Splash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splash Reviews

½ October 12, 2016
Splash is probably the ultimate fish-out-of-water film, primarily because it literally features a fish out of water.
½ October 8, 2016
Ron Howard directs Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah in Splash. The story begins 20 years ago, when a young Allen Bauer (Hanks) jumps into the water near Cape Cod only to be greeted by a mermaid. In the present time, Bauer and his brother Freddie (John Candy) are co-owners of a shipping company in New York City. Bauer is recently out of a relationship and wonders if he will ever find his true love. After a rough day he decides to vacation again at Cape Cod, where he nearly drowns in a boating mishap, only to be saved by the same mermaid (Daryl Hannah).

Bauer returns to New York and the mermaid now on land searches for him to return his stolen wallet. The two connect instantly despite the fact she speaks no English. She eventually learns English through television, and begins to call her Madison based on a street sign they see together. The film continues in typical romantic fashion, while another arc of the movie includes a scientist by the name Walter Kornbluth (Eugene Levy) out to prove that mermaids exist. He knows for sure that Madison is one of them in particular and is hoping to get her wet to prove it. The sequences of Kornbluth trying to get Madison are quite funny, as he pays dearly for when things go wrong time and time again.

Splash is without a doubt an 80s movie, but one that is done very well. Levy provides much of the comedic leverage through physical comedy. Candy offers some excellent one liners and steals every scene he is in. Hannah was sexy as the mermaid and the chemistry with Hanks is reasonable. The film is original for its time, and won an Oscar for best Writing for a Screen play directly written for Screen. Solid characters and a decent script, in addition with Howard's direction made Splash a smash hit. Splash is by no means one of the all-time greats, but it invokes a nostalgia factor to it that makes viewers fond of the movie well beyond when they first watched it.

October 2, 2016
one of my favorite movie of all time
August 17, 2016
A boy almost drowns and is saved by a mermaid. Twenty something years later the mermaid finds the now grown up boy Tom Hanks and they soon fall in love. When word gets out that a mermaid exists, the government wants her captured for research. This comedy is fun and its premise is a good idea but the movie fails to execute the comedy.
August 11, 2016
My fav since I was a kid and still is!!! What made me luv Tom Thanks!!!
½ August 7, 2016
Man falls in love with a mermaid in this romantic fantasy yarn. It's definitely overrated and looking back it's laughable it was even successful back then.
July 17, 2016
Funny, charmingly acted and well-made adult Little Mermaid.
June 22, 2016
Who knew there's a coral reef in Cape Cod?
June 6, 2016
Ok but not my cup of tea, Silly story but Tom Hanks makes it watchable (Just).
May 30, 2016
Super cheese, super freaking cheese. 80s. Cheese.
½ February 17, 2016
Splash works as pure entertainment goes. It has a nonsensical and just stupid cop-put happy ending, the humor is hit-or-miss and the attention to detail is underwhelming, but it is still a fun and even charming film with a lot of heart and with a charming couple at its center. It is a fun fantasy diversion, but also a sweet romantic comedy.
½ February 6, 2016
Funny and quite beautiful.
October 17, 2015
Hanks and Hannah give star making performances here, and John Candy is a comic assassin, he slips in and steals the film every time he shows up. Eugene Levy makes the most of his obligatory plot advancing scenes. He's funny but it feels like a distraction from what we really want to see, which is these two charming people falling in love. The production is gorgeous, especially Hannah's fins. This was Ron Howard's breakthrough film, and he never looked back.
September 2, 2015
July 6th 2009
September 2nd 2015
July 26, 2015
Before "The Little Mermaid", there was this charming, funny fantasy romance from Ron Howard at his more of a directorial breakthrough - and as his practice before his work on "Cocoon" - with the usual fantasy convention besides the interference twist with some amount of shown creativity. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
June 27, 2015
Haven't watched it since it came out in the 80s but niece is fascinated by mermaids so pulled this old gem out!
June 22, 2015
I love the movie splash to be a mermiad
½ April 13, 2015
Just a well put together romantic comedy were the supporting actors really steal the show.
February 24, 2015
For some reason, I remember this film being better when I watched it years ago. But now it just seems dated and not as funny. I was disappointed.