Scrooge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooge Reviews

October 17, 2016
This musical adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" is clearly inspired by the success of "Oliver!", and while it's not a film that manages to live up to it's inspiration, it has a lot going for it. As an adaptation of "A Christmas Carol", it works well. Albert Finney makes a good, if perhaps overly mannered, Scrooge. The sets and production design are quite magnificent. There's a great supporting cast, particularly Alec Guinness as Jacob Marley and Kenneth More as the Ghost of Christmas Present. The main issue is that for a lot of the running time, it doesn't feel like it should really be a musical. All of the songs are written by Leslie Bricusse, and they are a mixed bag. Like his music for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips", there's a lot of slow, meandering songs that only serve to bog down the pace. A few songs really do shine though, and the film manages to end with a production number that highlights the best two songs of the lot, which finishes the film on a really high note.
June 16, 2016
One of my favorite musicals. In a lot of ways, this movie is Christmas for me.
January 10, 2016
Song and dance were meant to make this a fun musical version of A Christmas Carol, but it still manages to be fairly dull at times. I liked it, but nowhere near as much as I thought I would. It didn't help that a lot of the songs were hokey and amateurish. (First and only viewing - 12/12/2010)
December 27, 2015
Thank You Very Much for this film! It's been a family tradition for years (so maybe I'm a little biased) but this flick is massively under-appreciated. The lyrics are delightfully tongue-in-cheek, as is Alec Guiness in the role of Jacob Marley. The entire cast seems to be having a jolly time. I'd say it's actually as funny as the Muppet version. If you must have only one version of A Christmas Carol, then this is the one that should be on your shelf.
½ December 21, 2015
Certainly the most spectacular version of A Christmas Carol but the songs are a little hit and miss. All very entertaining and there are some good spooky bits, but I prefer the more low key dramatic versions of the story.
December 20, 2015
My all-time favorite Christmas movie.
½ December 15, 2015
Albert Finney is my favorite Ebenezer Scrooge, though his portrayal has the subtlety of a hammer. I saw this movie in the theater in 1970, and on TV and later video quite frequently after, so yes -- it has a great deal of nostalgic value for me. I know "Thank You Very Much" is the popular favorite, but the song that sticks with me even more (and one I hum to myself frequently when I'm happy...silly me!) is "I Like Life". I like drinking the drink I'm drinking!!!
November 28, 2015
Currently watching the best version of Scrooge ever made!!!! Do not understand how anyone can not like the music in this version. Was the soundtrack of Christmas when I was growing up...and still is.
September 22, 2015
Forget "It's a Wonderful Life". This is the definitive Christmas film. Great cast, memorable songs and a brilliant performance by Albert Finney.
½ August 22, 2015
Although this film wins the award for "Just END THIS ALREADY" with layers of songs and dancing when the logical (and written) ending comes along, I did find the rest of this surprisingly good. Finney plays a pretty good Scrooge, the story and music are what's best about this version though.
½ December 25, 2014
My all time favorite version!
December 25, 2014
This is the version of 'A Christmas Carol' I grew up on. Was on every year when I was a kid.
Wasn't till much later in life did I see the none edited for TV version where Scrooge goes to Hell.
Just got this on Blu-ray and it looks and sounds great. Still a classic one to watch during the Holiday season.

12/25/14: Always fun to watch this one on Christmas
December 8, 2014
This 1970 version of Charles Dickens immortal story is in my humble opinion, along with the Bill Murray one, the best version there is, it's a wonderful musical too, filled with great songs (THANK YOU VERY MUCH!) a sense of genuine creepiness and horror to the darker elements of the story and one of the best feel good endings ever. Albert Finny deserves very special mention too, his is for me the definitive portrayal of the character. A really lovely film that never fails to warm me up and make me believe for a little while at least that there really is enough goodness in the world to overcome the darkness.
½ August 20, 2014
Maybe the best shot retelling with big bold scenes yet a tad wanting on the delivery.
December 25, 2013
A hammy and average version of the popular tale.
December 25, 2013
Certainly not the best adaptation of A Christmas Carol but for a musical version it's not bad. The songs don't overpower the film and overall it works.
December 19, 2013
Best version of the Dickens classic ever! The songs are wonderful and toe-tapping! Nothing else gets me in the Christmas film like this version.
½ December 19, 2013
dickens as a musical bah-humbug
December 11, 2013
probably my favorite live action Christmas film. I love the music, the acting, everything. at turns, funny, sweet and touching-just great.
December 10, 2013
The story is five star but the songs are pedestrian and dull and drag the film down. The George C. Scott version is still the gold standard.