Suspect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suspect Reviews

July 4, 2016
Suspect is a fantastic film. It is about a homeless deaf-mute man who is charged with the murder of a judge's secretary. Cher, Dennis Quaid, and Liam Neeson give excellent performances. The script is good but a little slow in places. Peter Yates did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama.
½ January 26, 2016
This movie has a lot of great performances, but the story is so crazy that I find it very hard to believe at times. Still, I give it props for giving me an ending that I did not see coming.
½ July 7, 2015
You don't have to be a fan of the cast to like the film. The plot is very interesting, and there is a big twist ending too. The actors are all very convincing in their roles, and the courtrooms scenes are very believable. The only reason I give in 3.5/5 stars is because sometimes the film dragged, but other times it went by a little to fast. Some of the courtroom scenes could have been shorter, yet some of the clues and evidence could have been explained a little bit better. I am all about character development, and I would have liked to see a little bit more going on personally for the characters and not just what was going on professionally in the courtroom. However if you want to see a mystery that is unlike many of today's cheesy predictable crime dramas, I would definitely suggest this movie.
January 7, 2015
An interesting mystery and courtroom drama with some good twists. Well directed and edited
August 21, 2014
I have to be honest I am not really a huge fan of Cher .
But there are times when you look through all the baggage that goes with her profile she has the ability to be a pretty good actress.
This Courtroom thriller from director Peter Yates shows that given the right material Cher is a match for any actor.
She plays public defender Kathleen Riley who is called upon to defend the death and dumb murder suspect who may of may not have killed a judges PA.
As the trial gets underway suave political fixer Eddie Sanger played by Dennis Quaid begins to fee information about the case to Kathleen, which could put her job and even her life at risk.
The film is a well worn in places after all it is a courtroom drama but thanks to the cast most notably and astounding performance from Liam Neeson as the suspect of the films title.
Yates keeps a steady hand on the tiller and you won't see the twist coming which keeps you guessing right up to then end.
July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/30/2010)
July 12, 2014
An excellent mystery with a surprise ending. Even though Roger Ebert originally panned the ending, I thought it was well done and the surprise wasn't so left field that it helped make the story better. Cher and Dennis Quaid had real chemistry in this thriller/mystery. I strongly recommend it.
April 23, 2014
Suspect is a tense, thrilling, and sometimes even emotionally manipulating political drama that centers itself right in the heart of the action in every scene. Each part of the movie is a piece of the puzzle, and at the end, it is solved. Just about all you could ask for from a film like this.
January 16, 2014
I fail to understand why so many people admire it so much. As if it's a cult classic. It's among one of the worst courtroom dramas I've ever visited. The way the movie is presented makes it hard to be thrilled or surprised at any sequence. The opening with Supreme Court Justice committing suicide, followed by the murder of his secretary should have set the stage for the interesting drama ahead. But it is done so lamely that I couldn't help yawning. Yet I sat through it with hope that it would elevate with some suspense or twists at some point later. Apparently, I was asking for too much. It's a disappointment from beginning to ending. Yet, you may give it a go and decide for yourself whether or not it's fair to call it a cult classic!!
-5/5
January 1, 2014
Many courtroom movies use a plot that has been told before several times, but this plot is very different from the basic courtroom plot. This movie has four main characters-- Cher, Dennis Quaid, Liam Neeson & Joe Mantegna, all of whom play their rolls very well with good scripts and wonderful acting. One of Cher's best movies if you ask me.
½ November 3, 2013
I loved Cher in this.
October 19, 2013
Cher gives a powerful performance that leaves one gasping. With her co-actors this film gives a strong look at the criminal justice system in the USA leaving one fighting for the mystery to be solved. The director and camera follow the trail with suspense and emotion. Music is infrequent but dramatically sharp. Nibbles: Mississippi Mud Pie.
October 10, 2013
You will be shocked: Cher and Dennis Quaid work as a couple, and it transcends the lame and implausible screenplay here.
It's cute. I saw this on tv.
I don't know why it works, except that watching the romance develop here draws you in.
That romance makes room for you to overlook the story nonsense, and creates just enough curiosity to keep u watching.
And it's just satisfying enough that you are 'okay' with the whole thing - warts and all...lol

3 friendly 'objections' out of 5
February 22, 2013
Stylish Courtroom Thriller Has Precision and Poise
February 8, 2013
Not bad for an 80's flick when Cher was popular.
January 5, 2013
One of the all time greats. This suspense-filled drama is what all the law shows try to duplicate except this one did it with good old fashioned story-telling, compelling acting and a consistent flow of visuals. See it uncut-you get the true impact of this classic movie. Cher earns her wings in this one.
October 29, 2012
Not bad, even the acting is better than I expected.
½ October 9, 2012
Loved it. Cher is astonishing! Also evidence that Liam Neeson doesn't have to speak to make a role interesting.
August 7, 2012
This is a Cher movie i'd like to forget was ever filmed. I'm a huge Law and Order fan, but this movie is extended hours more then needed to defend the case that Chers client (homeless Niel Neesom) who's also deaf was simply accused wrongfully. Just when i'm about to give up in this movie the end has a shocking twist the judge was behind the whole thing. fine i got that, but what i don't get was Dennis Quaids character trying to gain votes (for what?).