The Shaggy Dog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shaggy Dog Reviews

July 3, 2011
It's so off the wall and hilarious.
½ May 14, 2011
It's a fun, and witty children's film. But it can't even pull off the simplest of dialogue, or the funniest of comedy. Even in the simpler time when it was produced. It's a lost classic, that Walt Disney would roll in his grave for.
½ May 10, 2011
Disney`s first live action feature is a fun all American family film. Fred MacMurray in one of his most amusing roles.
April 20, 2011
What came out of Walt Disney doing live action for kids gave me nightares when I watched it at the young age of 8. Still, the originality is present, an unsung hero in the Disney canon. On the other hand, this did pave the way for other live action Disney films such as Hannah Montana The Movie, and it's nearly impossible to fing a copy anywhere now. No legacy, no awe, not a great film.
April 11, 2011
A decent Live Action Disney film, but not genius.
½ September 13, 2010
The Only One Who Didn't Do Anything Gets Called the Hero

So I was looking up information about various of the performers in this movie--foot soldiers in the Disney live-action revolution--and discovered an interesting fact. Annette Funicello had actually suggested to Walt that her name was too ethnic, and she might want to change it for TV. And Walt responded quite seriously that it would be a mistake. No one would ever forget that name. It would make her distinctive, and Gods alone know what ridiculous choice they would have made. It is true that there are people in the entertainment industry who made excellent choices when they decided not to go with their original name. I mean, I could list, and a brief look at the stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood will provide us examples. However, Funicello isn't a bad name, and Walt's right. You never have to look her up to remember who she is.

Wilby Daniels (Tommy Kirk) is a typical American teenager. Suburban house. Stern but distracted father Wilson (Fred MacMurray). Cipher housewife mother Freeda (Jean Hagen). Kooky younger brother with a charming nickname Moochie (Kevin Corcoran). Or possibly charming younger brother with a kooky nickname. There's Alison (Funicello) down the street and Wilby's friendly rival Buzz Miller (Tim Considine). And then one day, misspelled Franceska Andrassy (Roberta Shore) comes to town. (Real name Roberta Jymme Schourop. So yeah.) She's beautiful and sophisticated. Speaks seven languages. And while Wilby is pouring out his soul to Professor Plumcutt (Cecil Kellaway) and helping move things around in the museum, a ring falls into the cuff of his jeans. When he finds it, he reads the inscription--"[i]In Canis Corpore Transmuto[/i]." Students of Latin will know that this is not going to end well for Wilby, and indeed yes. He starts transforming into Franceska's dog, Chiffon.

What has always kind of bothered me about this movie is Moochie's attitude toward the whole thing. In 1959, Kevin Corcoran was ten, and you figure Moochie's about that himself. This is, I think, old enough to realize that a dog with the mind of your brother is not exactly going to require the techniques learned in a book on teaching your dog tricks. Clearly, it exasperates Wilby to realize this. The time Moochie is wandering around the yard whistling for his brother is intended to be silly, but you kind of have to wonder what's going through Moochie's head. Yes, he wants a dog and always has. Having a father's allergies standing between you and your fondest dreams has got to suck. On the other hand, there would be a distinct advantage to a talking dog, though I don't think Moochie would get that advantage. After all, being a dog does not change Wilby's personality. He's not so much a fan of doing what his younger brother wants him to do. Because he's seventeen. (He turned eighteen at the end of the year, so yeah.) Moochie does not seem to care.

I am continually fascinated by Fred MacMurray's career arc. With those Disney child stars, Gods love 'em, their career arc was kind of down. Though Kevin Corcoran was able to make a career behind the camera, so well done him, and a few later stars did pretty well for themselves. Ask Jodie Foster. Who, it should be noted, has two more Oscars than Fred MacMurray won. He was never even nominated. It's not quite as though he went from the serious noir antihero of [i]Double Indemnity[/i] to [i]My Three Sons[/i]; he did a lot of lighter stuff before this. And the next year, he did [i]The Apartment[/i], which is lighter but still intended to be more for adults. However, it is safe to say that 1959 really did mark the beginning of the avuncular stage in his career. As it happens, I really think [i]My Three Sons[/i] is terrible, but that's not why I half-lament the Disney introduction this marks for him. He was awfully good in [i]The Caine Mutiny[/i].

But I mean, yeah. Your standard Disney fare. Not, despite what they may tell you, the first ever live action Disney movie. Indeed, Tommy Kirk and Kevin Corcoran had starred together in another Disney dog movie two years earlier, and that was in colour. But I think this is the start of something nonetheless. Alas, what it may well be the start of is Disney quickie films, the ones basically intended to just make a buck and not leave an impact. I mean, it was in beautiful B&W, even though, again, you kind of had to have colour if the title of your movie is [i]Old Yeller[/i]. Unless, I suppose, it's about a crotchety guy who shouts a lot. Annette was big, and so Annette is in the movie. The romantic rival, the B-level bad guy, was Spin, apparently, on [i]Spin and Marty[/i], and that was doing well, so let's throw him in. It was low budget, too--and they say it managed to out-gross [i]Ben-Hur[/i], though no one seems willing to show me a cite on that.
July 12, 2010
Quite a stupid film; this movie has almost no charm at all.
½ April 6, 2010
This was one of my childhood favorites. As a kid, I flat out watched it over and over and over and over again. Now seeing it today, it is a little dumber and off-key and outdated as well, but I still love it enough. And oh yeah, the cast is great. Wag your tail for this one.
April 4, 2010
i got shaggy da but i didnt know it was part 2
toejambaseball24
½ March 5, 2010
Fun while it lasts...but quite cheesy as well.
½ February 7, 2010
Very amusing! Fred MacMurray is hilarious in this!
January 27, 2010
Really odd, but it's harmless and fun. It's kind've funny in the sense that its just a bizarre plot, no one in there right mind would write something about a man turning into a dog. Then there's the car that runs on grass and a dog driving it, completely worth the movie.
October 4, 2009
Entertaining, but a bit too silly.
August 26, 2009
This is a classic kids film. The original Shaggy Dog film. I always enjoyed watching it when I was a child. This is a silly film but was good for it's time. A fun story with good characters and decent cast. Great film for kids or the family to enjoy.
August 15, 2009
family movie lol over it
July 22, 2009
Liked it as a kid - today, the special effects are nothing.
½ June 14, 2009
I like this movie, it's damn funny at times and I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did. The ending's a little blase and doesn't explain some things but compared to the 2006 remake, it's a much better film.
April 23, 2009
This is the most funniest movie ever!!!
March 27, 2009
This is a Disney classic for all ages!