Spitfire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spitfire Reviews

½ October 19, 2015
To my thinking this was an academy award performance by Hepburn,the reviewers must have been in a stupor when the gave this movie bad reviews
½ May 10, 2015
oh joy another lost review
June 17, 2013
Wow. In 'Spitfire' Katharine Hepburn gives the most unconvincing -- and perhaps worst -- performance of hers that I've ever seen. Who had the bright idea to cast her as some backwoods hillbilly? And expected her to pull that off? Somewhat worth seeing as a pure train-wreck, though.
June 17, 2013
She was not illiterate,she could read,and no matter what she plays in she is fantastic
November 25, 2010
Spitfire (1934) -- [4.0] -- Katharine Hepburn goes as far against type as possible in "Spitfire," playing a hillbillie faith healer who gets accused of witchcraft by her backwoods community. Hepburn is far too erudite to sell the role convincingly, but it's interesting to watch her attempt Appalachian jargon and throw rocks at people. The film doesn't get as preachy as I'd expected, but it loses focus in its maudlin final reel. The movie is tediously constrained as a stage play adaptation -- the translation to film brings absolutely nothing to the material.
September 8, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie. Hepburn plays an aggressive, although unintelligent, country girl. The story is really interesting and her character is cool. Some people have said they don't like this movie, but don't listen to them, see it for yourself.
½ August 18, 2010
good early stuff from hepburn
July 14, 2010
One of Hepburn's first movies, and I loved her character, I could really relate to her too. This movie has a great story of a young woman who's got spunk, and secretly prays for all her neighbors, after she throws rocks at them. It takes place somewhere in mid America out in the country, with uneducated people who believe she is a witch when her prayers start to make things happen. No one understands her, but a city slicker who's working on a dam nearby starts to fall in love with her and to believe in the power of prayer. It's a good drama, and sad, but I felt that there was something missing or something that could have been done better, I don't know what. See this one for yourself.
February 12, 2008
Did Katharine Hepburn win a oscar for this. If she didn't, she sure should have. She completely transforms into the charactor. Excellent acting.