A Shot in the Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Shot in the Dark Reviews

December 26, 2013
After stealing the show in The Pink Panther, Peter Sellers reprised his role as the clumsy French Inspector Jacques Clouseau for another outing in Blake Edward's sequel A Shot in the Dark. Here, he investigates on a parlour maid and her lover. A Shot in the Dark is arguably even better than its predecessor because it has a freer and more natural lenience towards the comedic side, not least of all because of Seller's presence and his comic power and imponence. There is in fact more room for slapstick and laughs. But it's also a rather intelligent and witty screenplay that differentiates this film from other similar ones being made at the time and its wit and upbeat tempo ensure it to be an entertaining experience from start to finish.
December 26, 2013
I recently re visited the original Pink Panther, I can't say I overly enjoyed it, and the only reason I give it only half a star less than this is the charming ending won me over. Overall, A Shot In the Dark is more up my alley for what I want in a Peter Sellers, Pink Panther movie. This is far more foc film used on comedic elements with the clumsy Clouseau. I'm in a minority who thinks the two modern Pink Panther are hilarious, and would pick them over the classics. I did enjoy this though, and the nudist colony scene may just be the best I've seen in a Panther film (thus far)
December 9, 2013
Not really as hilarious as the later panthers but still a good film.
November 17, 2013
I only watched it for Peter Sellers. The plot is better than the first, but the movie could have been funnier.
August 14, 2013
Watched before 7/8/2012
August 13, 2013
Light years better than any other Inspector Clouseau film, not the least due to the presence of Elke Sommer and what is probably Henry Mancini's best ever soundtrack.
½ August 12, 2013
Oh...classic. Clouseau is on the case again, which essentially means he's going to get arrested repeatedly, cause a ton of accidents, and somehow solve it. And he does it spectacularly.
August 8, 2013
The pratfalls and slapstick are a hit or miss (no pun intended), but Blake Edwards brings back the great direction that made the first 'Pink Panther' good and how can you not love when Inspector Clouseau gets into trouble?
August 1, 2013
Clouseau's inability produces many funny moments.
July 4, 2013
Another great Pink Panther sequel that some consider the best. Very funny.
June 10, 2013
brilliant, funny, and an all around party.
May 24, 2013
Starring a cast including Peter Sellers, Elke Sommers, Herbert Lom, and George Sanders, this comedy-mystery opens with several bustling individuals in a mansion, followed by a gunshot. A pretty maid who was found with the gun is assumed to be guilty, but the bumbling Inspector Clouseau thinks otherwise. He has run ins with his crazy boss, his man servant Kato, and the police, while he clumsily tires to solve the case. Everything seems to point to Maria after more murders. However, Clouseau spends time with her and it becomes evident to us that a black-gloved man is after him. In the melodramatic, chaotic final scene, Clouseau attempts to name the murderer, and the case is solved, no thanks to him. This second installment of the Pink Panther had some funny moments and the slapstick was very good.
May 18, 2013
The second Panther film (not named a Pink Panther in the name). This time, the pacing is slowed down some, but the gags are more loaded with laughs. As the conclusion draws near, people watching it with me for the first time were in hysterics, 40 years later. That's way cool for a comedy legacy and film rep. They insisted we watch the others based on how funny this one was. Plus it introduced his long suffering boos who hates him, and Cato who probably wants to kill him too. These additions filled out the series to a merry team, not just Clouseau, but it all starts and ends with him, and a diamond. (which isn't in this one.)
½ April 26, 2013
Sellers owns the screen in this Clouseau classic. Better than The Pink Panther.
½ March 16, 2013
Peter Sellers is at the top of his game in this laugh out loud picture.
March 9, 2013
Didn't do anything for me at all. Massively overrated.
January 1, 2013
Great funny mystery movie
½ December 8, 2012
I was honestly disappointed.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!