The Spiral Staircase - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spiral Staircase Reviews

October 27, 2012
A serial killer targets people with disabilities and eventually stalks his mute niece at the family mansion. Remake of 1946 film has limited action but pretty good character development.
August 23, 2011
This is one bad movie that you may wonder why on earth was it made in the first place. It could have been a high camp especially with the drunken cook who pours alcohol on the chicken. That was a funny bit! Seriously, the movie is so anti-PC...a killer who murders women with disabilities. It begins with him shooting a blind girl but the camera only shows his gloved hands and red eye. It's not hard to guess who the killer is, at least there's 2 possibilities.

Next, we're bombarded with long lens camera views, a raging rainstorm, a mansion that looks like a museum, and the unlikiest characters you'll ever find in a movie. The policeman who's trigger happy, the secretary who's making out with her employer, the brother who's a war veteran, the grandmother on insulin, the nurse Ratchet-type, the dipsomaniac chef. None of these characters are interesting and their dialogue is terrible. Jacqueline Bisset plays the deaf woman and in flashback, we see that she watched her family burn to death. It's implausible that with money, she couldn't get the right therapy. It's laughable that Bisset is dressed to the hilt and looks like she's modeling. Christopher Plummer seems like he's in this one for the paycheck.

I really don't know why it's called "The Spiral Staircase" except people walk and up and down. It has no significance to the plot. This movie is certified as a "dog."
½ January 16, 2010
1970s remake of 1945 film noir with a killer targeting the handicapped. Very unprofessional staff at the Institute. Extreme close ups of the killer's eyes do not add to the suspense. The original has got to be better than this.
August 9, 2009
½ July 6, 2009
1975 thriller starring Jacqueline Bisset and Christopher Plummer was a "Made For TV" film I understand in the USA although it was a theatrical release internationally. Pretty good thriller in a Hitchcockian sense ... my favorite character was the nurse played by Elaine Stritch ... and what was up with the female cook who seemed to be on the booze a little more than she should? ... lots of lightning storms to add to the storyline ... and as for the "spiral staircase", I'd like to add one to my own home! :)