Splash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splash Reviews

July 17, 2016
Funny, charmingly acted and well-made adult Little Mermaid.
June 22, 2016
Who knew there's a coral reef in Cape Cod?
June 6, 2016
Ok but not my cup of tea, Silly story but Tom Hanks makes it watchable (Just).
May 30, 2016
Super cheese, super freaking cheese. 80s. Cheese.
½ February 17, 2016
Splash works as pure entertainment goes. It has a nonsensical and just stupid cop-put happy ending, the humor is hit-or-miss and the attention to detail is underwhelming, but it is still a fun and even charming film with a lot of heart and with a charming couple at its center. It is a fun fantasy diversion, but also a sweet romantic comedy.
½ February 6, 2016
Funny and quite beautiful.
October 17, 2015
Hanks and Hannah give star making performances here, and John Candy is a comic assassin, he slips in and steals the film every time he shows up. Eugene Levy makes the most of his obligatory plot advancing scenes. He's funny but it feels like a distraction from what we really want to see, which is these two charming people falling in love. The production is gorgeous, especially Hannah's fins. This was Ron Howard's breakthrough film, and he never looked back.
September 2, 2015
July 6th 2009
September 2nd 2015
July 26, 2015
Before "The Little Mermaid", there was this charming, funny fantasy romance from Ron Howard at his more of a directorial breakthrough - and as his practice before his work on "Cocoon" - with the usual fantasy convention besides the interference twist with some amount of shown creativity. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
June 27, 2015
Haven't watched it since it came out in the 80s but niece is fascinated by mermaids so pulled this old gem out!
June 22, 2015
I love the movie splash to be a mermiad
½ April 13, 2015
Just a well put together romantic comedy were the supporting actors really steal the show.
February 24, 2015
For some reason, I remember this film being better when I watched it years ago. But now it just seems dated and not as funny. I was disappointed.
½ February 15, 2015
Loved this as a kid, it's got some really funny bits in it. There's a great cast that really levitate the film. Tom Hanks is great as the male lead and Daryl Hannah is the perfect mermaid. I love John Candy and he's really funny in this one as is Eugene Levy!
½ February 9, 2015
Splash is a funny, sweet, good-natured, and wonderful romantic comedy that seems to be rather underrated since it is very clearly a product of it's time: the 1980's. Enjoying it sort of comes down to that aspect. How much do you enjoy the 1980's? As you can see, I'm quite fond of that time period, even though I didn't exist during that time. It's a very underrated film that seems sadly forgotten with time.

The story focuses on a man named Allen Bauer who works at a wholesale fruits and vegetables business in New York City, with his slacker brother, Freddie. When Allen was 8, he had a strange encounter with a little girl during a ferry trip by Cape Cod. When he saw something strange underwater, he jumped off the ferry and met the strange girl underwater, only to be pulled back onto the ferry after the bizarre encounter.

Ever since that odd day, he has had a fascination with the mysterious girl, which has hampered his relationships with the women he has dated over the years and is mostly dissatisfied with his current life situation. After a break up, he makes a decision to suddenly make a trip to Cape Cod after a night of drinking with his brother.

He arrives in Cape Cod in the morning, and spends some time wandering the beach, where he meets a man named Walter Kornbluth, who is obsessed with proving mermaids are real, and the man is convinced that Allen is some sort of saboteur and makes him go away.

After that bizarre encounter, Allen decides to venture out into the ocean, only to have the boat break down and he is left alone by the boat's owner who swims to shore to retrieve another boat. Frustrated, he tries to start the boat, which he succeeds in doing, only to fall out. As he struggles to stay afloat (He can't swim), he is struck in the head by the boat and sinks.

Before he drowns, he is rescued and when he wakes up on the shore, he sees a mysterious naked woman watching him. As he tries to talk to her and learn her name (And also gets a kiss from her), she jumps back into the ocean and disappears. He soon develops an obsession for this mysterious girl, but feels that he will never find her.

It turns out she's a mermaid and has a crush on Allen, so she decides to track him down through his wallet and uses a map on a sunken ship to find New York City. She also has an encounter with Kornbluth, who becomes obsessed with finding her and proving his theories about mermaids.

