Target - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Target Reviews

October 25, 2014
Although a lot of viewers didn't seem particularly enthused, this was really a very good movie. It moved along, with surprises and well developed suspense. The beginning may have been a little slow, and now dated ( smoking on an airplane etc.) but still feel it certainly worth a watch.
½ September 9, 2013
Friday, September 6, 2013

(1985) Target
ACTION MYSTERY THRILLER

Directed by Arthur Penn who doesn't really know how to direct an action nor a suspense thriller. Anyone thinking that "Taken" was the first movie to have the idea about "oh, I didn't know that you used to work for the CIA" should check out this movie as well since I think this was the first to have to done that except that "Taken" was much more enjoyable. Luc Besson may have seen this movie and inspired him to make his own without making it complicated. The set up has both father and son played by Matt Dillon and Gene Hackman seeing their mom/ wife off for a business trip somewhere in Paris. They then get a phone call saying that she has just been kidnapped. They both then decide to find the mother together. What Dillon didn't know was that the Gene Hackman character used to work for the CIA, and at first didn't really believe him. Although, this is more of a directors movie, it's similar to his other film called "Little Big Man" saying that this direction is much effective in a critically acclaimed Arthur Penn movie such as "Bonnie And Clyde" but not to a kidnapping film which demands 'suspense' because as viewers are watching this it's like drama then a little suspense and then more drama and then thriller and then more drama etc... The acting chops particularly the Gene Hackman character is what keeps this movie afloat, and interesting to watch despite the twists. Overall, it can still be a forgettable watch.

3 out of 4 stars
Critique Threatt
½ January 3, 2013
Not one of Arthur Penn's best. I'm not sure if it was the director's goal to make this feel like "The French Connection" or "Bullet" but "Target" doesn't hit the bullseye and fails on every level. Not good.
½ February 27, 2012
Not my thing... Well... Usually I guess, this was just sorta ridiculous
March 14, 2011
Target... Otra de las que volvĂ­ a ver luego de mucho tiempo (aprovechando los descuentos de Second Spin)
January 5, 2011
This is the wrong poster or year. If it is the Stephen Balwin movie from 2004. Its is pure unadulterated crap.
October 26, 2009
Fairly good for a 1985's film.
October 26, 2009
Fairly good for a 1985's film.
½ June 19, 2009
Very entertaining and fun movie from 1985. There is enough character development to give the movie some depths, but don't kid yourself this is an action flick. Great Fiat car chase by the best stunt coordinator ever, Remy Julienne. Filming locations USA, France and Germany.
jim222001us
½ May 16, 2009
Why does it say this is from 2003 ? lol. This movie is pretty old.
FiLmCrAzY
April 14, 2009
i found it slow and boring turned it of about half hour into it!
March 26, 2009
entertaining action movie
March 20, 2009
A typical cold war thriller, albeit from the 1980's, with little action and an often non-sensical plot. As good an actor as Gene Hackman is, he is mirrored negatively by Matt Dillon with an annoying performance - unfit to share the same frame with the great man.
½ March 16, 2009
Definitely not made in 2003 (as Flixster suggests) - try 80s... anyways to the meat of it - it's dated and poorly acted in the more emotional scens. Nut at the heart of it is what Bourne does so well. Good chases and twists, not a bad Sunday night flick.
September 14, 2008
a dont judge a book by its cover film Matt Dillon thinks his dad Gene Hackman is a 30 mile an hour guy...
½ August 3, 2008
Un film mineur de Penn qui reunit deux formidables acteurs.
July 5, 2008
This was an O.K. movie but maybe I didn't like it as much as I should have.
July 1, 2008
I suffered out of respect for Hackman and Penn.
½ May 16, 2008
Silly situations and few surprises.

Hackman simply doesn't work well as a spy, and what's more is the whole spy aspect of the movie is kind of funny. Maybe I've seen to many Bond films, but this one just doesn't have that quality.

I understand and enjoy foreshadowing in movies, but this one gave things away a little too easily. The ending was ridiculously easy to call, as well as a few of the other situations.
April 25, 2008
Its a decent action movie, Europe always seems to be a great setting to run around and in and save the day.