Spartacus Reviews

• Jun 06, 2021

Ages 13+ only; full of action & humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ages 13+ only; full of action & humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jan 31, 2021

With an astonishing cinematography, a remarkable costume design, beautiful performances and an epic story, ‘Spartacus' will remain as a must-see classic forever.

• Jan 17, 2021

This would likely be my least favorite of Kubrick's films personally, despite also being his most accessible work. This felt similar to a lot of the grand studio epics being produced at this time with the straight forward plot and the breathtaking immensity, making the ambition one must possess to even undertake a project this large in scope quite admirable. Kirk Douglas was surely memorable but the supporting cast was excellent as well and as always Kubrick makes everything look absolutely stunning to the point where I could put headphones on for most of his films and still have an enjoyable experience with the visuals alone. *I was going to wait and watch this upon starting the AFI ten year anniversary list with the new year, but as a lover of stats and metrics I saw this not only was the last Kubrick film I havent seen, but would also be the 1000th film I've logged since joining Letterboxd, as well as the 200th film I've watched from the NY Times 1000 Essential Films list I began a little over a year ago.

• Nov 18, 2020

Spartacus is a true epic in every sense of the word. The action choreography and violence is actually quite intense for a movie released in 1960. The scale of the locations and the thousands of extras grounds it in realism while feeling truly massive. In many ways this movie feels ahead of its time, it features some graphic violence not seen in movies of this era. **SPOILER** The tragic ending is really sad, and it shows how much they make you care about these characters that it hits as hard as it does without crossing into melodrama

• Sep 02, 2020

One of the very best. Superb acting all around Charles Laughton is magnificent. Jean Simmons utterly beautiful

• Sep 01, 2020

Probably the most famous "old epic", made by probably the most acclaimed director ever (even though this movie doesn't give Kubrick vibes except in a few scenes). However, I wouldn't consider this movie a must see any longer: the action and the romance have noticeably aged and don't work as good as in the 60s, and this makes the 3 hours a little harder to withstand. Despite that Spartacus remains a comfortable movie to watch and return to, with a strong morale that will never grow old and some brilliant performances, especially by the supporting actors that create deep and complex characters, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, sometimes sly.

• Sep 01, 2020

Pretty good super long movie starring Kirk Douglas.

Pretty good super long movie starring Kirk Douglas.

• Aug 16, 2020

This is one of the greatest historical dramas ever made. It was directed by Stanley Kubrick, written by Dalton Trumbo and stars Kurt Douglas and Lawrence Olivier in iconic performances. Behind the scenes, Douglas insisted on Dalton Trumbo despite the fact that he was on a McCarthy era blacklist. That determination to do the right thing regardless of the risk was essentially the theme of the movie.

• Aug 15, 2020

Es emocionante, épica y emotiva, es una de las mejores películas de la historia.

• Jul 21, 2020

Outstanding picture, great screenplay by Dalton Trumbo, great direction by Stanley Kubrick but, most of all, outstanding lead by Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Charles Laughton, Peter Ustinov in an Oscar-winning role, Woody Strode in a small, important role, and Tony Curtis.