Spitfire Reviews

• May 30, 2020

A Hepburn gem. If you are prejudiced against Christianity, not for you .... or maybe it is, actually.

• Oct 19, 2015

To my thinking this was an academy award performance by Hepburn,the reviewers must have been in a stupor when the gave this movie bad reviews

• Jun 09, 2014

oh joy another lost review

oh joy another lost review

• Jun 17, 2013

She was not illiterate,she could read,and no matter what she plays in she is fantastic

• Jun 17, 2013

Wow. In 'Spitfire' Katharine Hepburn gives the most unconvincing -- and perhaps worst -- performance of hers that I've ever seen. Who had the bright idea to cast her as some backwoods hillbilly? And expected her to pull that off? Somewhat worth seeing as a pure train-wreck, though.

• Nov 23, 2012

By both fans and Katharine Hepburn herself, Spitfire is considered to be among her worst films. From pg. 149 in her autobiography, Me, "Was a Southern sort of mountain spirit. Shame on you, Kathy." According to biographer, A. Scott Berg (Who also knew her), she kept a picture of the film's character, Trigger Hicks, on her wall to keep her humble. It is also one of the films that earned her the reputation of being box office poison. That being said, I still strangely enjoyed Spitfire. I won't deny that comes from my enjoyment of Hepburn, but she is what holds this weird mess together. She plays a girl named Trigger Hicks who lives in the mountains and is a faith healer after stealing a pack of bible cards. She also ends up falling in love with an engineer working nearby. It's a weird, melodramatic love story and for most, I would not recommend it. It will only serve as a curiosity to fans of Katharine Hepburn and her unusual filmography.

• Nov 25, 2010

Spitfire (1934) -- [4.0] -- Katharine Hepburn goes as far against type as possible in "Spitfire," playing a hillbillie faith healer who gets accused of witchcraft by her backwoods community. Hepburn is far too erudite to sell the role convincingly, but it's interesting to watch her attempt Appalachian jargon and throw rocks at people. The film doesn't get as preachy as I'd expected, but it loses focus in its maudlin final reel. The movie is tediously constrained as a stage play adaptation -- the translation to film brings absolutely nothing to the material.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 03, 2010

I really enjoyed this movie. Hepburn plays an aggressive, although unintelligent, country girl. The story is really interesting and her character is cool. Some people have said they don't like this movie, but don't listen to them, see it for yourself.

• Aug 18, 2010

good early stuff from hepburn

good early stuff from hepburn

• Jul 14, 2010

One of Hepburn's first movies, and I loved her character, I could really relate to her too. This movie has a great story of a young woman who's got spunk, and secretly prays for all her neighbors, after she throws rocks at them. It takes place somewhere in mid America out in the country, with uneducated people who believe she is a witch when her prayers start to make things happen. No one understands her, but a city slicker who's working on a dam nearby starts to fall in love with her and to believe in the power of prayer. It's a good drama, and sad, but I felt that there was something missing or something that could have been done better, I don't know what. See this one for yourself.