She immediately turns heads not only because of her beauty, but also the fact she makes an appearance at the Statue Of Liberty monument naked, which gets her arrested for indecent exposure, while the tourists take pictures.

While at work, Allen gets a call from the NYPD about the girl, and realizing who they are talking about, he races over and picks her up. He takes her back to his place where things get steamy rather quickly despite not knowing her name and that she can't seem to talk.

The next day, after a morning quickie, he leaves her in his apartment where she spends her time watching television and becomes intrigued by the various ads that pop up, so she ventures out to do some shopping with Allen's credit card after quickly learning English from the TV.

Allen eventually tracks her down to an electronics store and is baffled by her fast learning, and continues to be baffled, since she has no name (Or at least, a pronounceable one. When she tells him her name, it is a high-pitched dolphin-like noise that shatters glass). She decides to go with the name Madison, after they pass by Madison Avenue, and the two also begin a much more serious dating relationship that sends Allen over the moon.

However, he has no idea that she is actually a mermaid, and that their time together will be limited to a matter of days. She's also being hunted by Kornbluth who is intent to find her after seeing an article about her indecent exposure arrest, which also threatens to destroy things between Allen and Madison.

The story is pure 80's cheese, but the 80's sure knew how to dish out the cheese in ways that are endearing and wonderful. If most other films tried to do this in this day and age, they would probably fail. The story also has a good-natured and sweet vibe that never got on my nerves, but instead I enjoyed the story for its unusual characters and funny humor, with just the right amount of emotion peppered in the right spots.

The acting is also pretty solid, especially with a fairly early Tom Hanks role that is well performed (Though not as good as his performances in Sleepless In Seattle or You've Got Mail) as the naieve, slightly aloof Allen. Daryl Hannah also delivers a good performance as Madison, and is sweet and very charming, which is a bit strange for me, as my previous exposures to her have been through Kill Bill Vols. 1 & 2, Blade Runner, and Steel Magnolias, where she played much stronger, and at times, more sinister characters (Except Steel Magnolias, of course). The film also has good performances by John Candy, who is still absolutely hilarious as the slacker, perverted brother, and Eugene Levy as the crazy scientist. The performances across the board are quite good.

If you enjoy 80's comedies, Splash will offer plenty to entertain you. If not, you will drown in 80's cheese and syrup. I laughed at the humor and it also made me feel emotion at times, despite having an undeniably cheesy story. I found it to be endearing and heartwarming because of these aspects.

Splash is not for everyone, especially for people who are not fond of films that are heavily ingrained within their time periods. It's cliched, it's cheesy, and it's very much a product of the 1980's. But, that's why I love it so much because those particular aspects are appealing to me. It's a terrific, excellent, funny and thoroughly underrated romantic comedy that I hope will get more appreciation in future years.
½ January 3, 2015
This pleases me a little, mostly because of the acting and direction, but it seems to not be worth much in the end.
½ December 28, 2014
If you take it purely by face value, then it'll seem like a dumb '80's movie, but when you scratch the surface (or should I say look beneath the water), you might find something that surprises you. In my case, I had fairly low expectations for this movie, but then it quickly proved to be quite entertaining, despite its slightly ridiculous premise. The story starts off on a rather sentimentalist tone, but quickly drifts in a more light-hearted, yet likable direction. The performances, for me, are the best part of the film, as they seem to be the main source of the film's humour. The characters don't seem to generate much in the joke department immediately, but as the film progresses, it also gets much funnier. By the end, when the main characters have to sneak the mermaid out of the research lab, things get their craziest they're forced to embellish the truth a little, and the performances help the cause immensely. It might not seem like the kind of movie that would hold up today, but it really does, and it has enough charm that I can overlook some of its flaws. It is ridiculous fantasy, but that's its core selling point, and it works.
November 30, 2014
Nice fantasy with beautiful Daryl Hannah and young Hanks.
November 19, 2014
Here's a movie I hadn't seen since my childhood. I really like the 90's comedies with Hanks, and love John Candy, but the script is problematic. I kept seeing the flaws with the feel, and it really feels dated. This is actually one that might make an interesting remake with a decent script. Still, it's worth a watch for Hanks, Candy and supporting role with Eugene Levy!