Revenge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revenge Reviews

November 28, 2011
Excellent thriller from Tony Scott. The photography is stunning and the original score from Jack Nitzche works perfectly. Costner and Stowe give great performances but it is the grand performance by Quinn that steals the show. Original cut is too long and the story becomes preposterous but never the less a very entertaining film and one of Scott's best.
November 15, 2011
90's cheese completes me. Sucker for romance.
September 3, 2011
Directed by Tony Scott, fresh off the success off Top Gun (1986) took on this action thriller based upon a novella by Jim Harrison. It's a straight forward film, but it has a good cast, with a lead who was at the top of his game 21 years ago, and it's plot is good for a well worn revenge cliche. It has retired fighter pilot Michael J. "Jay" Cochran (Kevin Costner) who goes to Mexico for a holiday, accepting an invitation to spend time with his friend Tiburon "Tibby" Mendez (Anthony Quinn) at his mansion. They spend most of the time playing tennis and shooting, however it turns out Tibby is really a powerful crime lord, and his much younger wife Miryea (Madeleine Stowe) is unhappy in her marriage, primarily because Tibby doesn't want children and that would spoil Miryea's looks. So, Miryea begins a secret affair with Jay, even though Jay is very cautious of the situation. They make a rendezvous in a cabin miles away belonging to Jay. But, Tibby follows them there, sending Miryea to a whorehouse, and leaving Jay for dead. But, he isn't dead, and he wants to get even with Tibby and find Miryea. It's a quite moving film for a revenge thriller, but it has Scott's usual glossy, sun-soaked visuals throughout. Costner's great, (always an underrated actor, unfairly criticised), but the great Quinn is a standout, switching from kindly old man to psychopath in a split second.
½ August 15, 2011
I'm not a huge Costner fan but I do know when he does a good job and it's movies here that make it harder and harder to figure out why he goes wrong and how.
½ August 7, 2011
Storming into a club and yelling: "WHERE IS SHE???" is not always the best way to go about things...Also, the ending was kind of weird...
June 7, 2011
A little predictable, but good.You'd think one would know it is dangerous to get involved with a Gangsters Wife, wouldn't you.Madeline Stowe was the "It" Actress at the Time & Very Beautiful, she sort of disappeared after this Movie
½ May 20, 2011
Normally a Kevin Costner fan, but I wasn't crazy about this movie.
½ May 17, 2011
Somewhere, right now, Tony Scott and Adrian Lyne are making passionate love to each other in a room full of smoke and doves, while from heavily back lit windows curtains billow in the breeze.
May 7, 2011
this wasnt one of his better movies. it was pretty weak.
½ May 6, 2011
Madeline Stowe, that rare combination of sexy and beautiful.
½ February 9, 2011
glorified love story with "grisly" scenes
January 28, 2011
Um filme que não precisava ter sido feito.
½ January 19, 2011
I don't know what to think of this. I really, really like it. Yet I hate it. This movie is crazy!!! If I were to explain the full plot of this film you wouldn't believe it. This is Man on Fire for the nineties and Madeline Stow is so ridiculously smoking hot I might have to watch it a second time in a decade haha. Tarantino loves this movie, I can see why. Watch the directors cut, it's more than long enough and its a half hour off the original.
½ January 9, 2011
Nothin great..just an average movie
mattsigur1
January 7, 2011
Takes a loooooooooooooooooong time to get going, but Madeleine Stowe is hot.
December 25, 2010
Good entertainment but nothing special. The acting is pretty good, especially from Anthony Quinn whom I was surprised he was in such a movie. The movie is well shot in Mexico captured by cinematographer Jeffery Kimball and a fine music score by Jack Nitzsche. It's decent entertainment but nothing to shout about.
½ November 4, 2010
It's like "Man on Fire" meets "Days of Our Lives."
October 30, 2010
W: 0. No good. Slow starting, then unnecessarily violent without cause.
October 12, 2010
Oh dear here it is then the thing i would never thought i would have to write ,this is a crap Tony Scott Movie.

To be fare he does try to add some of his usual flair ,but the story is dead in the water and apart From Anthony Quinn the acting is terrible.

Costner is way out of his depth here as he swiches from poster boy to bearded killer and failing to be convincing as either ,his acting is so stupid your quite gald when one of the bad guys breaks his fingers.

It also seems that Scott has been watching too much Peckinpah as he fils his film with stock Mexican Cliches which of course fail to engage in the way they do in Peckinpah movies.

The ending is a huge let down and by the end i was bored out of my skull.
If you want a better revenge film by the same director watch the masterful Man On Fire by the same director.
As for this lets just call in a large blip on Scotts movie career radar.

A dog in every sense of the word
½ September 23, 2010
A Really Young John Leguizamo In This Movie.