Runaway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Runaway Reviews

July 20, 2016
What's not to love about a neat sci-if with Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons, a great soundtrack, good writing, gotta Cynthia Rhodes, pre-obnoxious-cow Kirstie Alley when she still looked good, guided bullets, and little acid-injecting robot bug thingies? Nothing!
½ November 2, 2015
The films ambition is undone by some truly terrible writing and direction. The concept is interesting idea and could be explored further with a remake. The budget hampers the film and the misguided score which seems to be overbearing.
Tom selleck is quite solid in the lead and this is another clear career choice that stopped he's career from taking off. The support cast is just poor, this is solely the fault of the director who makes to many errors.
In typical eighties fashion it had bad ideas and an over the top ideas that are laughable.
October 28, 2015
A good action film of scifi that bring good memories of my childhood.
October 27, 2015
Runaway action has Selleck as police robotics expert assigned to shut down 'runaway' robots gone awry. The stakes escalate when corporate Gene Simmons (who at least has a screen presence) generates murderous robots for his purposes. Time has not done any favours to the storyline, but fun to look back on this film. Box Office disappointment that was overshadowed by other sci-fi giants in 1984.
October 12, 2015
This is a movie set in the near future about cops whose squad is tasked with deactivating malfunctioning robots. It feels like a heavily toned-down Blade Runner (Scott 1982).
½ September 9, 2015
One of the most dreamy and classic movies ive ever seen, it's an honor to be alive these days... the Tom Selleck days.
July 11, 2015
Gene Simmons make a good creepy bad guy.
½ April 13, 2015
A silly,campy Sci-fi goodness..... a most unabashed guilty pleasure.
April 7, 2015
My favorite Tom Selleck movie. I also totally can't tell him apart from Burt Reynolds, apparently.
½ February 7, 2015
I remember seeing this as a kid in the 1980's and enjoying its technological fantasy. It certainly hasn't aged well if viewed now though.
October 28, 2014
Great 80's sci-fi flick with killer robots and gene simmons. When gene simmons rings the doorbell at the beginning of the film, he stares at the camera with a face that looks so evil it could turn medusa to stone!
August 27, 2014
An underestimated high tech film if its time.
July 4, 2014
Even though, he sports the most home erotic moustache in the history of cinema. Selleck is the balls in this. The sh*t special effects have no impact on it and it still holds up well after thirty years. Simmons is the balls as the baddie and them spider robots are freaky cunts.
½ June 15, 2014
This was a fast-paced movie that really delivered. I saw it when I was a teenager and I still have fond memories.
April 23, 2014
just rewatched this feels kinda dated now but it was cool in '84.
January 4, 2014
I have to watch this movie again to give it a proper rating since I haven't seen it since the 90s probably; however, this film has one of the scenes that have been most memorable to me in science fiction- the robotic spiders & Gene Simmons. What's funny is...I've been trying to identify this movie for years & usually describe it as a movie that has a guy in it who looks like Gene Simmons but isn't Gene Simmons. ha! Who sniffs thunk it actually was Gene Simmons? Anyway, I finally discovered it today (010414) out of boredom & a random online search for 'old science fiction movies with robotic spiders'. yay!
May 25, 2013
Runaway has every right to be a direct-to-video piece of crap, but since it was released in theaters and isn't a piece of crap, it's much better than you'd expect. A lot of films like Total Recall, Blade Runner and Lethal Weapon leapt to mind while I was watching this. It doesn't really look like those films or have the same situations, but there's definitely unintentional similarities (and maybe some not so unintentional). Tom Selleck turns in a great performance as a cop in the future who is assigned to repair or take out robots when they go haywire. The film also stars Gene Simmons as the bad guy (kudos), Cynthia Rhodes, Kirstie Alley, G.W. Bailey, Joey Cramer and a number of other familiar faces. The film was also written and directed by the late Michael Crichton, as well as having a score by the late great Jerry Goldsmith. I liked the characters in the movie the most and while the special effects and the robots themselves aren't all that much, it's the characters that make this movie fun and engaging. Severely underrated and mostly unseen by today's audiences, I think that it's definitely in need of a good revival.
May 13, 2013
Gene simmons from KISS is the villian.
½ April 3, 2013
1984 was the year robots were scary. Unfortunately for the makers of this one, that was all the work of The Terminator.

Runaway is set in what by now might be an alternate present. In this universe, robots are cheaper than minimum wage workers, so people embrace them for all sorts of functions, in all sorts of environments. There are construction robots, household robots and security guard robots. Unfortunately, like real machines, they rarely function exactly as people want them to. Mostly this means they clumsily break down and start running around or throwing stuff off of buildings. And for those situations, we have Magnum P.I., supervised by captain Harris from Police Academy.

But then the evil Gene Simmons from Kiss comes into play, and makes technology his bitch, turning all technology into his eyes, ears, and weapons. Yes, the same clumsy, realistic robots. Okay, granted, writer and director Michael Crichton doesn't capture exactly the same amount of awe and suspense here that still has people debating how much better his book Jurassic Park was compared to the film, but overall it's fun to watch. The movie has the feel of a cult classic all over it, predictable plotlines, cop show clichés, the works, and in the end it's rather enjoyable, and hasn't aged too badly. But for me the main appeal of the movie is probably still the robots. I can't help but think that if not mobile phones but robots had become the great technology craze of our time, yes, they would have looked and worked like that (except smaller, nicer polished and with more Apple logos). It's amusing to watch for any science fiction fan.
March 5, 2013
Impressive science and technology for the time. Gene Simmons plays a great role.