Runaway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Runaway Reviews

January 1, 2017
I still remember this movie and how much I enjoyed it. The robots from the movie are reality now and I just saw an article today about DARPA succeeded in creating corner turning, bullets that hunt their target. Once again, Crichton proved prescient with technological wonders.
November 22, 2016
Pretty. Pretty. Pretty bad. Another @HDTGM classic!!!
November 16, 2016
Entertaining schlock. Tom Selleck is the only thing holding this all together. Cool to see Gene Simmons act though.
July 24, 2016
In the near future, where robots are commonplace-a part of everyday life like any other electrical appliance-and are just as prone to malfunctions. But when a robot malfunctions, it could pose a threat to people or property. Such robots are known as "runaways." Since they are more dangerous than the average machine, they are handled by a division of the police trained in robotics. The "runaway" squad, however, is treated as an easy and unexciting assignment and often ridiculed. Sgt. Jack R. Ramsay (Tom Selleck) is a veteran police officer who joined the runaway squad after discovering his previously unknown fear of heights, which resulted in a family's death at the hands of a man he let escape. After years on the job, Ramsay has found himself one of the division's few real experts. His new partner Karen Thompson (Cynthia Rhodes) is enthusiastic about the job, but he assures her there is little excitement involved, saying that mostly it involves flipping a switch. This changes when they find themselves handling a new threat-the first robotic homicide. Investigating a household robot that murdered a family with a kitchen knife and handgun, Jack discovers strange integrated circuits, which not only override a robot's safety features but also direct it to attack humans. These circuits are not hacked chips, but created from a series of master templates, enabling them to be mass-produced. Despite being unable to learn anything from uncooperative informants who end up dead, Ramsay refuses to give up and soon discovers the perpetrator is sociopathic genius Dr. Charles Luther (Gene Simmons). Luther, while working for a defense contractor, developed a program that allows a robot to thermographically identify a human from amidst cover and to even differentiate between humans. Seeing the profit potential, he killed his fellow researchers and tried to sell the technology on the black market. After a botched arrest attempt, Thompson is left with an unexploded shell in her arm which Ramsay removes. From the extracted shell, they also learn about another of Luther's weapons, smart bullets: miniature heat seeking missiles that lock onto a human target's unique heat signature, pursuing them wherever they run, even around corners...

"Runaway" received mixed reviews. The New York Times said "Mr Crichton has a much better feel for the gadgets than its human players". The Los Angeles Times called it "assured, thoroughly cinematic filmmaking, its flourish of ingenious gadgetary not overwhelming its human dimension." The Chicago Tribune thought the movie began excitingly but descended into a "routine chase thriller" in which Selleck was a poor lead ("he's too nice, too familiar to be a big star in the movies"). This is a classic 80s cop thriller on one hand, but at the same time itīs not. With a Michael Crichton storyline based on robotics and their entrance into everyday life "Runaway" becomes something more in my eyes. And I do like what Crichton has done with the script. Yes, it does have some 80s campiness to it, but I reckon thereīs still entertainment value. Tom Selleck works fine as the veteran Sgt. Jack R. Ramsay and his counterpart Gene Simmons as Dr. Charles Luther has a solid bad guy presence but lacks a bit of acting skills. While both lovely Cynthia Rhodes and lovely Kirstie Alley ends up way too much in the background and shouldīve had a bit more room in the film in my opinion. And to be honest the ending is maybe a bit haphazard and sudden. The film accurately predicts domestic robots, video mail, camera drones, and that police officers would use semi-automatic pistols as sidearms (in 1984, most police officers used revolvers). I enjoyed re-watching "Runaway" and it ends up there amongst the better cop thrillers of the 80s despite flaws and campiness.
July 20, 2016
What's not to love about a neat sci-if with Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons, a great soundtrack, good writing, gotta Cynthia Rhodes, pre-obnoxious-cow Kirstie Alley when she still looked good, guided bullets, and little acid-injecting robot bug thingies? Nothing!
½ November 2, 2015
The films ambition is undone by some truly terrible writing and direction. The concept is interesting idea and could be explored further with a remake. The budget hampers the film and the misguided score which seems to be overbearing.
Tom selleck is quite solid in the lead and this is another clear career choice that stopped he's career from taking off. The support cast is just poor, this is solely the fault of the director who makes to many errors.
In typical eighties fashion it had bad ideas and an over the top ideas that are laughable.
October 28, 2015
A good action film of scifi that bring good memories of my childhood.
October 27, 2015
Runaway action has Selleck as police robotics expert assigned to shut down 'runaway' robots gone awry. The stakes escalate when corporate Gene Simmons (who at least has a screen presence) generates murderous robots for his purposes. Time has not done any favours to the storyline, but fun to look back on this film. Box Office disappointment that was overshadowed by other sci-fi giants in 1984.
October 12, 2015
This is a movie set in the near future about cops whose squad is tasked with deactivating malfunctioning robots. It feels like a heavily toned-down Blade Runner (Scott 1982).
½ September 9, 2015
One of the most dreamy and classic movies ive ever seen, it's an honor to be alive these days... the Tom Selleck days.
July 11, 2015
Gene Simmons make a good creepy bad guy.
½ April 13, 2015
A silly,campy Sci-fi goodness..... a most unabashed guilty pleasure.
April 7, 2015
My favorite Tom Selleck movie. I also totally can't tell him apart from Burt Reynolds, apparently.
½ February 7, 2015
I remember seeing this as a kid in the 1980's and enjoying its technological fantasy. It certainly hasn't aged well if viewed now though.
October 28, 2014
Great 80's sci-fi flick with killer robots and gene simmons. When gene simmons rings the doorbell at the beginning of the film, he stares at the camera with a face that looks so evil it could turn medusa to stone!
August 27, 2014
An underestimated high tech film if its time.
July 4, 2014
Even though, he sports the most home erotic moustache in the history of cinema. Selleck is the balls in this. The sh*t special effects have no impact on it and it still holds up well after thirty years. Simmons is the balls as the baddie and them spider robots are freaky cunts.
½ June 15, 2014
This was a fast-paced movie that really delivered. I saw it when I was a teenager and I still have fond memories.
April 23, 2014
just rewatched this feels kinda dated now but it was cool in '84.
January 4, 2014
I have to watch this movie again to give it a proper rating since I haven't seen it since the 90s probably; however, this film has one of the scenes that have been most memorable to me in science fiction- the robotic spiders & Gene Simmons. What's funny is...I've been trying to identify this movie for years & usually describe it as a movie that has a guy in it who looks like Gene Simmons but isn't Gene Simmons. ha! Who sniffs thunk it actually was Gene Simmons? Anyway, I finally discovered it today (010414) out of boredom & a random online search for 'old science fiction movies with robotic spiders'. yay!