Romeo and Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo and Juliet Reviews

August 15, 2016
The beautiful sets and performances at the time were just ways that impressed me in which I thought I would not be.
½ April 2, 2016
Perhaps the best adaptation page-by-page of the play despite the flaw in realism foreshadow by the romanticism, magnificent performances of the two leads and the beautiful set locations.
February 1, 2016
I watched this freshman year of high school. I personally prefer the newer version with Leo and Claire. But this is still pretty good
½ January 17, 2016
Powerful portrayal by the young leads. Film works best in portraying the youth of the tragic teens and how their simple desires are thwarted in the complicated mire of the adult world. But direction is over-the-top with too much emoting and over-use of the zoom lens. Gorgeous production. The last twenty minutes are truly heartbreaking and Zefferelli quickly ends iit once the tragic deaths have occurred.
October 25, 2015
Romeo and Juliet is such a familiar source material to me that this movie really works from the amazing source material. Though it has proven over time that it can fail with the 2013 adaptation, this proves if you stick to the script you can do wonders. The cast is excellent, Franco Zeffirelli's direction is amazing, and the costumes and production design are marvelous as always for a Shakespearian period piece. Though I still prefer the Baz Luhrmann adaption for the visual appeal, this is the best traditional adaptation I've seen of a Shakespearian play to screen
September 22, 2015
A classic! Hadn't seen this one since high school. We have two freshman now, so it's time to watch it again.
September 7, 2015
خاطر? ?ا دار?? با ا?? ????
July 6, 2015
The best adaptation of this story that I've seen, having said that, there's not many of them that I can tolerate, this being one of them.
June 11, 2015
Director Zeffirelli and the screenwriters emphasize the youthful passion and romance of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and slightly deemphasize the bawdy humor, social commentary, some of the witty exchanges, and a few side plots (including the final scenes involving Paris), resulting in a streamlined narrative that manages to hurt just a little more than the already heartbreaking play.

Olivia Hussey as Juliet and Leonard Whiting as Romeo are all youth and violent emotion, a winning combination. Their line readings are glorious, though I so wish Hussey had been given the opportunity to deliver Juliet's entire "Farewell!" soliloquy from Act 4, Scene 3. Whiting's shouted reading of "O, I am fortune's fool!" from Act 3, Scene 1 is devastating and chilling.

The setting and cinematography are colorful and vivid, and I love the camerawork. Zeffirelli frames many of his shots so well; I especially love the way he uses windows, arches, and glasswork handles as frames within frame. The men's attire is a little, uh, unexpected, and the women's attire often offers unexpected commentary about the treatment of women at the time.

Indeed, I love, love, love this film, even as it tears my heart out and stomps on it.
½ June 9, 2015
Shakepeare adaptations are hard to critique. They can't always replicate the original material, but this one manages to just hit the target
June 5, 2015
Zac Efron, I mean, Romeo and Juliet is a good telling of the story.
May 17, 2015
Lame acting brings this adaptation of Shakespeare's most famous story to the dumps.
May 13, 2015
80% on my Tomatometer.
½ May 8, 2015
SHIT SUCKED!! BAD ACTING!! CHEAP COSTUMES!! HORRIBLE CAMERA WORK!!
April 16, 2015
A 15-year-old actress was nude in this movie, keep in mind this movie is rated PG and PG-13 wasn't invented until about 20 years later... What the hell were they thinking?
½ April 8, 2015
Watched this in high school English class. It is, for better or worse, a faithful adaptation of the play. The leads are very good in the roles, and the story is obviously timeless, if you like the story. Overall, if you like the story/play, you will love the movie. If not, well, I'm sure you know what you're getting into
March 9, 2015
Hard to believe this film was made 7 years after west side story. While it is still more interesting. The film still misses some key elements from the book.
February 7, 2015
Very good screen version with vivid performances which is true to the original play.
½ January 13, 2015
Enthralled by some parts, wanted to throw the DVD player at the wall in others. If you haven't read the play you probably won't understand what is going on.