Skin Deep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skin Deep Reviews

August 20, 2016
Comedy classic. The duelling condom scene tho!!??
May 27, 2016
(If you are a middle aged man, especially) You owe to yourself to watch this movie. I liked the story, the funny parts and Ritter's performance. The only minus...it borrows a few bits from "10".
½ August 12, 2013
It was alright, but the only laugh out loud scene was the glow in the dark scene
January 4, 2013
I love the movie with very
interesting how old johm Ritter play this character
November 5, 2012
Not the best movie but Ritters performance is worth the watch....especially the aftermath of the electrolisis.What an underated physical comedian he was.
August 7, 2012
Considering I've seen over 1000 comedies going all the way back to Keaton and Chaplin, I would still say that I have NEVER laughed harder than the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time I watched this film. It's hilarious, it's nasty, it's sexy, it's heart breaking and, if you're anything like me, it has a message that you can relate to. I believe the frequency of goofball sexual innuendos is what cause people to knock this film. Ignore those people!
December 28, 2011
Watching this film for the first time makes me truly miss John Ritter!!!!
September 4, 2011
Every time I see this movie, it just keeps getting better and better. One of the most significant and funny movies I ever seen.
July 6, 2011
"Skin Deep" is a pretty clever film that almost feels like the epitaph to John Ritter's character from "Three's Company". Ritter stars as a sex crazed, alcoholic and writer who seems to continuously land himself in comedically bad situations. With some very memorable and original scenes, its surprising that this film doesn't get more play in the Blake Edwards pantheon of films. It's a smart and subtle film, but the passage of time is not marked in a very favorable manner, neither in the sense of storytelling or the age of the film- with the cast's garish outfits and the dated music. The women also didn't strike me as being 'hot' either, but I saw that an acceptable tool for most of the scenes. It is still worth a good laugh, especially if you are a fan of the late John Ritter as he handles the somewhat serious with his usual charm and moderate physical humor. It's a definite film worthy of cult following. 3.03 stars.
½ May 7, 2011
Blake Edwards tenta repetir Mulher Nota 10. O que não funciona.
½ January 15, 2011
Funny and brilliant. There are worce ways to spend a night with a movie.
½ December 18, 2010
Funny and brilliant. There are worce ways to spend a night with a movie.
December 16, 2010
Hace poco, sin ninguna razón, se me ocurrió recomendaros esta peli de los ochenta. Al final se me pasó, pero ahora me arrepiento después de enterarme de la muerte de Blake Edwards. Es una de las últimas comedias locas que rodó, pero la recuerdo por tener un montón de gags perfectos....
November 16, 2010
It has charm and is funny at times but quite a forgettable story.
cancercapricorn2002
½ June 24, 2010
"Skin Deep" is not only one of Blake Edwards' very best films, it is probably his most successful combination of comedy and drama to date. Edwards wants to have it both ways and it succeeds.

The film stars John Ritter as Zach Hutton, a one-time famous, best selling author who has stumbled. He is quick to blame it on writer's block, but he has other problems. He drinks excessively. He womanizes even more excessively. His wife has left him after finding him in bed with his mistress' hairdresser. (No, I'm not spoiling the film for you; Edwards makes this all clear in the first 12 minutes) Hutton then sets out on a mission to get his life in order and gain his wife back.

Right there, "Skin Deep" resembles another film, Paul Mazursky's great "Blume in Love". But Edwards takes some turns that Mazursky never even considered. Yeah, Zach wants his wife back, but does he want to change? The answer could be no, but I'm not saying yes either. As in his best films, Edwards never gives any easy answers to the questions he asks and he simply records an existence.

I've made "Skin Deep" sound awfully serious. But I want to say that "Skin Deep" is one of the funniest Edwards films I've ever seen. There are sequences here that rival the best Panther films in terms of hilarity. The house fire. The glow-in-the dark condoms. The electrical therapy sequence. The tsunami warning. His sleepover at his best friends' house, but I can't list them all. I want you to discover some as well.

I have to give special mention to John Ritter. Most people had written him off as Jack Tripper from his hit TV series "Three's Company", but he had developed into a fine actor with roles in "Sling Blade", "Unnatural Causes" and "Nowhere". Here, he finds the right tone for all of his scenes. He can go from comedy to drama and always be convincing. It's a brilliant performance and it was a real shame the Academy couldn't recognize it. He is a actor who passed away to soon.

"Skin Deep" marked a milestone for Blake Edwards. At the time of its' release, 1989 was his 50th year in show business. I've always been an admirer of his work and it gave me great pleasure to see that he still has it in him. It is also kind of sad that Edwards followed this masterpiece with the lackluster "Switch". To sum up here, this is a film worth checking out if you can find it. A very high recommendation.
½ April 7, 2010
This is a okay comedy. It stars John Ritter as a womanizer who is trying to fix his relationship with his ex wife. The movie has some funny moments. John Ritter was great as the lead character. The most funny scene is with the glow in the dark condoms. The overall story and direction of the film could have been better. But worth a watch for any John Ritter fan.
½ February 16, 2010
Pese a una buena actuacion de John Ritter en el papel de un mujeriego incurable, la debil direccion de Blake Edwards y la historia caotica con mas momentos serios que comicos, convierten a "Skin Deep" en una cinta muy mediocre.
January 28, 2010
My favorite movie from the late great John Ritter. The movie opens with one of my all time favorite songs--"Falling Out of Love" by Ivan Neville.
½ November 27, 2009
Despite a really, really annoying theme song that is played 20 times (or it feels like it), this movie is funny, sexy, and John Ritter's best role. The scene in the dark still makes me lose my shit, it's so funny.
September 19, 2009
The body builder and condom scene are great. The rest is just okay.