The Silent Scream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silent Scream Reviews

½ January 9, 2014
The crumbling seaside board house makes for a creepy setting to begin with, and this slasher ramps things up nicely in the latter half, building to a cat and mouse of a climax that actually left me a little nervy, as it's shot in a fairly unique and quiet manner that you don't find in a lot of horror films.

Well worth a rental.
September 3, 2013
A somewhat forgotten horror film, THE SILENT SCREAM is modestly effective at establishing a creepy mystery story within the confines of a "mad killer" framework. The script does a nice job of giving us a group of fairly likable college students who are staying at a boarding house run by a family of weirdos. It seems - at first glance - to be a pretty conventional type of slasher film (albeit one that never feels sleazy or exploitative; it's actually a fairly low key affair), but it gets a bit more complex than just that, and the ultimate resolution of the story's central mystery works well. It's worth noting that the film predates the formation of the so-called "rules" of this genre, and it's interesting to see the movie actually break a couple of them, which is somewhat refreshing. THE SILENT SCREAM isn't anything ground-breaking, but it's perfectly fine for what it is, and nowhere near as stupid as it probably should have been.
May 19, 2013
Obscured Slasher film is a good little shocker, but one that relies on the traditional genre formula in order to create the carnage on-screen. What we have here is a film that is entertaining, but doesn't break new ground and it is predictable. Diehard Slasher fans will certainly love this one, especially if you enjoy obscured, forgotten horror films, Silent Scream is for you. The kills are well done, and there is a steady build up to the first murders, which gives the film a tense atmosphere. Even if it's not a perfect film, this is a must see for genre fans, and it works as mindless entertainment. While relying on the traditional genre elements, Silent Scream is still one of those obscured gems that will delight fans even if it's predictable. The performances are decent at best, but the strength of the film lies in its kill sequences which are well thought out and will certainly put you on the edge of your seat. If you love films like this, give this one a shot, but it does leave room for improvement and it is a film clearly has its limitations, but manages to be an entertaining Slasher yarn due to the fact that the film has good sequences of murder and a few tense moments. As a whole, it's not the worst in the genre, but is not the best either. As obscured Slashers are concerned, this one delivers, but it could have been rewritten to expand on its interesting ideas that the director tried to convey. Silent Scream is a must for genre fans but if you're keen on low budget shockers, then this one is not for you. Still for all its imperfections, it's an entertaining ride from start to finish and I had fun watching the film. I simply wish that the script could have be revised and its ideas refined to make this one truly standout.
February 9, 2013
This fumbling mess of a psychological thriller is riddled with poor acting, a questionable apperance by Yvonne De Carlo and a sloppy script. The 80's definitely saw better movies...
½ February 1, 2013
My roommate recommended this to me and it has to be about the lamest slasher flick I have ever seen. Only two people become victims and anyway, if there's something in the house killing people, why don't they just get out of the house?
December 9, 2012
Fun but forgotten '80s slasher - with Barbara Steele!
January 4, 2012
Great slasher flick with a creepy performance by Barbara Steele.
September 21, 2011
The Silent Scream is another film to avoid. A young perky and independent girl goes out to find a house to stay in before the semester begins in college. She is strong and feisty which you know what that means! It is binding and torture time! The girl gets a house with a deadly secret that features the beautiful Barbara Steele. Silent Scream is low quality and very slow, and not to mention a rip off of Psycho. However, the real crime is the underused Barbara Steele. Dang, do not keep her on the bench!
June 24, 2011
Fun but forgotten '80s slasher - with Barbara Steele!
½ March 23, 2011
This is a good mystery/horror/slasher movie for the most part. It's got a haunted house and young college students who get killed off by someone in the house. It gets predictable towards the end, but it's enjoyable enough for slasher fans.
½ January 8, 2011
A pretty good story, it's more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie, like I thought it was, but if you're a fan of Barbara Steele you'll enjoy seeing her in this, as I did.
½ October 26, 2010
While it suffers from some forced character development and an over-bearing score this film, featuring a who's who of 70's b-horror actors, is one of the best slasher films I've ever seen.
October 4, 2010
Ahh, the good old days when these movies had actual plots, characters you didn't want to die, and some general weirdness. And it's got Barbara Steele, to boot! How can you go wrong?
September 28, 2010
Your run of the mill slasher movie from the golden age. Really nothing new here, decent camera work and visuals. Alright acting for the genre. Came out the same time as Friday the 13th and Empire Strikes it doesn't get much recognition. I've seen much worse so if you're a fan of the genre, give it a shot, if not I'd look somewhere else.
September 27, 2010
I had never heard of Silent Scream until it appeared recently in Netflix recommended Watch Instantly films. This was based on Netflix having perceived my love of slasher and serial killer films : ) I was delighted to discover a sleezy, hilarious, and entertaining slasher film. While it never achieves the brutal heights of some other slasher classics, it definitely brings the crazy and the campy. Plus, it features horror legend Barbara Steele, who has been a mainstay in horror cinema since Mario Bava's classic 60s films.
September 21, 2010
Silent Scream has a lot of qualities that make it slasher, but it lacks all of the qualities that make a good slasher. It's almost sad that someone thought this could actually compete with Friday the 13th and My Bloody Valentine. The setting of this actually makes it watchable, the creepy sea side house makes the killer a lot more ominous and terrifying than he actually is.
September 10, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

A decent slasher film. It was not as overly violent as others, but it was still entertaining.
September 3, 2010
This is probably on of the best '80s slasher flicks you've never seen. It fits right in with classics like "Friday the 13th," "Halloween" and "Black Christmas." If you're a fan of horror films, and the slasher subgenre in particular, definitely give this one a go.