Covenant where she passes away in his arms.
October 14, 2012
It looks great but is a little dumb, just like many Hollywood stars and their vehicles are. Costner and Stowe were still ascending when this one came out, and the late great Tony Scott made the movie look as good as the stars looked. Unfortunately the story is not very good. Logic would dictate you do not betray your very violent friend/husband right under his and his numerous omnipresent staff's noses in a Mexico that he can literally get away with murder in. Costner has two very obvious paths open to him; either flee to the U. S. border without Stowe, or flee to the border with Stowe. SPOILER ALERT! He chooses a third option that keeps the movie going for another 80 minutes. Implausibilities abound, but it is not entirely unpleasant.
½ October 13, 2012
10/12/2012: Just ok. Too much love story and not enough "revenge".
August 28, 2012
the problem with revenge is that the middle is so dumb its annoying. i've never seen characters acting this stupid before. the first half is kinda slow, but that's okay. the last hour really delivers the goods. but that middle... my god. sooooo dumb
August 26, 2012
After 3 straight Jerry Bruckheimer / Don Simpson films, Tony Scott went to a smaller scale with Revenge. Its definitely nothing you should go out of your way to see - the plot is extremely basic and Costner seemingly makes some of the stupidiest decisions as a hero you really don't care if he gets killed or not. However, aspects of the film Tony Scott controlled showed the development of his signature style, more so than his previous big budget movies. Lots of fast-cut action and "gritty" would be an understatement. You watch this and you can clearly see the origins of the small scale Tony Scott violence he perfects for True Romance and Man on Fire. For that aspect alone, you can appreciate a director improving his craft.
August 21, 2012
Decent film, not bad!
March 14, 2012
Remember this star vehicle from 1990? No? Well the reason why, except for the high production values and the star power, is because it plays like a Youtube vid making fun of movies like this played straight, the unbelievable happening at every turn. Sleep with a mob boss' beautiful wife? What could go wrong with that? Isn't there a rerun of Ice Road Truckers on the History channel instead?
February 16, 2012
Was this meant to be a sequel to 'Top Gun'? The beginning really threw me. Anyway, substandard thriller. Makes little to no sense throughout. Nice Twin Peaks-esq score though.
January 29, 2012
Madeline Stowe is always awesome. Good revenge movie. Sad ending.
January 11, 2012
Not a bad story. But boring, boring, boring.
½ January 4, 2012
I'm seeking it for making me sit through this whole thing.
½ January 2, 2012