Scrooge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooge Reviews

December 7, 2013
It's not Christmas without Scrooge.
½ November 4, 2013
There have been dozens of adaptions of A Christmas Carol over the years. Some better than others, but with each bringing something new or interesting to the beloved story. Now, I don't consider myself to be an authority on A Christmas Carol- I haven't read the book, and I certainly haven't seen all of the movies. But I can say with certainty that Scrooge will likely please even the grouchiest of humbugs.

You know the story: An old grump named Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by three ghosts representing the past, present, and future respectively. They have come so that Scrooge might see the error in his ways, and redeem himself before he permanently dooms himself in the afterlife.

Scrooge does everything a Christmas movie should do. It provides a Christmas-y atmosphere, it references plenty of Christmas carols, and it leaves you all warm and fuzzy inside when the film ends. If you love Christmas, you will more than likely enjoy yourself while watching Scrooge.

Something worth noting is that Scrooge is a musical, and therefore has a large number of songs. Though some merely consist of characters saying rhyming dialogue without even singing. The songs are generally likable, though I found many to be forgettable, and one was borderline annoying ("Thank You Very Much"). The only song that really stands out is "Christmas Children," which is a beautiful song that perfectly captures the feeling of Christmas. Also notable is "A Christmas Carol" which opens the film during the opening credits.

The performances are solid all around. Albert Finney is especially impressive as the title character, Scrooge, perfectly selling the old miser, despite only being 34 at the time of this film. A performance that often gets overlooked, despite it being really excellent is Alec Guinness as Marley's ghost. Also very notable is Edith Evans (Christmas Past), Kenneth More (Christmas Present), David Collings (Bob Cratchit), and Richard Beaumont (Tiny Tim).

The score, composed by Leslie Bricusse (who also wrote the songs and the screenplay) is appropriately Christmas-y, but not especially memorable. Then again, most of the score is covered with lyrics, as there is little music without song.

Scrooge is not a perfect movie. It has some small pacing issues, not all of the songs are good, and I suppose one could say that this film is pretty cheesy. And yet, I would be lying if I didn't say that I definitely cried at the end. Yeah, Scrooge has some problems, but when a film fills you up with so much Christmas cheer as this one did, it's relatively easy to forgive its few problems.
December 25, 2012
Winning musical adaptation of A Christmas Carol with a great turn from Albert Finney as the miserly miser. It's no Oliver!, and yes the 1951 Alistar Sim classic remains the definitive version, but this effort is a welcome close second.
December 24, 2012
Can't believe I've never seen this film before! Simply wonderful!! Thank you very much!!
December 24, 2012
One of our favorite Christnas movies.
½ December 23, 2012
Faithful adaptation of the Dickens classic with music.
½ December 23, 2012
An absolute abomination of an adaptation. How the producers convinced Albert Finney and Alec Guinness to appear in this film is one of life's great mysteries. Godawful songs? Check. A scene where Scrooge visits hell? Check. Scrooge dressing as Father Christmas, over a century before the character was invented by Coca-Cola? Check. Enough to make Dickens vomit up his turkey. I think I hate Christmas now.
December 20, 2012
This is the best version there is!
December 14, 2012
I loved this version of a christmas carol, it's my favourite version, I love Alec Guinness has Jacob Marley, he played an excellent Jacob, I own it on DVD, Albert Finney played a great Scrooge
December 12, 2012
just like thye movie
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
½ November 5, 2012
This is my second favorite Carol next to Sim. The music is quite good and memorable.
November 4, 2012
Best version of the Christmas Carol
½ August 15, 2012
Dark and old school musical. The score is rather creepy.
½ August 14, 2012
I quite enjoyed this. Albert Finney is outstanding, as good a Scrooge as I've seen. Good tunes, especially I Like Life and Thank You Very Very Much.
July 24, 2012
My favorite Christmas movie.
April 29, 2012
Always loved this version as a child. Marley is scary, the music is good, great sets, big song and dance numbers. Christmas Carol for the musical lover. The ghost of Christmas yet to come is among the scariest. Good sing along stuff to enjoy with your family: Thank you very much!
April 25, 2012
My favorite Christmas movie and version of Scrooge/A Christmas Carol. As for Mr. Berardinelli's review - my sister and I know every song and humm them often during the year!
March 30, 2012
One of my favorite Christmas movies!
½ February 16, 2012
i hate low budget musicals. holy shit