Romeo and Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo and Juliet Reviews

April 6, 2017
10 out of 10:

Great acting, cinematography, and visuals make this adaptation the best.
February 15, 2017
A good adaptation of the play, even if its not my favorite. I personally am not a fan of Shakespeare movies, but this one is good. recommend it.
January 6, 2017
Easily William Shakespeare's most famous play. This is certainly an adaptation that deserves recognition.
½ October 20, 2016
Add a Review (Optional)
October 16, 2016
Romeo and Juliet
Anything can happen in life for a reason, and at the end of the day fate has a special way in making it all happen. The tragic love story of William Shakespeare's classic, "Romeo and Juliet" fate decides the two lover's destiny together along with many other factors. The power of fate brought Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet together yet it also decided to lead them into their own end.
Romeo and Juliet movie of 1968 was never the best of all times because both young lovers killed themselves. It was the most well-known tragedy by ''William Shakespeare'' which only symbolizes the image of young spoilt love by two young teenagers ''Romeo and Juliet''. Franco Zeffereli's films sensitive popularization of teenagers ''Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey'' depicted the complex universalization of two young characters to play Romeo and Juliet love story. The characters sneak between bedrooms and events, behind the backs of hard-hearted adults. When Romeo first scouts Juliet, you believe even before he speaks that he's irreparably in love. . The tragedy of the two teenagers ''Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey'' evidently proved that such love is impossible. Romeo and Juliet are the youngest members of their clans, the Montagues and Capulets, families have been at war with one another for many years. Bloodshed, bitterness and betrayal litters the two clans' histories, both sides too proud and too consumed with anger to broker a lasting peace. In these overwrought times, Romeo and Juliet fall in love with one another and attempt to continue their forbidden relationships, despite the heartache and grief it would cause their parents if they ever found out. When Juliet was denied to marry Romeo, she pretends to kill herself so that she and Romeo can be together. Romeo finds out that Juliet is dead but he did not know that she was pretending to be dead so, he ends up killing himself and when Juliet wakes up, she notices that Romeo is dead and she stabs herself and they both die, which makes both sides of the family sad.
Family long feud between Montagues and Capulets, are bad example portrayed in movie. The nature of the quarrel between Tybalt (Michael York) and Mercuto(John McEnery) are without cause for many years. The continuous ancient grudges between the two families had influence throughout the whole town of fair Verona. Although the Prince has outlawed any fighting associated with the feud, Capulet's servants are still prepared to do battle between the two families. But the fact is that the Capulet's and Montague cannot even remember the reasons for their feud .Perhaps, there is a possibly which may occurred so long ago that creates Romeo and Juliet's demise more catastrophe. This ridiculously focuses on honor and disgrace in both Capulet and Mutagen's family's long grudges that forced Romeo and Juliet to seek a place elsewhere from their homes. Both families suffer immense grief from the loss of their children as a result and they are left with the harrowing realization that they don't even remember why they were fighting. The tragedy of which is clearly trifling at this point in time, was only resolved through the deaths of two innocent young people. Essentially, Romeo and Juliet paid the price for the folly of their older family members, who should have known better than to feed their own pride by preserving their feud. With the deaths of their loved ones, their selfish behaviors are thrown into unambiguous relief; both families realize just how useless the feud was in the first place, and that their children lost their lives for no good reason. Hatred breeds disaster, and the feuding families' blind chauvinism is punished with the deaths of their lovely children that they could not even remember the reasons for their wrangles
Poor background selection was over casted and resulted to dull color that made the movie boring. Every decorative phrase, translating the sixteenth-century style which doesn't translate any fresh meaning into the modern days. The photographed had no great intensity (even a hand-held camera for the dueling scenes) and beauty. As in his first film, "The Taming of the Shrew," Zeffirelli has failed to control his colors carefully. Everything in the background is in red color, brown and yellow, dusty and bleary sunlight, except for the fresh green of the garden during the balcony scene and the darkness of the tomb. Furthermore, the nude scene in a bright light worsens the movie that can't serve the purpose.
The author believes in mind that Franco Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet" is the most exciting film of Shakespeare ever made. Not because it is greater drama than Olivier's "Henry V," because it is not. Nor is it greater cinema than Welles' "Falstaff." But it is greater Shakespeare than either because it has the passion, the sweat, the violence, the poetry, the love and the tragedy in the most immediate terms I can imagine. Indeed, this argument carries some idea in the matter however he contradicts himself to amalgamate violence, love and passion to make the movie worst of all time. True love doesn't built hates, mistrusts and the worst of all death as it is portrayed in Romeo and Juliet. Furthermore, Juliet was just thirteen years old and Romeo Sixteen years that the characters weight more than their ages as it portrayed in the movie. Therefore, Romeo and Juliet, was never a true love story and because they killed themselves, it can't be rated the best movie of all time.
Of course, many will probably disagree with the assertion that there was no family feud between Montagues and Capulets. Some might even suggest that it is a small misunderstanding between two families and not at a bad example to children and other families. This claim carries little weight given Budges statement that, ''There's no feud between the Montagues and Capulets, and it's just a misunderstanding''. However, both two families characterized the worst example that no parents would like their kids to see. They are driven are driven by power and prejudice that kept them fighting until their children ended up their lives. Therefore, even when the families resolve their differences in the end; it was too late to save Romeo and Juliet.
The Romeo and Juliet is Shakespaer of William' writt
August 15, 2016
The beautiful sets and performances at the time were just ways that impressed me in which I thought I would not be.
½ April 2, 2016
Perhaps the best adaptation page-by-page of the play despite the flaw in realism foreshadow by the romanticism, magnificent performances of the two leads and the beautiful set locations.
February 1, 2016
I watched this freshman year of high school. I personally prefer the newer version with Leo and Claire. But this is still pretty good
½ January 17, 2016
Powerful portrayal by the young leads. Film works best in portraying the youth of the tragic teens and how their simple desires are thwarted in the complicated mire of the adult world. But direction is over-the-top with too much emoting and over-use of the zoom lens. Gorgeous production. The last twenty minutes are truly heartbreaking and Zefferelli quickly ends iit once the tragic deaths have occurred.
October 25, 2015
Romeo and Juliet is such a familiar source material to me that this movie really works from the amazing source material. Though it has proven over time that it can fail with the 2013 adaptation, this proves if you stick to the script you can do wonders. The cast is excellent, Franco Zeffirelli's direction is amazing, and the costumes and production design are marvelous as always for a Shakespearian period piece. Though I still prefer the Baz Luhrmann adaption for the visual appeal, this is the best traditional adaptation I've seen of a Shakespearian play to screen
September 22, 2015
A classic! Hadn't seen this one since high school. We have two freshman now, so it's time to watch it again.
September 7, 2015
خاطر? ?ا دار?? با ا?? ????
July 6, 2015
The best adaptation of this story that I've seen, having said that, there's not many of them that I can tolerate, this being one of them.
June 11, 2015
Director Zeffirelli and the screenwriters emphasize the youthful passion and romance of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and slightly deemphasize the bawdy humor, social commentary, some of the witty exchanges, and a few side plots (including the final scenes involving Paris), resulting in a streamlined narrative that manages to hurt just a little more than the already heartbreaking play.

