The Scarlet Pimpernel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Scarlet Pimpernel Reviews

½ May 9, 2016
This TV version of The Scarlet Pimpernel has a game cast and lush production values. I was intrigued for the sword fight at the end, but it never hurts to have a scheming Ian McKellen as your villain. The movie is entertaining with enough adventure for viewers.
October 7, 2014
Despite it being a mishmash of two Scarlet Pimpernel novels, the brilliance of the character shines through.
January 31, 2014
One of the best versions ever. An all star cast and an excellent storyline from start to finish. definitely one for the collection.
½ September 8, 2013
A good adventure.. Some really funny lines too
January 26, 2013
Excelente película. Trama desarrollada durante la Revolución Francesa. Apegada a la novela escrita por la Baronesa Orczy (clásico de Literatura Universal). Género de aventuras. Romántica.
December 7, 2012
This was very detailed period caper about that pimpernel character.
November 4, 2012
We own this on DVD and VHS and have watched it over and over every time we find a friend who hasn't yet seen it. Should be a classic. The light-hearted treatment of the seriousness of saving as many as possible from "Madame le Guillotine" during the bloody French Revolution is delightful. The music track is memorable, with tunes you'll be humming the next day. The story, bitter-sweet. Period customs and costumes, delightful.

The Scarlet Pimpernel became to prototype of the modern hero with a secret identity. Anthony Andrews sets the bar high. Jane Seymour not only lends her beauty, but her acting tugs at your heartstrings.

You must see.
September 12, 2012
Yeah I know I'm a big fat dork
½ July 27, 2012
French revolution, Zorro like super hero, beautiful lady, love and adventure; The Scarlet Pimpernel has it all, but the incoherent screenplay somewhat hinders the films resolve.

Scarlet Pimpernel is not your average super hero by modern standards; An English nobleman masking his true identity by posing as a trendy fool in order to save French revolution victims from the guillotine can be classified uncommon. Anthony Andrews fills the boots of Sir Percy Blakeney/Scarlet Pimpernel marvelously and his extravagant take on Sir Percy Blakeney and how he turns in a blink of an eye into gallant Scarlet Pimpernel is just fun to watch. In addition the the ambiance of French revolution, impressive costumes, picture perfect Jane Seymour as Marguerite and Ian McKellen's terrific act the nemesis Chauvelin all support the film in becoming a great adventure film.

However there is a rather obvious downside to the films adaptation from novel to film which cannot be bypassed. The script seems to follow the novel very closely which makes the films screenplay a rather hectic affair at times. The pace in which the characters change locations in the film is enough to make the viewers head spin, but luckily for the story is simple and easy enough to follow so that the straight novel adaptation does not ruin the experience totally. Still I feel the film could have been much more coherent and better with more time spent adjusting the novel into film format.
½ May 10, 2012
I have never in my life seen a more boring movie. I cannot believe that at any point in time this was accepted as entertainment. I believe this much less today. This movie does not deserve an 85% rating by any standard. It is most likely that the only people who reviewed this movie are the ones obsessed with the book and nobody else that has even the slightest bit of taste even knows it exists. I not only wish I had not watched this movie but am considering shooting myself just because of it.
April 10, 2012
One of my favorite movies of all time.
April 6, 2012
The Scarlet Pimpernel: truly this is acting at it's finest, Jane Seymour still as beautiful as ever in this swashbuckling, enchanting film; Anthony Andrews is superb in this role and with a cast of well known actors playing equally in the plot, this movie is a must see for all ages, and yes this is a part of my collection.
February 8, 2012
I love this movie. It is the best ever!!
January 13, 2012
All I have to say is, "So much... for French fashion." XD
January 2, 2012
its a really LONG movie... boring
December 5, 2011
There are few movies that I remember completely detesting and this is one of them. This was so stupid. The last time I hated a movie this much was when I saw Twilight. Avoid at all costs if you like movies. Anderson's performance was completely hoarse though we did get some decent performances from Mckellen and Seymour. Despite that this was a crock of shit. At least this has the excuse of being a TV movie.
December 2, 2011
skip this and see the earlier version starring leslie howard (ashley wilkes in gone with the wind) far better
November 25, 2011
I absolutely love this movie. It took me watching it several times to catch all the nuances and "get" the humor. But it is one of my all time favorites. Very witty movie.
November 6, 2011
Incredible art direction, that's about it. But still worth your time
April 17, 2011
Roger Ebert wrote of the movie "Goodbye, Lover", "This is the kind of movie that might be materially improved by frequent hoots of derision." The Scarlet Pimpernel is like that. It's definitely not good, but it's great fun to watch and obnoxiously comment upon with a few like-minded friends. Anthony Andrews has fun as the Scarlet Pimpernel's emptyheaded cover and Ian McKellen is masterful as always. But the overheated dialogue is written with little grace or flair, the supporting cast is less than stellar, and ultimately The Scarlet Pimpernel languishes in mediocrity with all the tiresome excesses and cliches of the historical drama.