A Star Is Born Reviews

• Oct 06, 2019

janet gaynor is phanamonal in this classic

janet gaynor is phanamonal in this classic

• Mar 29, 2019

This film did it first, but I saw the most recent (Bradley Cooper - Lady Gaga) version before looking back on this one. This made me concerned that I would find A Star is Born to be bland because I knew where it was headed. However, I thought the original was delightful. The story works surprisingly well when told in the context of a movie star who is on the decline discovering an ingenue. Throughout its entire existence, Hollywood has been a fickle place and the movie-going public changes their opinions in a matter of days, so it makes the story feel timeless. Janet Gaynor and Fredric March were both strong in the lead roles, but the one thing I thought the movie lacked was chemistry between the two of them. They were both charming and you could sense they liked each other, but I didn’t feel the passion that would lead to a romantic relationship. Otherwise, the film worked on many levels. It was surprisingly funny, which I appreciated. The scenes where they show some of the fake aspects of Hollywood were hilarious. Then the film got powerful and full of emotion by the end. As I continue to journey through all the different iterations of this film (it’s been remade at least 3 times.) I will now consider this original version the gold standard by which I will judge all the rest.

• Nov 19, 2018

La melancolica historia de William Wellman muestra mas que una historia de amor un retrato al sueño de una chica de ser alguien en Hollywood que se mostraba ambicioso, Su vision amplia de romance hace que esta historia enmarque el sueño actoral de muchas mujeres.

• Oct 23, 2018

Outstanding. Exceptional music. Thought provoking. Realistic. Heart breaking. Sensual. Tear jerker. Beautiful.

• Oct 12, 2018

A well-performed innocent, romantically complicated affective spin of a rising star before "All About Eve" kept its metaphorical balance scale of rising fame and self-destruction till the scale tipped to a decently satisfying payoff with little triumphant. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Oct 06, 2018

For a film about acting, it is frustrating that we never see how Esther's evolves or Norman's gets worse; besides, this feels completely dated now, shifting focus halfway through from its weak female protagonist to a selfish male and coming off as awfully sexist with its traditional values.

• Sep 28, 2018

i thought this was pretty good

i thought this was pretty good

• Sep 17, 2018

an extravaganza for life.. A Star Is Born A Star Is Born is a character driven drama about a couple whose professional life dives in, on their personal life that creates a havoc. The premise guides you the categorized plethora of poignancy that it contains, but smartly the feature is still inspiring as much as heartbreaking it is. Gaynor's character fuels this basic needs of the tale in order to creates its high pitched emotional sequences, and with her being on driver's seat, all we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride. The structure may be dependent on various acts whose tone shifts as they vary widely, and hence fortunately with substance like such comes with panache that draws the attention of the viewers through it. Brimmed with details of the inner world of the Hollywood industry, the tale manages to keep the flow fluent and observant with tiny notions imputed to hit on the nerves. With such jagged and gritty script that dives in on the "dirty" repercussions of any whatsoever deed, shows the passion and guts of the makers to go bold on such scale. It is rich on technical aspects like sound department, production design, editing and mature cinematography. As mentioned earlier, Gaynor's performance is career defining as it is conveyed on the feature and with a support from March whose loss communicates clearly with the viewers along with its stakes; the feature is no short on performance. Wellman's execution is what blends this humorous inspiring bold tale with finesse that runs through decades and passes the torch potentially to subsequent generations. A journey brimmed with plethora of variations as it does, a layered policy hidden behind it and stellar performances up front are the high points of the feature. A Star Is Born thrives on human nature which then raises the question of how it stages it, and luckily it is an extravaganza for life.

• Jul 05, 2018

pleasant, good acting

pleasant, good acting

• Sep 24, 2017

The best of all 3 of these movies.

The best of all 3 of these movies.