Suburbia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suburbia Reviews

½ August 1, 2011
The film doesn't really go anywhere but for a semi-documentary look at american punk rock culture its not bad. There needs to be more films with punk rockers i tell ya!
June 15, 2011
One of my favorite flicks, ever. Even though I know how it ends, I still cry. Great music and a really eclectic cast - no break-out stars here, just realistic casting choices (even Flea's turn as Razzle). TR!
May 31, 2011
Brilliant in stretches and awful and amateurish at others. It's a fine case of a filmmaker having a totally authentic vision, and a deep compassion for her subjects, but not much ability to form a film.
March 19, 2011
Just watched on Netflix, bad ass movie.
December 9, 2010
great movie. the best there ever was.
December 5, 2010
This is punk rock. Gritty, dark, emotional, brilliant.
½ November 5, 2010
Looked quiet authentic.
Enjoyed it.
½ September 5, 2010
It's considered a punksploitation classic I suppose. There are several aspects of it I didn't like especially the downer ending since I saw it coming all the way from the beginning, but that's punk for you and really the whole movie is one big long cynical poisonous joke. And yet I can't say it was boring or worthless. Spheeris tried to make a film that caught the moment, and I think she succeeded.
½ August 31, 2010
Finally caught up to this Roger Corman produced cult classic about a group of poor urban punk rockers in L.A., who come together as outcasts and form the "family" unit, in an abandoned house, that was denied them in their own dysfunctional homes. Director Penelope Sheeris overcomes the minimal acting talent from her cast of unknowns to create a strong, poignant and sometimes shocking portrayal of the poor urban youth during the 80's era recession who got caught up in the underground punk movement. Spheeris avoids the sterotypical portray of punks that most films from then till now have embraced and portrays them as human beings whom society and their own families cast out. Unfortunately, their need to rebel and non conformist style brings them into conflict with some of the more narrow minded members of their neighborhood. A surprisingly powerful low budgeter. Extra bit of trivia: punker Razzle is played by a certain "Mike B. The Flea" ... three guesses what Mr. "Flea" does now.
August 7, 2010
This movie was both strange from beginning to finish.
I am not throwing that out of contexts to.
But it seriously is a great movie one of Penelope Spheeris
Best movies it followings the life of homeless teenagers who do
nothing in society.And how they live there lives in a suburban neighborhood
where they are unwanted.
½ June 18, 2010
i enjoyed this mainly as window on the time period. the story is pretty standard - disaffected youth in rebellion against the older generation. there are some pretty cool scenes, aesthetically speaking. certain scenes and sequences had me thinking of other movies: "easy rider", "kids", "SLC punk", and even "reservoir dogs" just to name a few.
June 4, 2010
Cult classic about the LA punk lifestyle circa the early 80s is honest, sympathetic, tragic and funny. And Flea is in it!
May 21, 2010
"What's the T.R. stand for, Totally Retarded?"

LOVED IT.
April 18, 2010
Sad... but, good at the same time!!
½ March 23, 2010
Everytime i see it, just good memories pass by my mind.
Bad acting but a great movie none the less... This was a must watch( for those who like punk scene) when I was a kid... And it still is good after all these years!
March 2, 2010
I'm on my way to the T.R. house now. This movie is an interesting look into the mindset of the early 80's "rejected." Their conduct can be measured by the freedom and insanity they display while unleashing their swath of mayhem on the unsuspecting populous. A few laid off GM employees take matters into their own hands and really get these kids worked up. This movie has a very provocative intro and it never really lets up. Quite a little punk gem.
½ January 22, 2010
This is about a bunch of punk rock squatters living in an abandoned house in the middle of a deserted suburb. They like to kick it, and get high and get drunk and listen to punk rock music and watch TV (which I don't understand how they have electricity- but they do.)
Eventually, They become the scourge of the nearby town full of yuppies and main-streamers. Like when a couple of rednecks come to their abandoned neighborhood, and take target practice with all the rabid stray dogs, they fight with those two bozos through the entire film. And after one of the girls in the group dies of an overdose, they trash the funeral home after learning her dad molested her.
Yeah these kids aren't model citizens, but just look at how all the "normal" people act. They're way more violent than the punks. Most people won't really like this movie, but this is the most accurate depiction of street punks in films; that's why I like it so much.
January 10, 2010
this is a great punk rock movie. i actually know tim (skinner), and his role is so much like him even to this day. a must see.
January 10, 2010
this is a great punk rock movie. I actually know Tim (skinner). his role in the movie is so like him even to this day. excellent movie