Sphinx - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sphinx Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
The thing about adventure movies is that they should capture all genres: Action, horror, comedy, romance, etcetera. This overlooked gem by Franklin J. Schaffner captures all of that, not to mention that its entertainment value is through the roof.
½ November 29, 2015
Lesley-Anne Down is an unusually beautiful woman, but her hair is oddly weird in this movie. The script writers seem determined to subject her to most of a Western woman's most disturbing fantasies about Oriental sex and violence. The tourism-dependent Egyptian government must have been horrified to see how this movie portrays their country as being dangerous as hell (back in the relatively safe pre-9/11 era). Gielgud's appearance is all to brief.
½ June 16, 2012
I saw this movie a long time ago on British TV and have often wondered if I had just imagined how good it was. But, seeing it again on cable it has all the magic that I remember and also the gorgeous Lesley-Anne Down.
The movie centers around the search for a stolen mummy and leads Down as archealogist Erica Barron into danger as she enters a world of corruption, smuggling and murder. The shots of Egypt are simply breathtaking and the movie serves up a generous portion of suspense from Erica attempting to flee a team of assassins towards the beginning of the movie to attempting to evade capture after escaping from a crypt in the second half of the picture.
Adding to the superb calibre of this movie are a number of very recognizable faces. In addition to Frank Langella (who had played the title role in DRACULA just a couple of years previous) to John Rhys-Davies (who would go on to play Sallah in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) there is also Sir John Gielgud (who was perhaps best known to American audiences at that time as the butler in ARTHUR).
The movie actually opens in a prelude to the main story. We are in ancient Egypt and a group of thieves are attempting to break into the tomb of one of the Pharoah's. Captured, they meet terrible fates.
Fast forward to the 20th century and we meet Baron, who is writing a paper on the man who captures the thieves in the prelude, the advisor to Pharoah Seti 1 of the 19th Dynasty of Ancient Egypt.
Upon arrival in Egypt she is shown a rare statue of Pharoah Seti 1 by Gielgud's character (Abdu-Hamdi) before he is brutally murdered.
Nobody is quite as they seem and the game of trying to sort out true allegiences will keep you guessing to the closing minutes.
Highly recommended.
June 25, 2010
En DVD.
Cine comercial como tantos pero de los 80's que, por una extra├▒a razon, toma como escenario y tema Egipto. Creo que es su gran atractivo a la ve que no pretende mas ya que nos presenta a una especie de experta-arqueologa-reportera-turista-mujer soltera busca, que se ve metida en cada follon sin saber bien cual es su movil pero que divierte. Salpicadas de gags,aunque no lo parezcan, paisajes exoticos y secretos misteriosos, es una peli de sobremesa para, tal vez, promocionar el turismo, y que una buena revision y posterior remake, no estaria mal.
May 9, 2010
Light, but fun little action/suspense/thriller. It's got a great Egyption-ness about it, maybe it's just the music, but the mood was really good. And Frank Langella can't be bad.
December 11, 2009
In spite of it's terrible review, I rather liked it. It's light, fun, entertaining and nicely acted. The occasional doses of humor are very welcome. Decent sets, it's not too long and moves along at a brisk pace.
July 24, 2008
I loved this one with Charleton Heston
½ May 2, 2008
Highly recommended.
½ July 29, 2007
You might have to be a history buff to enjoy this. Down does not make a good protagonist and the plot is wooden. Cheesy.
January 26, 2007