Scarecrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scarecrow Reviews

October 21, 2012
Hackman and Pacino are terrific in this underrated road movie, an honest and refreshing character study about two different men who develop an unlikely bond - and the effect it causes on each of them. A great drama that can be funny and also surprisingly touching.
September 1, 2012
Brilliant performances by Hackman and Pacino. But the script lack consistency of a timeless classic.
Yet very touching.
August 27, 2012
An emotional film with two superb performances--scarecrows are beautiful!!
½ August 20, 2012
It's just okay. It really comes alive in the last 45 minutes or so.
August 1, 2012
Al Pacino i Gene Hackman tuka glumat ludo. Filmot e onaka,moze za toa vreme bil nesto,posto dobil Zlatna Palma vo Kan,no nema nekoj kvalitet kako film.
½ April 25, 2012
Maybe Gene at his All Time Best?
½ March 8, 2012
A little-known Pacino movie with Al and Hackman as two hobos falling in and out of luck on the road to Pittsburgh. Hackman is on Popeye form as the irascible and unpredictable Max while Pacino only partially succeeds as the sad clown whose positive philosophy is derailed halfway through the film. It has its moments of pathos and humour but its not one of Pacino's best.
½ December 25, 2011
The best buddy movie!!!! Hackman and Pacino, on the road, struggling to settle down, and the theme, men's dreams and sorrow - how can I not love this movie??? GREAT film, especially its structure and ending. Symbol of 70s American cinema.
December 2, 2011
See it see it see it. Underated and rarely seen. These two were at the top of their game at this time in their lives and the history of American film.
½ November 28, 2011
Very funny ! Al Pacino is hilarious and Gene Hackman puts in a good performance too, the movie slowly gets worse but the end is great.
October 17, 2011
This one has stayed with me more than I thought it would. For long periods Scarecrow does seem to be a little unfocused, I was unsure whether it was a drama or a comedy. However in the closing 45 minutes or so it does come together and proves to be a very good buddy-movie with strong performances from Pacino and Hackman who share a fine chemistry which like all great relationships takes a while to develop. Once it does it is rewarding, as is Scarecrow, a film which deserves a wider release for sure.
½ September 11, 2011
Scarecrow has one of Pacino and Hackman's best performances. I'm completely surprised they did not get nominated. Pacino plays a character that I've never seen him play before. Instead of getting violent, Lion believes that you can just make someone laugh and everything will be ok. That's why scarecrows stay away from the field. Max thinks he's crazy. Sometimes you have to rough someone up to get them to stop. Pacino being the comedic and light-hearted character? Really? Of course you have Scent of a Woman, but he's a tough prick in that film. The problem with the film is that everything explores this idea without being very creative. They give you so many cliche things for them to do together, and nothing really comes about from most of it. But the performances draw the audiences in. I was pretty bored by the beginning. A long shot of Lion and Max meeting for the first time trying to hitch a ride. I'm sure many people say it's a brilliant opening, but I just thought it was dull. The jail scene is heartbreaking, because we have had hammered into us so much Lion's ideas of the scarecrow.

When the guy first starts coming onto Lion he tries to make him laugh to get him out of the situation. It doesn't work. Instead he gets the shit kicked out of him and he gets raped. This is when you need Max's no-nonsense ideals. And then his reaction from his conversation with his ex is pretty devastating. We think maybe he has seen through her bullshit, but he hasn't. The scene with the kids at the fountain is done so well. At first it's so cheerful. He plays with the little boys and they love him, but then the shot of the demon lets us know he is about to turn. It's a great ending, but there were so many dull parts that I really had to push myself through. Still worth watching for some memorable performances.
August 17, 2011
Two separate drifters trying to catch a ride end up becoming friends and journeying east. One, an ex-sailor (Al Pacino) wants to get to Detroit to see his kid while the other, an ex-con (Gene Hackman) who has recently been released from jail, is trying to get to Pittsburgh to start up his car wash business. Scarecrow is a film from the Golden Era of the 1970s americana which would probably never have been made at any other time. These two men journey together across country meeting various folks and learning about each other and themselves. It's a character piece and both Al Pacino and Gene Hackman are great, with Pacino maybe giving his best performance ever. Its a slow paced film but it all starts to come together towards the end making a rather harrowing portrait about an unlikely friendship among two drifters and these unforgotten souls journey to try and make a better life for themselves.
July 25, 2011
I have no idea why this was in my queue, but I ended up enjoying it so I'm not complaining.
½ June 24, 2011
Al Pacino.....I love you man !!!
March 22, 2011
bien bien sec ! decevant vu les deux acteurs !!
½ March 22, 2011
Big disapointment. Kind of Midnight cowboy, Boxcar Bertha Spin off about bumming around america. Lacks character and scenaristic depth. Hackman is loud and unentertaining, Pacino is better but has a lot of work to do. Overall slow and bitter tasting.
½ March 21, 2011