Them! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Them! Reviews

½ August 31, 2016
An absolutely delightfully schlocky old creature-feature. Not thought-provoking by any stretch but a lot of fun. The giant ant effects manage to even be just a little unnerving at times, owing to some great attention to practical effects even around the very limited resources of the time.
½ May 8, 2016
Wasn't great, but at least it was original. I could just imagine people watching it in a drive in.
½ April 28, 2016
THEM! (1954): The 1950's is known for cheesy sci-fi and creature of the week flicks that do not always stand the test of time. This flick is about how atomic testing in New Mexico created giant mutant ants does stand up more than others. I would even consider this a classic of that era with a decent plot and some suspense. While the ants do not look all that impressive-they still capture that magic before modern day CGI ruined the imagination.
April 9, 2016
Them! (1954) ????
Brilliant '50s monster movie, arguably the best, about ants who grow to man-eating size after being exposed to atomic radiation in New Mexico. Extremely suspenseful movie moves at lightning pace and seems more potent than ever thanks to ingenious plotting, truly dazzling direction. Many classic vintages; climatic sewer battle with flamethrowers is highlight. Blink-literally-and you'll miss Leonard Nimoy at a teletype machine. Special effects are a wow!
½ March 29, 2016
Really impressive special effects and fine acting, but the second act of the movie drags and repeats itself. Information that could be given in one scene is instead spread over the course of 30 minutes.
March 29, 2016
For every kid who has ever gone out into his front yard with a magnifying glass and burnt ant, well today your day of reckoning has come.

This movie started the trend of normal animals get mutated by radiation and then goes on a rampage. While utterly laughable by today's understanding of radiation, this movie plays strongly into the fear of 1950's audience of not knowing what the ramifications of such technology could bring about. The future was bright and scary all at the same time. The treat of being wiped out by other nations was a constant lingering thought and this movie suggests that we might not need another nation to exterminate us, but we car capable of doing it on our own with the monsters of our own creations.

Originally, this was going to be released in color, which is why the opening title card is a bright red to this day, but it was decided to have the film remain in black and white, which is all for the better I'd say. The atmosphere of the bleak landscapes and striking figures of the giant ants would not have been quiet so terrifying if audiences could see them as they were, giant hand held puppets. Good on you Warner Brothers, for once a studio note that vastly improves a film instead of hindering it.
March 26, 2016
My favorite B&W monster flick!
½ March 14, 2016
Sure, it's cheesy, but for its time this was a great horror flick.
March 11, 2016
Probably the best creature films out there ever!
March 2, 2016
Best of the 50s mutant animal films. Stellar cast, taut script and direction. Essential.
½ February 25, 2016
Now this is how to do a monster movie. It's simple, no annoying side characters, everyone is cooperative for the most part, and just a little bit of cheese.
Effects are very good for 54. Quite impressive actually. While 1 or two things may not be explained the overall puzzle of Them! is simple yet effective.
It may be a by the numbers atomic age create feature, but the way it was done was great. They make no attempt to blame anyone for the creation of Them, but it's simply a new reality to face.
Well done and a must for any monster movie fan.
January 13, 2016
Cheesy sci-fi B movie. But well made with a great turn by James Whitmore. The first of the giant bug movies and probably the best.
January 12, 2016
Far more entertaining than it probably has the right to be. Great creature effects, surprisingly good pacing, and a heavy dose of flamethrower make this easy to recommend. 4 stars
October 28, 2015
This movie creeped me out when I was a kid. Now I enjoy its retro attitude and fun monster movie tropes. Just got my Bly ray copy to watch!
October 11, 2015
Saw this in 1954 when I was 7 and it haunted me for days. Since then I have seen it many times and everytime it creates the same. creepy horror it did many years ago. No CG here folks. 9 foot mechanical Ants that still are amazing. Great performances by James Whitmore and James Arness with a standout job by Edmond Gwenn. See it by all means...time and again. Warner Brothers top grossing film of 1954!
½ September 15, 2015
This movie was supposedly the first to ignite the giant bug subgenre, the first of the nuclear monster movies, the age of atomic monsters . Being released in the same year as the epic Japanese 'Godzilla' you could say this was the western/American equivalent of that iconic movie. Now, of course, the big question is which movie inspired the other? or did that even happen? The plots are virtually the same accept for the main creature/s dishing out the destruction, coincidence? Maybe it was just the simple coincidence of people both east and west suffering from the fear of nuclear technology, America with the Cold War era and Japan with WWII.

The plot is pretty predictable to anyone with basic movie knowledge. In the New Mexico desert people have been found dead (or just not found at all) and their property destroyed, the only clues being some mysterious tracks in the sand. In time various specialists are brought in to try and figure out what's going on, eventually it is revealed that giant ants are nesting in the area as a result of the recent atomic bomb tests. The clock is ticking as the plucky team of specialists (and a beat cop) try to destroy the nest before more ants hatch and any Queens escape, unfortunately they are unable to prevent this which leads us to a climatic battle against the ants as they infest LA.

