Sparkle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sparkle Reviews

January 24, 2018
Now who the hell gave sparkle one damn star!? Also, someone said something about "Effie", talking about this is based off the Supremes..Fool this isn't Dreamgirls... LMAO I guess we really do all look a like to you morons. Back to the movie, and enough about dummies, this movie is a more of a coming of age story. The girls have a strict hard working mother, all can sing and are beautiful. In the 1950's everyone wanted to be a star. Not everyone made it. I love this movie. Drugs, music, heartache, hard work, thieves, liars, and love. Sounds like a the makings of all great musical movies to me! <3 Of most rags to riches stories, this one is one of my favorites. The music, the singing... and the story are great.
August 17, 2017
Music is incredible! The music in this film is by far the greatest part. Lonette McKee shines as, Sistah. The storyline isn't difficult to follow.The acting as a whole is good, not necessarily outstanding, but good.The lighting is poor and can take away from some of the scenes, All in all, I still think Sparkle is an easily lovable film and one worth seeing. It is definitely one worth hearing, and no you can't just get the soundtrack. The soundtrack is sung by Aretha franklin, and as much as I love Ms. franklin...these songs need to be heard by the cast.
July 24, 2016
Something about this dragged - the story was the usual overnight success followed by disaster arising from crime and drugs - but mostly it needed better singers.
½ December 25, 2015
Great movie, enjoyed the singing a lot.
March 26, 2015
Great movie full of a lot of emotions
December 23, 2013
I want to see this movie.
August 3, 2013
how do i watch movies
½ July 17, 2013
I guess I just love Classics and this is definately one of them.
July 1, 2013
Best favorite love so much named my 2nd daughter Sparkle!!
May 26, 2013
the original!!! i love whitney houston but they cudve left this one alone
May 3, 2013
one of the first movies I ever saw and I fell in love with it!
½ April 22, 2013
A classic movie,one that has the emotional connection of early entertainment for Black America, in my book one for the 50's movie makeing Hall of Fame
Kenneth Green
April 10, 2013
Great Movie!!! I laughed and cried!!!!
December 11, 2012
clearly modeled after the true life story of the supremes though set in the fifties
December 6, 2012
I watched the recent remake and that is enough of this story for me.
December 2, 2012
This movie is good. Reminds me of DreamGirls but with more tragedy and struggle.
½ November 27, 2012
Sparkle is an amazing film. It is about a girl group who experiences turmoil after one of their members turns to drugs and another achieves their desired fame all by herself. Phillip Michael Thomas and Irene Cara give terrific performances. The screenplay is well written. Sam O'Steen did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the drama and music. Sparkle is a must see.
September 16, 2012
what was the gross recaipt
½ September 15, 2012
Looks great I Will beordering the movie so that soon after I an purchase the 2012 version All you negative comments GET A LIFE>> LiveLoveLaugh
September 1, 2012
Classic! Looking forward to seeing the re-make and how they'll make more modern, an old age problem in the entertainment industry.