The Spiral Staircase Reviews

• May 07, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Dec 30, 2018

It was a good movie but unfortunately I went in with high expectations and imo the movie fell short of them. I consider it more noir than horror, but I guess back in the 40s this must''ve been a scary noir film. The performances were ok, the problem imo was the plot. It lagged at times and didn't have enough exciting moments.

• Aug 22, 2017

Excellent film!!! So underrated. Great atmospheric film with superb performances and a genuinely surprising ending.

• Mar 12, 2017

This is a classic film-noir from Robert Siodmak who made a few great films. This one is heavily influenced in style by German Expressionism is and very stylistically shot. The story is basically a whodunit and is pretty tense at times. The downside for me is that I didn't love a lot of the performances. Worth a watch for film fans for the style alone though.

• Aug 21, 2016

A good old fashioned suspense picture, with vaguely simian Dorothy McGuire as a mute woman working in a mansion for a bedridden, scenery chewing Ethel Barrymore. There's a serial killer out there, and he's killing women who have physical deformities: what will happen to our heroine? This would be fun to watch on a stormy fall night.

• Jun 27, 2016

Solid little Hitchcockian thriller about a mute servant girl working in a British home that may be hiding a killer. It's a well crafted thriller from director Robert Siodmak, but I think my main complaint is that I found the formal British stiff upper lip demeanor of the household in question off putting. I'm not going to argue that Hitchcock's British thrillers were particularly realistic, but I would say that character actions an motivations seemed more grounded in reality and not as tied to British decorum. Still, this film has some wonderful atmosphere and some terrific black and white photography. Well worth watching.

• May 27, 2015

A melodramatic but effective thriller that establishes great atmosphere with its use of mood lighting and music.

• Feb 11, 2015

Because Alfred Hitchcock was such a master of suspense, and he always seemed to grasp his powers incrementally over the years, I have found delving into his classic older pictures as rewarding, but less enjoyable--given the height of his powers during his latter directorial days. However, compared to '39 Steps,' 'Strangers on a Train,' 'Shadow of a Doubt,' and 'Suspicion,' which are admirable and groundbreaking, 'The Spiral Staircase,' is a self-contained masterpiece with an unfaltering sense suspense, romance, psychological ramifications, and treachery. With very few missteps, this quintessential rainy night at the mansion thriller, director Robert Siodmak, admirably does with Hitchcock's keen sense of timing, framing, and editing what most modern films fail to do: keep the mystery and macabre on a short leash with an economy that today's special effects and GCI seldom muster.

• Jan 20, 2015

Estupendo film de suspense que facilmente Hitchcock lo pudo dirigir, sencilla y de unas tomas interesantes.

• Apr 22, 2014

Gothic old dark house thriller...quiet but deadly--An Exercise in Atmosphere and Tension!!