Revenge Reviews

• May 20, 2019

Despite what Tarantino thinks (Tony Scott's Masterpiece). This one is average at best. I found myself hating the music score. There are some decent elements, but overall it is just okay.

• Aug 16, 2018

There's a reason this flopped in theaters and grossed only 3/4ths of its production cost. The Jim Harrison novella may have been decent, but dear god was this film poorly executed. The character development was almost nonexistent and the plot was riddled with so many contextual gaps that not a single relationship portrayed was even remotely convincing. People just seemed to magically float into the protagonist's life with a level of closeness that was completely inexplicable, and thus bordering on comedic. Billing itself as a "romantic thriller," Revenge utterly failed to deliver core elements of either genre. In straining to come up with any redeeming aspects of the production, I can at least say the aesthetics were quality, but not so much that they stand out, and certainly not so much that they make up for the film's weaknesses in all other dimensions. 2/10.

• May 29, 2017

"Revenge" is a very underrated Kostner film. The premise has been done so many times before- Friend falls for powerful syndicate boss's wife/daughter, and all hell breaks loose. But the cast shines here. Madeleine Stowe plays her role very well, not over the top, and Anthony Quinn shines as always. The ending being a bit of a surprise is also refreshing, if a bit shocking. Kostner does a great job here, and the locations and feel are great characters as well. Very underrated film, and one of my 3 favorite Kostner flicks.

• Mar 14, 2017

Solid, slick and sexy revenge thriller. I'm sorry though, but I find it hard to feel empathy for the adulterous lovers. If anything I feel worse for the mob boss...

• Nov 09, 2016

Michael J. "Jay" Cochran (Kevin Costner) is a retiring United States Naval Aviator who, after 12 years in the service, wants to relax and live one day at a time. He goes to Mexico, accepting a matched pair of Beretta shotguns and an invitation from his wealthy friend Tiburon "Tibey" Mendez (Anthony Quinn) to spend time at his hacienda in Mexico. Tibey is a powerful crime boss, constantly surrounded by bodyguards. While trying to find the hacienda, Cochran meets a beautiful young woman riding a horse. She is Tibey's wife, Miryea (Madeleine Stowe), who lives in lavish surroundings but is unhappy because her much-older husband does not want children, feeling pregnancy would spoil her looks. Jay is a welcome guest and presents his friend with a Navy G-1 leather flight jacket. But he rubs Tibey's suspicious right-hand man Cesar (Tomas Milian) the wrong way by behaving independently and not acting like an employee. After a dinner Tibey conducts a private meeting with business associates while Miryea gets acquainted with Jay. She becomes attracted to him. The next day they share a private walk on the beach. During a party, with Tibey and his men nearby, Jay and Miryea secretly have sex. Tension grows, as Jay is worried that Tibey will become aware of the situation. Miryea begs Jay not to leave. They arrange a secret rendezvous, Miryea pretending that she will be visiting a friend in Miami when she actually is going to accompany Jay to a remote cabin. Cesar overhears a conversation in which Miryea asks her Miami friend to lie for her. Tibey visits Jay and invites him on a trip to the Beretta factory to custom-fit his new guns, but Jay declines. Tibey tells his friend goodbye. At the airport, Tibey also gives Miryea one last kiss. Jay is secretly waiting to drive her to the cabin. At their hideaway, they are surprised by Tibey and his men. Jay's beloved dog is shot dead. Calling Miryea a "faithless whore", Tibey strikes her and cuts her across the mouth with a knife, as Tibey's henchmen viciously beat and kick Jay. After setting fire to the cabin, they dump Jay in the desert, and leave him to die. Miryea is placed in a whorehouse, where she is drugged, abused, and relegated to "common use". The young man responsible for keeping her drugged has AIDS. As Miryea no longer wishes to live the life of a common prostitute, she persuades him to share a needle with her, thus infecting her. Jay's unconscious body is discovered by a Mexican Good Samaritan, who slowly nurses him back to health. His wish for revenge and finding Miryea is the only thing he can think of.... The film is based on a novella written by Jim Harrison and published in Esquire Magazine in 1979. Harrison, who also wrote Legends of the Fall, co-wrote the script. "They pretty much shot the novella," said Harrison. "I was so swept away by it that I cried - I really did. And I"m not known for crying." Variety wrote, "This far-from-perfect rendering of Jim Harrison's shimmering novella has a romantic sweep and elemental power that ultimately transcend its flaws." Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly rated it D and called it a vanity project for Costner. Roger Ebert, writing for The Chicago Sun-Times, rated it 2.5/4 stars and wrote that the film "plays like a showdown between its style and its story." Vincent Canby of The New York Times described it as "soft and aimless, the performances are without conviction." Hal Hinson of The Washington Post wrote that the story becomes so cynical that nothing has meaning. Kevin Costner has always been a favourite of mine with many good films on his CV, specifically during the 80s and 90s. He had that moviestar looks and a great way of finding his characters despite the variation of leads and genre. "Revenge" has that Tony Scott look/vibe to it as all the movies he made. The light (sun beams, mist etc), the settings, the camera angles, the machoism, the violence and the shady morals of life. Not necessary bad, but Scott also makes it look a bit like a standard actioneer, which it´s not fully when looking at the storyline. Friendship, betrayal, love, revenge and death might seem pretty standard, but "Revenge" has this little extra twist in my point of view. The ending is truly tragic and I do like the fact that they kept it and didn´t change it to something else. I like as well that the title and the build up is set up for a classic western showdown, but it takes a different path. Heads up for that. Kevin Costner is fine as Michael J. "Jay" Cochran, Anthony Quinn great as always while Madeleine Stowe is good but not fully spot on as Miryea. Miguel Ferrer and John Leguizamo adds to the weight of the film.

• Sep 13, 2015

Bloody hell; this was a bit full on! It's not just the sex (plenty of that) but it was pretty violent, too. Madeleine Stowe was almost gorgeous enough to turn me straight. Almost.

• Sep 08, 2015

not one of Tony Scott's best, but still worth a look.

not one of Tony Scott's best, but still worth a look.

• Aug 08, 2015

I did not like revenge at all Anthony Quinn and Kevin Costner were very bad in their parts and it had a very bad storyline

• Mar 31, 2015

Too cliche for my taste.

Too cliche for my taste.

• Mar 11, 2015

Well acted by Anthony Quinn, but the story is pure crappy melodrama.

Well acted by Anthony Quinn, but the story is pure crappy melodrama.