Rocky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky Reviews

July 10, 2016
What sets the original apart from the rest of the series (with the exception of Rocky Balboa and Creed) is the emotion and depth. You feel for Rocky because he's supposed to represent the average person facing the world. He's supposed to be us. He's fighting not for his ego, but for himself to live. He's been fighting all his life. Rocky is a beautiful piece of cinema and one of the best and most historic movies ever made.
½ July 5, 2016
Rocky one is beautiful, the soundtrack is spectacular, the photograph showing a depressing Philadelphia is sensational, Stalonne showing that it is a good actor, the script though halfway cliche, is perfect, showing the angusitias and dramas of each character in the film, the fight is fantastic scene to the time, worthy of oscar, Rocky one is almost perfect, maybe some angles of camera (common) and the rhythm is not good, it's still a very movie, very good.
June 29, 2016
One of the biggest classics in cinema that never gets old. After rewatching it after so many years I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed it. Stallone plays such a great character that is humbling and refreshing to see. 5/5
June 19, 2016
Good movie. But pretty slow and boring in many scenes. Love the theme song, training, performances, & fight
June 12, 2016
Since I saw Rocky in 1976 it's the only movie that I have been to where the audience stood up and cheered.
June 12, 2016
Absolute all-time classic. One of the best sports movies ever. Sylvester Stallone is a maestro for bringing Rocky Balboa to life.
June 11, 2016
"Rocky" is a movie I respect simply because it essentially inspired every boxing movie we have had since then. Some of it can feel dated, especially the actual boxing scenes. The movie is very character driven and it chooses to give you bits and pieces of Rocky's life that you have to put together. If this movie came out today, I might've called it predictable, but considering it was released 40 years ago, I give it props for setting the standard of an underdog sports movie.
½ June 7, 2016
Good film! I wanna rate higher but the film is quite slow and boring in parts.
½ June 4, 2016
The first Rocky was very good, and in my opinion got fucked over by every other Rocky ever made.
May 31, 2016
This isn't a unique storyline, but it is done in an emotionally impactful way. The combination of some beautifully shot scenes - I especially loved the ones of Rocky running through working class Philadelphia - and Sly Stallone's heartfelt performance throughout, compels us as viewers to cheer for Rocky's success. He represents the working class American of an immigrant family, who comes to America seeking out opportunities for a better life. Sure, there are some minor scripting flaws, but they're negligible. I absolutely adore Talia Shire as Adrian. She's so lovely.
½ May 30, 2016
Rocky is the quintessential underdog movie that has stood the test of time thanks to its great script, iconic music, and fantastic acting from Stallone and company. The classic story about a down-on-his-luck boxer who gets a shot at the big-time is semi-autobiographical of Stallone's struggles in Hollywood and how he refused to sell his script unless he could play Rocky, becoming a self-made movie star! His acting as a stereotypical, Italian bruiser-type is a little grating at first, but he slips comfortably into the role and you definitely root for him as the film goes on. The supporting cast is exceptional with great work from Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire, Burt Young, and of course: Carl Weathers as Rocky's opponent, Apollo Creed! Rocky's humble beginnings as an enforcer for a mobster was something I didn't expect and it adds a great level of drama to the character as he's struggling to become a better person and be more than just a meat-head. Also to be noted is the iconic theme for Rocky, Flying High Now that jacks you up and makes you feel like you could take on the world! To my surprise, I actually wasn't right about the film's conclusion, thinking I knew how it ended and it was a welcome surprise to be shocked by such a famous movie's ending after all of my preconceptions. This truly is a classic and much like the unforgettable scene of Rocky reaching the top of the steps, the film was a complete triumph and won three oscars including best picture, which was well-deserved! Do yourself a favour, and don't wait as long as I did to watch this outstanding film.
May 23, 2016
This movie never gets boring or old. Perfect mix of romance and action....neither of which I generally like, but just so well done.
May 13, 2016
It's really amazing believe that Sylvester Stallone had made such a great screenplay and stunning performance. Rocky proves that not all action macho it's just a strong men that fight against bad guys in comercial movies, but sometimes are pretty good writers and actor. Dispite the predictable plot and story and the sentimentalism, Rocky still is impressive and make us review the unforgettable American 70's cinema.
May 4, 2016
It's always important to be aware of what you are about to watch whenever you are going to watch a Sylvester Stallone movie. There are multiple movies on his resumé that could have easily been thrown out of the window. "Rocky" is definitely not that movie! This is a movie that he wrote and starred in and showed his talent on both sides of the camera. It is a classic, but beautiful story about the hero who fails but still gets the girl in the end. Stallone plays the main character of Rocky Balboa and he shows all of his talents this time around. He proves that he is someone who is to be taken serious by the audience. The supporting cast, which includes stars like Talia Shire, Carl Weathers and Burgess Meredith helps the story forward and helps give our main guy a good sense of accomplishment in the end. Oh, and a lot of challenges! The twist to the classic love-rival story, ended up being one of the most successful accomplishments of all time. Who would have known...??
May 3, 2016
Rocky (1976) ????
Rare case of an old B-movie story scoring as a masterpiece. Loser Sylvester Stallone gets once in a lifetime opportunity to face legendary boxing champion Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) where he may get the chance to improve his self-respect. Cast is uniformly superb, lit on fire by grouchy coach Meredith, sensitive Young, shy Shire, and gentle Stallone. Training montage scene with Bill Conti's memorable "Gonna Fly Now" is one of the great movie sequences of the 1970s. Absolutely irresistible. Screenplay by Stallone. Academy Awards for Best Picture, Director, Editing. Followed by six sequels.
April 30, 2016
the best boxing movie ever
April 21, 2016
Good characters, Great cinematography, but the atmosphere it creates is bitter, so not a perfect film, but still a must see
½ April 20, 2016
Rocky brings a story that is not simply a sports film with some problems along the way as it ussually happens. This is the story of a guy that is in a bad position and is willing to give everything, even his life, to prove to himself that the world has still a lot to keep moving forward.
April 19, 2016
Although by today's standards probably not too original, it's a great underdog story and really not even a boxing movie.