Risky Business - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Risky Business Reviews

February 11, 2016
how to get into college
January 29, 2016
The best of it's kind, great chemistry between the young Cruiser and the lovely De Mornay, enhanced by Tangerine Dream's beautiful score. It's also got some of the best lines of eighties cinema. " I've got a trig mid-term tomorrow, and I'm being chased by Guido, the killer pimp".
½ January 17, 2016
Your parents are gone for the week, what do you do? Well call a prostitute over sounds nice! This film shows us all the crazy things that can happen when you have the house to yourself. With all those great comedic opportunities, this film didn't take advantage of enough of them. Tom Cruise is great in this movie and he has his nerdy comic relief friends, his dad's Porsche, and a prostitute with him. This could be comedic gold. Unfortunately, the only time I really laughed was at the famous scene of Tom Cruise dancing around his house to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock N' Roll" A couple chuckles here and there but nothing hysterical. Although it's not as funny as I'd hoped, It still is an enjoyable movie. It's always fun to see a young Tom Cruise act.
½ January 3, 2016
A likeable, charismatic performance from Tom Cruise and writer/director Paul Brickman's surprisingly deep satire help propel Risky Business past its occasional narrative bumps.
December 31, 2015
Movies like this only come around once in a while.
½ December 29, 2015
D+
While Tom Cruise plays a likable character and the film has its enjoyable moments. My question is: Where's the excitement in this slow plot?
½ December 29, 2015
9 out of 10:

Review soon
December 29, 2015
The first sign that Cruise was going to be the star he was with a fantastic performance. He plays a young teen who gets into crazy circumstances while his parents are out of town.
The movie starts out slow but it definitely gets better with each minute.
Demornay plays the love interest; a call girl who after a one night stand, become connected. Their chemistry is awesome and there is a great sense of sexy with her every scene.
The movie makes you feel for the characters, it makes you want them to succeed. It also has you on the edge of your seat hoping success is the final act.

It explores teen angst and growing up along with the consequences of just that.

It's a fun teen movie that set the standard for these types of movies.
Along with Tom Cruise and his fantastic performance, this one might be the best.
A Great background score Also Adds A Lot To The movie.

this movie shows a transformation from teen to adult with some really fun stuff happening in between.
½ December 26, 2015
Although in reality it provides nothing which can be stored for later use, outside of one of the more famous movie sequences ever, it still is a fun way to waste time and makes most teenage boys who aren't dead yet feel good about themselves.
½ December 23, 2015
Kind of overrated to be honest, since people basically hold this up as "the" 80s movie. But that being said, this is still a pretty enjoyable film.
December 23, 2015
"Risky Business " is one of the few teen-angst comedies that succeeds in being hilarious without being too raunchy or absurd and is also thoroughly-engrossing, not to mention that it boasts a spectacular early performance from Tom Cruise.
½ December 13, 2015
Risky Business is like a darker, better version of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It has the same youthful wit and a strong central character in Tom Cruise, and the movie is overall very thrilling and fun.
½ December 5, 2015
More like Risque Business...am I right?

Some moments come across as awkward, others seem like pure fantasy but the film feels very mature and very real most of the time. It's also one of the sexiest, coolest films you will ever see. It's got a real dream-like quality to it. This is also easily my favorite performance of Cruise's as he feels real and has a vulnerability to him I haven't seen in most of his other roles. Rebecca De Mornay is drop dead sexy and brings a charm to her role. You can't help but like our leads. A fantastic film. "Sometimes you've gotta say 'what the fuck'."
Steve Grady
December 5, 2015
"Risky Business" is a great drama film of 1983. "Risky Business" has great acting from "Tom Cruise" and "Rebecca De Mornay". "Risky Business" has a great plot to it. The plot is great but not the most exciting. The music in "Risky Business" is great as well it makes scenes more dramatic. I recommend you watch "Risky Business" as it is a great drama film of 1983. I give "Risky Business" an 8/10.
November 25, 2015
"Risky Business" is a fun and hilarious teenage movie that allows a few nights of adventure to a young Tom Cruise who learns much deeper and darker lessons along the way.
½ November 16, 2015
Risky Business is so much more than a teen comedy, it's a real drama. This brings up the age old question of what will you do when your parents are out. This is the ultimate hyperbole to what could happen on a weekend like that. The story follows Joel, a senior in high school that has big plans to go to Princeton and to become a future enterpriser. However he makes the mistake of his life by calling a sex hotline for a girl named Lana to come over. It's not until the morning after that Joel realizes he messed up big time. What makes this movie so unique is that it manages to be really entertaining and really smart too. At first glance it looks like any other teen comedy with sex, beer, and bullies. In reality it's a drama about a boy and his prostitute. The character of Joel is marvelously played by Tom Cruise who brings this smart, slightly awkward character to life and gives a great performance. Rebecca De Mornay was really good too, she was seductive but really clever and that was kinda interesting. She had intentions that seemed meaningful at times but she was greedy as well, which made her a well rounded character. All of Joel's friends were really funny too like Glen and Barry. These two in particular really acted like they were good real friends to him. The story of this film, as stated before, is smarter than the average teen comedy. What other movie can you think of that involves an aspiring business enterpriser selling prostitutes to pay for all the damages. It's a pretty complex storyline to say out of the blue without spoiling anything. The soundtrack was also really retro and groovy and I thought it blended well with the Chicago nightlife setting. A soundtrack is vital in a movie because sometimes it can break the film but every aspect felt like it should've been there. The thing I didn't enjoy a lot about this film is the ending. He learned his lesson and everything throughout the film but at the very end I was left kind of empty hearted. There was little to no emotional pull in this movie despite its slight coming of age feeling. In the end Risky Business is a unique movie that made me laugh a few times but played out as a really entertaining drama. The biggest disappointment however was just the lack of heart and ending but it's a well acted, well written film. B
½ October 23, 2015
Tom Cruise is Joel Goodson who is ready to task some risks when he finds out his parents will be out of town. He starts off by taking out his dad's Ferrari and then orders a call girl to his place. This only leads to trouble as he finds stuff stolen, the car wrecked and is on a ticking time bomb to get everything fixed. Risky Business was mostly entertaining in this some more adult version of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and the scene with Cruise dancing in his underwear is one of the most well known bits in film.
½ October 19, 2015
A smarter, sharper, and darker coming-of-age drama than those movies with similar premises (like many John Hughes movies.) Risky Business is fun, but in the end a deep examination of teen angst and capitalism. No wonder why this film still stands on its own even to this day.
½ October 18, 2015
Offensive film in which sex is cheapened, and endorsed as a path to manhood. Whether this was supposed to be a satire on cultural norms, I don't know.
October 9, 2015
One of Bugers' best performances...And, this movie still holds up after over 30 plus years. True crafstmanship was put into this film.