Shock Waves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shock Waves Reviews

½ March 26, 2017
This was as film I'm pleased to finally cross off the list during the Halloween season, as it's one of those iconic coves that's been on my mind to track down forever. A group of travelers find themselves trapped on an island filled with Nazi zombies, and it's pretty much the low-budget fun you'd expect from that sort of set-up.

Rental!
February 21, 2017
Fun little Grindhouse picture. Were these guys really the first to use Nazi Zombies...? Who knows. The sense of dread built up with the ghost ship near the beginning was well done.
December 19, 2016
Not a film to recommend to your more conventional friends because they won't thank you, but Shock Waves is worth a look for the very creepy atmosphere it builds. Daylight terror is such a subtle and difficult thing to create, and despite a shoestring budget and patchy cast this film almost pulls it off. Images of albino, amphibious stormtroopers emerging from the sea stay with you long after the routine 70s horror plot is forgotten.
December 17, 2016
1970's production values at their schlockiest, Clunky dialog, community theatre-grade actors, short of the legendary Peter Cushing, who does his best with the given material. A mercifully brief appearance by John Carradine, also doing his best to lift the material. But the army of undead (young) Rutger Hauer lookalikes steal the show. Immortal, to everything except having their sunglasses taken away. Just saved you 90 minutes. Scare factor on 1 to 10 scale: 1.
½ December 4, 2016
Poderosos nazis que si les quitas la gafas se mueren....
½ October 13, 2016
Similarly to something like the blind dead series, Shock Waves delivers solely through its genuinely creepy villains brooding atmosphere.
May 11, 2016
This is a very underrated zombie movie in my opinion. I thought it was great! I loved the use of music to add to the suspense and the acting was fine. The cover makes it seem a bit corny because the zombies look a bit ridiculous but it is more realistic in the movie. I'd definitely say this is a classic that anyone into zombies ought to see. Especially if you like nazi zombies.
April 30, 2016
As far as zombie movies that came before Romero's 1978 Dawn of the Dead, this one ain't too bad. Although the script and the acting aren't the film's strongest points, the film does demark itself with some new type of strong none flesh eating Nazi zombies. This flick almost reminds me of the 50's sci fi horrors, cause it's pretty campy. But I did notice that the flick has no gore and it sort of tries to do the minimum, and the characters don't scream a lot and don't really seem to care much about the others's deaths. The development ain't too much. But still, it's decent and recommended !!
September 12, 2015
Seriously outdated but still evokes atmosphere and mystery.
August 19, 2015
Shock waves is a seventies horror film starring Peter Cushing. The zombies are unique and Peter Cushing is very entertaining as a hermit Nazi. You should check this one out.
½ December 8, 2014
Essential viewing in my not so humble opinion!
September 23, 2014
Charter vessel becomes shipwrecked off tiny island surrounded by an experimental Nazi SS Death Corps scuttled by its commanding officer to avoid capture in the closing days of WWII. Effective chiller makes the most of its limited budget. Certainly rises above most of its contemporaries; a favourite of mine from repeated viewings on the local independent station out of Detroit.
½ May 18, 2014
Not your usual zombie movie. Not a comedy, but not too scary, although those aquatic Nazi zombies are pretty freaky.
½ October 3, 2013
Nazi zombies... badass
½ April 19, 2013
Shock Waves come to us in 1975, but did not arise until 1977 to movie audiences. It is a film about Nazi zombies starring horror legends John Carradine and Peter Cushing. On a trip to tropical islands, the boat hits a rock sending passengers to a mysterious island. There they are told to leave or face the consequences which the latter is always ignored. The shipwrecked travelers wander the island aimlessly being "too stupid to understand." The horrors await them when a group of Nazi zombies arise from the see and attack them. Yes, Nazi zombies are what attacks them. It sounds ludicrously lame, but the writing and directing turns that around and delivers a strong thriller. The Nazi zombies are very interesting as the walk around with no life, but do not let that fool you. These zombies are clever and very violent. Built to adapt underwater, they may lacks guns, but their stealth and environment are enough. You see the zombies drown their victims. Soon, they go from looking silly to pretty intimidating. What is the story behind them? Well, the old reclusive man has the answer. He is an SS commander of the Death Korps, a group that used to be human. There were several types that were made to fight the allies in World War II. They did not need any human needs and lacked emotions. The zombies were nearly the perfect weapon until they became unrestrained and dangerous to everyone. Shock Waves is an effective thriller with two great horror icons, Carradine and Cushing. The low budget film lacks gore that you usually see in zombie films and explosions and guns since the zombies were from World War II. However, there is enough thrills to bring back the dead. OH and also, Brooke Adam is very hot here.
½ April 19, 2013
Slow boring Nazi zombies who live under water but who only strangle people? Yeah thanks but no thanks....I know a zombie movie sucks asshole when Peter cushing is the main star. This plays like a hammer made for tv 70s zombie movie.....if anyone's into that then this would be your idea of awesome then. I'm not a huge fan of goreless,boring,clean made for tv zombie films. Pretty much this movie is just a bag of smelly assholes.
April 1, 2013
Some movies somehow stick in your mind for years after seeing them. SHOCK WAVES is one of them. A horror movie that actually depends on suspense and image to creep you out. Deserving of much more attention than it gets.
½ March 25, 2013
Let's get one thing straight here: Shock Waves is not a good movie, not by a longshot. The concept of Nazi zombies rising from the water to kill sounds better than it actually is. In truth, I thought this movie was pretty boring for the most part. The zombies themselves look pretty unique, but I was neither scared nor entertained by their presence. What WAS entertaining, however, were the actors chewing the heck out of the scenery. All of their dialogue is pretty straightforward and cliche'd, but the delivery can be hilarious at times. As for Peter Cushing, he's barely in the movie and doesn't bear a whole lot on the actual plot itself. He does his usual good job, but there's not much there for him to work with. The film reminded me a lot of Galaxy Invader in look and tone, but executed just a tiny bit better. I'd recommend watching it for the non-intended comedic value that it has. Otherwise, it's a pretty dismal and disappointing bit of horror film.
February 21, 2013
Despite having Peter Cushing and Nazi zombies, something was missing here. Glad I saw it though.
½ October 27, 2012
Cult Horror Films calls this the best of the Nazi zombie movies. I agree. Fine story and cast led by Peter Cushing as the SS Death Corp unit's former commander.