A Star Is Born - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Star Is Born Reviews

½ June 6, 2016
A Star Is Born is at times rushed and clichéd, but it is mostly a very entertaining and dramatic look at Hollywood with some very inspirational and heartbreaking sequences. The beginning and the ending are the highlights as those are so good, but the entire movie is very good with excellent performances from Janet Gaynor, May Robson and Fredric March, some great lines and strong characters.
July 29, 2015
Ok, at first I didn't like the film that much. The beginning was good particularly the whole live ur dreams part and keep up the struggle, but about half way thru it changes tune into a success and rough marriage story. As a 21st century woman I thought the heroine was a bit codependent and should've left her husband. Then I realized her husband did love her in a messed up kinda way and he grew on me too. At first I thought he is just going to use her and exploit her dreams, then I realized he really did like her. Then I thought but look at him such a mess she should leave him, she can't fix him. Then I realized how could she? They both loved each other, maybe he didn't love her in the way she deserved or the way he would've like to have, but he loved her how he could. Everyone has demons and it was a shame he couldn't conquer them despite efforts to change. The ending really got me. How cruel the public and outsiders can be. Then how her granny become the hero once again, we need more tough ppl like that. Well cast movie and while it can be kind of slow at parts the story keeps evolving deeper. One of the better old movies I've seen.
½ February 22, 2015
A perfect mix of comedy and drama. The film has aged surprisingly well thanks to a fairly timeless story and awesome performance out of March
July 20, 2014
I didn't like Esther's "big break" but other than that, it was a good picture
April 7, 2014
This oft repeated film started off here with all the guts and determination of a woman who must make it in Hollywood. This remakes the best version.
½ March 30, 2014
The satire is pretty light, but you really wouldn't expect a hard hitting take-down of Hollywood from a Selznick production. Compared with the two remakes that followed, this one is actually the funniest (no doubt due to Dorothy Parker's involvement with the screenplay) and its that coupled with the performances of Gaynor and March that makes the whole thing worthwhile.
February 27, 2014
While exhibiting all the traits of the American dream, this film also manages to have a few twists thrown in as well.
I can see why it was nominated for Best Picture back in 1937 (it was also neat that they actually went to the Oscars in the film), but there have been three films that pulled from the common themes found herein: "The Artist", "All About Eve", and "The Lost Weekend". These three managed to win Best Picture.
½ January 28, 2014
my least favorite of the 3 versions of this
January 9, 2014
The original. 1937. Typical of Hollywood, it's slick and flush with warnings of the dangers and lies of Hollywood while at the same time glamorizing them. Anyway, a wide-eyed gal from the sticks goes to L.A. to make it in the big time only to fall for a star who conversely fading, etc., etc., etc. Why does she make it? Why does he fail? That's not shown, only implied.
Janet Gaynor was an unknown quantity to me, though a big star in her time, and she nearly won me over by the film's end, especially the scene where, as a waitress, she auditions for Tinseltown bigwigs, impersonating other well known 1930's stars.
But the film belongs to Fredric March who is introduced as unlikable, seldom veers far from that, and yet must maintain our interest so we can not like him some more. Adolf Menjou, yet again, plays the supporting character/deus ex machina throughout unobtrusively.
Not bad.
½ January 2, 2014
"A Star Is Born" is one of the great stories of dreams vs. reality, and an interesting critique on Hollywood culture, but the film is starting to become incredibly dated, which a sweet tone that doesn't really match what is, in essence, a very dark story.

Still, the acting, from Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, is very fine, and this film has some great things to say. I am yet to watch any of the remakes (and there is a third remake reportedly on the way), but I found this to be an OK film, and I think a prototype for better films that were to come.
December 28, 2013
One of the most memorable and haunting Hollywood dramas ever produced chronicles the love story between two actors, one a rising star, the other a falling one. Totally capturing the drama of the entertainment business and not afraid to show its darker sides, this film wonderfully juxtaposes the glamour of Hollywood with its squalor, although never disregarding comic relief, particularly in the performance of Gaynor as the small town girl who makes it big equally matched by the charming and yet troubled Frederic March.
½ December 29, 2012
a spectacular story of triumph, struggles and dreams
November 30, 2012
Powerful, and contemplative of Hollywood and what it does to and for us. With unforgettable characters who tell a tragic story of the struggles of the stars. No wonder it was remade twice and also influenced "The Artist". Danny McGuire and May Robson support the great cast to tell a touching story of overcoming adversity and staying true to one's self and your family.
November 10, 2012
Great story with a great cast beautifully brought to the screen by Selznick. For me Devine was fantastic. The story got better as it went on and continued to draw me in. A real gem.
½ September 25, 2012
This is one of the original "young girl goes to Hollywood to become famous" movies. It's a little too optimistic, by our cynical POV today, yet isn't completely a glossy picture either. It seems a lot like what could have really happened with young celebrities back then, maybe, if they were attractive and very lucky, which she is. The cast is perfect in their roles, though, so it's an enjoyable movie to watch with drama, comedy and romance. So, it's pretty good, and like I said, one of the originals, but not the best of this kind of movie.
½ June 27, 2012
While a classic and the first of three and staring the first Oscar winner for best actress, Janet Gaynor's charm is really the only plus to this otherwise dry film. It is poorly acted, the story is dull and the copy I saw was awful! The story moves too fast to be believed and in the end nothing matters, a star isn't born, but created; while that is the point, it becomes more about the fall of her husband than her and moreover is a less interesting version of "The Artist"! I hope the others aren't this bad!
½ June 27, 2012
Although it has to be said that most likely the best version of this story is 1954's version with Judy Garland and James Mason, the original 1937 movie is also quite fine in its own way. In this one, Esther Blodgett (Janet Gaynor) travels from her small town in North Dakota to Hollywood to pursue her dream as an actress. There she struggles, picking at best a job as a waitress, thanks to her friend (Andy Devine), at a party for big movie stars, including one Norman Maine (Frederic March), who gets her into show biz. However, his career is in decline thanks to his various issues, including alcoholism. Acting, production, and flow of story are pretty much first rate, as is the story and photography. Like the 1954 film, this one is also worth the watch.
June 4, 2012
How many movies have they done with this title--gee whiz lol.
May 27, 2012
I love early technicolor, and this film is just coated with it! Great story, great performances, and great COLOR!