Splash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splash Reviews

August 6, 2017
the sexiest romantic childrens movie with john candy being john candy... that's a good thing! this also taught me what teamsters are!
June 15, 2017
I personally loved this movie, I had been wanting to watch this movie for about a year and when I found it I was really excited, it lived up to my expectations. I found the movie to be funny and romantic with just enough action in it to tie over an action movie fan (usually). My favourite part was probably the end which I'm not going to spoil for others. Overall, this is an awesome film which I wold recommend to anyone. :)
½ May 20, 2017
Every 'alien joins humanity' plot. The Splash comes from the fact that it's too shallow for her to swim in. but well enough done. Candy is hilarious. Standard '80s light fare.
May 13, 2017
My Favorite Movie!!!!Love Love Love!!!!
April 14, 2017
Silly comedy about a guy who falls in love with a mermaid. A fish that's really an insanely hot blonde played by Daryl Hannah. Tom Hanks carries the movie. Without him this movie would have bombed. John Candy is hilarious.
March 3, 2017
young age crush with Madison
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 30, 2016
One of my favorite mermaid movies!!
December 15, 2016
My favorite romantic movie ever! Tom Hanks proves that during the 1980s, he was the Leonardo DiCaprio of romantic movies.
November 2, 2016
Perfect blend of heart and comedy.
½ October 12, 2016
Splash is probably the ultimate fish-out-of-water film, primarily because it literally features a fish out of water.
½ October 8, 2016
Ron Howard directs Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah in Splash. The story begins 20 years ago, when a young Allen Bauer (Hanks) jumps into the water near Cape Cod only to be greeted by a mermaid. In the present time, Bauer and his brother Freddie (John Candy) are co-owners of a shipping company in New York City. Bauer is recently out of a relationship and wonders if he will ever find his true love. After a rough day he decides to vacation again at Cape Cod, where he nearly drowns in a boating mishap, only to be saved by the same mermaid (Daryl Hannah).

Bauer returns to New York and the mermaid now on land searches for him to return his stolen wallet. The two connect instantly despite the fact she speaks no English. She eventually learns English through television, and begins to call her Madison based on a street sign they see together. The film continues in typical romantic fashion, while another arc of the movie includes a scientist by the name Walter Kornbluth (Eugene Levy) out to prove that mermaids exist. He knows for sure that Madison is one of them in particular and is hoping to get her wet to prove it. The sequences of Kornbluth trying to get Madison are quite funny, as he pays dearly for when things go wrong time and time again.

Splash is without a doubt an 80s movie, but one that is done very well. Levy provides much of the comedic leverage through physical comedy. Candy offers some excellent one liners and steals every scene he is in. Hannah was sexy as the mermaid and the chemistry with Hanks is reasonable. The film is original for its time, and won an Oscar for best Writing for a Screen play directly written for Screen. Solid characters and a decent script, in addition with Howard's direction made Splash a smash hit. Splash is by no means one of the all-time greats, but it invokes a nostalgia factor to it that makes viewers fond of the movie well beyond when they first watched it.

-10.08.2016
October 2, 2016
one of my favorite movie of all time
August 17, 2016
A boy almost drowns and is saved by a mermaid. Twenty something years later the mermaid finds the now grown up boy Tom Hanks and they soon fall in love. When word gets out that a mermaid exists, the government wants her captured for research. This comedy is fun and its premise is a good idea but the movie fails to execute the comedy.
August 11, 2016
My fav since I was a kid and still is!!! What made me luv Tom Thanks!!!
½ August 7, 2016
Man falls in love with a mermaid in this romantic fantasy yarn. It's definitely overrated and looking back it's laughable it was even successful back then.
July 17, 2016
Funny, charmingly acted and well-made adult Little Mermaid.
June 22, 2016
Who knew there's a coral reef in Cape Cod?
jamrcla
June 6, 2016
Ok but not my cup of tea, Silly story but Tom Hanks makes it watchable (Just).
May 30, 2016
Super cheese, super freaking cheese. 80s. Cheese.