Right! effects, how good are they? well, considering this was the first giant bug movie and it was 1954, they aren't too bad, but not great methinks. Big mechanical puppets were created of the ants that moved ever so slightly, on one hand this worked because it gave a good degree of scope and perspective to the horror facing the humans. On the other hand it obviously looked kinda hokey because the big fuzzy ants didn't look too scary and didn't move too well. Compare these ants to the giant Mantis in that giant Mantis movie, and honesty the ants are nowhere near as creepy if you ask me. One big issue was the eyes, again (like 'The Black Scorpion') for some reason they give the ants big humanoid-ish eyes which gave the bugs emotion (sort of), something you don't really wanna see. The reason why the giant Mantis worked so well was because it was a very faithful recreation of a real Mantis, these ants are along those lines but the eyes spoilt it, plus the large antennas and body hair looked silly (something that couldn't be helped I guess).

As per usual there are all the predictable stereotypes galore here, but we must remember that this was the first time using them...kinda. So, what do I mean by that anyway, well the lead is a handsome bloke, his sidekick is an attractive female, there are of course a few other males leads, military types and such, and lastly we have the good old crusty scientist gent. The type of character that looks and sounds like he's just stepped off a Hammer Horror set. All of which put in solid performances, nothing outstanding, but solid, although you can tell Edmund Gwenn, as the crusty old scientist, had troubles with his lines, you can see he's possibly reading them off a cue card, or just really straining to remember them, bless. One surprise was the small role played a child actress at the start. She barely does much other than scream and act stunned...but she does it bloody well!

One thing I did find quite amusing was the character of Sgt. Peterson, the cop who first discovers the mutilated devastation left by the ants in the desert. Now this guy is just a cop right, OK he's a Sarge, but simply a State trooper. So can someone explain to me why and how he manages to accompany everybody from the military to the FBI, on all missions and confidential discussions? I mean yeah sure he witnessed an attack and found the original carnage but why the hell is he still involved by the end of the movie. At one point he's descending down into the ant nest, then he's firing a flippin' bazooka at it! he's just a cop! why would he be doing any of this??!! Its also amazing how despite what is unraveling, its the same handful of people that deal with everything, surely there would be tonnes of top ranking people, officials, military units etc...all involved trying to save LA, not just this trio of a cop, a woman and an FBI agent.

Speaking of the ants nest, do I detect an element that was highly inspirational for the James Cameron sci-fi thriller 'Aliens'? Its all very familiar its got to be said, the dark tunnels, the decaying ant bodies strewn around, the characters only lit up by torch light, flamethrowers, and then of course the discovery of the egg chamber, some hatched etc...The same could be said for the LA sewer tunnel sequences at the end too. Could be a long shot but it definitely seems possible that this movie might have influenced future sci-fi horrors. Said LA sewer sequence is also a bit anti-climatic in my opinion, it doesn't really have the eerie atmosphere of being out in the sticks somewhere, plus the ants don't really blend into those surroundings too well, they look too obvious as big puppets.

It also really amuses me how bullets, bombs and sometimes even rockets don't affect these creatures. OK they are huge bugs and we know many bugs have armour protection, but would they really be impervious to bullets?? Would a giant tarantula be unstoppable against bullets? would a giant ant be unstoppable? surely a bullet from a gun (especially a machine gun) would have a great deal of affect and cause death after time. Plus wouldn't the creatures eyes be an ideal target, you never see the characters shoot the bugs eyes no matter how big and obvious they are. Again surely that would down the bug instantly.

Anyway the movie is a great example of the subgenre and probably one of the best on offer. I still think 'Tarantula' is probably the epitome of the giant bug horror flicks with terrific effects and a genuinely scary giant arachnid. This movie is probably the acorn that major blockbusters grew out of over time though, the way the movie plays out, the scenarios, the way its shot, the action etc...definitely a one-off back in the 50's. Its just a shame the films title is so damn stupid and cheesy, although I liked the use of colour for the opening title sequence in bold red and blue, it almost looks 3D.

'When Man entered the atomic age, he opened a door into a new world. What we'll eventually find in that new world, nobody can predict.'
August 4, 2015
Though the special effects have considerably aged since 1954, the film is still incredibly entertaining and a very harrowing experience. Plus, for 1954, these special effects are pretty spectacular. Them! is a fun science fiction film from the 1950's that in my mind, certainly stands the test of time and, to me, a remake would be a pretty fun idea, though with the market flooded with creature features now, it is hard to imagine it happening. A landmark film in science fiction and monster movies, Them! is a classic in every sense of the word.
August 2, 2015
Oh no, the atomic ants got Wilhelm!
June 19, 2015
Unevenly paced, however when the giant-ants do show-up get ready for action galore!
June 9, 2015
Getting into the spirit of Halloween I'm going to review THEM. A 1950's monster movie about mutant ants. The ants are mutated from radiation maybe from A-Bomb tests. The effects are a little laughable today with the ants but a lot of this was borrowed later for Aliens.

If you don't know what I'm taking about rent THEM when you can. It's available almost everywhere You'll see the things related to Aliens, the girl as the lone survivor, people torching the nest, all that from THEM originally. This movie has a 100% on the tomatometer and it shows with the anti-nuclear moral. Also I think you can see a young Leonard Nimoy in one of the scenes too. Watch it for yourselves and see what you think of it.