The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Reviews

• Apr 19, 2020

I've watched many adaptations of the story. I even survived the abysmal musical starring Kurt Douglas. Yes Kirk Douglas played Dr. Jekyll and they even justified his lack of a British accent by saying he was Canadian. But that's another story. Jack Palance did a fantastic job as both Jekyll and Hyde, and this plot closely follows the original story more so than the famous Fredric March version. Even though it's not completely faithful, the makeup on Hyde is a little plastic in some close ups, and names have been changed for no apparent reason, the story does hold you and it realistically shows Jekyll's decline as a shape shifting drug addict. I don't see the reason why they changed the name of his lawyer from Utterson to Devlin. Regardless, you see Jekyll's dependency on the formula growing, and Edward Hyde becoming more depraved with each transformation over a period of five months. He starts out as a sexual predator, then becomes abusive and then finally murderous. His evil nature becomes so strong, it's at a point where it becomes his natural form and Henry becomes the secondary form in spite of himself. The chemistry that both Jekyll and Hyde have with the girl Gwyneth is very distinctive and you can tell there is something there between she and both of his personalities. The DVD itself, however, leaves you wanting because even though the menu says there's a side B, there is no B. And that's a shame because I would've loved to have seen the interviews with Jack and the cast for what was an award-winning special. I highly recommend this version for subtlety, it's attention to plot, and the psychological examination of drug dependency.

• Mar 04, 2009

So beyond ridiculous that your entertainment from it isn't from the intensity of it, but of how absurd it all is and overall, pretty darn funny. Jack Palance's laugh as Mr. Hyde is unforgettable and absolutely hilarious. ...I do wish I could get the two hours of my life back, though....

• Aug 25, 2008

Pretty pretty pretty good

Pretty pretty pretty good

• Feb 04, 2008

pretty good (definitely better than the dracula movie he was in)

pretty good (definitely better than the dracula movie he was in)

• Sep 22, 2006

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Linko05/MovieCovers2/StrangeCaseOfDrJekyllAndMrHyde.jpg[/img] [b]The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968)[/b] Virtually no one has seen this movie, especially not anyone my age. When I was a kid I loved the book, [i]Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde[/i]. I've seen a fair amount of movie adaptations and most don't even remotely resemble the book. This is the only one that I've ever seen that tries to go along with the book. I saw this late one night many years ago and recently bought the DVD which is now out of print but still fairly easy to find. I watched this again for the first time since I was a kid and it was even better than I remembered. The picture quality is poor but the acting is great. It's also surprisingly violent. There are quite a few scenes with a lot of blood. Jack Palance was extremely convincing as Mr. Hyde. I was impressed.