Summer School - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer School Reviews

June 29, 2016
Used to love this when i was younger but the film really hasnt aged that well. But always nice to go back and look at Kirstie Ally when she was hot and who can forget agent Gibbs in his prime. The one thing i did notice was the appearance of Allotta Fagina in the film. lol

7/10
May 18, 2016
As an 80's movie fan, this is one I have always wanted to check out. Somehow I never heard of it at the time and I can't recall even seeing it on VHS back in the day, or would have definitely rented it.
Firstly, the version I saw was free to air on tv late at night. So I understand parts of the movie would have been cut or edited for tv. Maybe it caused me to enjoy it less.
I can't imagine I would feel too differently about a longer version though.
This was pretty average considering the ratings.
I liked Courtney Thorne Smith. She was about the best thing in it. The guys were all really douchey.
The storyline was far fetched. I think movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont high did these types of characters better.
I suspect this is a nostalgia favourite. I have a few of them myself from the 80's. Movies I know are bad, but I loved them at the time and they remind me of that era.
½ March 6, 2016
A simply fun 80's movie. It's got that nice cast of colorful characters, the lead is nice, the plot is simple and yet fun. They take the story and have fun with it. This is no way an award winning movie but just a fun innocent movie to enjoy
½ February 9, 2016
Okay comedy. Do not expect realism here. I imagine that in the real world, a teacher would motivate their class to work much harder than the students in this movie did.
November 28, 2015
Alright...I will admit that I found this to be funnier than expected. Certainly not one of the great 80's comedies, but there was a certain amount of charm to it that pleased me.
½ June 8, 2015
This man went to jail for his students.

A teacher on his way to Hawaii for summer vacation has his plans interrupted by a requirement to teach summer school. The class is full of misfits that really have no chance to pass. He uses his own brand of teaching which at first is too loose, but eventually uses more deliberate messages to try and reach his class. Can the desperate teacher reach his band of misfits to get them through their end of summer exams?

"Don't go in there without a gun! It's terrible!"

Carl Reiner, director of The Jerk, Summer Rental, Fatal Instinct, The Man with Two Brains, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, and The One and Only, delivers Summer School. The storyline for this picture is pretty weak and of similar quality as the Nerds pictures. The cast delivers pretty solid performances and includes Mark Harmon, Kristie Alley, Gary Riley, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Dean Cameron, and Kelly Jo Minter.

"Where have you been?"
"Bathroom."
"Six weeks?"
"My zipper got stuck."

I came across this on HBOGO and remembered having watched it when I was much younger on HBO. This is one of those movies that used to be on television all of the time when I was a kid. It's one of those feel good, coming of age films that you always wonder what happened to those kids after the summer? Overall, the acting and character development is better than it should be and very fun, but the overall movie is very average. This is worth a viewing if you grew up in the 80s.

"We've been sober for 2 days, 4 hours, and 15 minutes."

Grade: C
May 24, 2015
Typical clichà (C)d 80's flick that's a lot of fun. Chainsaw & Dave RULE!
May 11, 2015
Watchable 80's teen flick chock full of cliches.
½ January 6, 2015
As a traditional 80's teen comedy, Summer School is funny and entertaining and benefits from a likable performance by Mark Harmon.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Saw this many times before and it was funny :D 80s movies ,, gotta love them !
August 16, 2014
(First viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 10, 2014
Not all comedies age well. This one is the exception. It's sweet, hilarious, well-played and has some good life lessons too.
July 15, 2014
I watched this again after about 20 years. My brother and I thought it was hilarious when we were kids. It actually holds up pretty well. Harmon holds the movie together and Chainsaw and Dave are as funny as ever.
December 25, 2013
Good movie. Funny, with great performance from Harmon.
½ July 27, 2013
Solid 80s movie with lots of future TV "stars".
July 16, 2013
A solidly enjoyable 80's comedy. While it does not do anything spectacular, it does just enough to keep you entertained.
July 11, 2013
Better than I expected... I had a few legit laughs.
½ July 2, 2013
Enjoyable summer movie for those who hated going to school in the summer can relate to. School phys ed teacher, who really shouldn't be teaching in the first place is given an odd ball group of misfits and tries to help them pass their english exams in 6 weeks. goofy fun with Harmon charming as ever.
June 23, 2013
I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT
May 12, 2013
This comedy has elements from the "teen movie" genre and "inspirational teacher" subgenre while outgrowing them both. I find those elements usually annoying but in this case the comedic angle makes them funny and hides the clumsy handling they usually receive. The storyline is about an uninvolved gym teacher with a rather "laisser-faire" style who is tasked with a summer remedial english class. He makes deals with his students in order to convince them of studying and, in the end, everybody improves, including the teacher.