Olivia Hussey as Juliet and Leonard Whiting as Romeo are all youth and violent emotion, a winning combination. Their line readings are glorious, though I so wish Hussey had been given the opportunity to deliver Juliet's entire "Farewell!" soliloquy from Act 4, Scene 3. Whiting's shouted reading of "O, I am fortune's fool!" from Act 3, Scene 1 is devastating and chilling.

The setting and cinematography are colorful and vivid, and I love the camerawork. Zeffirelli frames many of his shots so well; I especially love the way he uses windows, arches, and glasswork handles as frames within frame. The men's attire is a little, uh, unexpected, and the women's attire often offers unexpected commentary about the treatment of women at the time.

Indeed, I love, love, love this film, even as it tears my heart out and stomps on it.
June 5, 2015
Zac Efron, I mean, Romeo and Juliet is a good telling of the story.
May 17, 2015
Lame acting brings this adaptation of Shakespeare's most famous story to the dumps.
May 13, 2015
80% on my Tomatometer.
½ May 8, 2015
SHIT SUCKED!! BAD ACTING!! CHEAP COSTUMES!! HORRIBLE CAMERA WORK!!
April 16, 2015
A 15-year-old actress was nude in this movie, keep in mind this movie is rated PG and PG-13 wasn't invented until about 20 years later... What the hell were they thinking?
½ April 8, 2015
Watched this in high school English class. It is, for better or worse, a faithful adaptation of the play. The leads are very good in the roles, and the story is obviously timeless, if you like the story. Overall, if you like the story/play, you will love the movie. If not, well, I'm sure you know what you're getting into