Them! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Them! Reviews

½ June 19, 2017
Unevenly paced, however when the giant-ants do show-up get ready for action galore!
April 7, 2017
a movie i can see anytime it is on
March 5, 2017
Makes good use of creature effects, but I felt the movie bounced around between too many protagonists and lacked focus.
½ February 18, 2017
One of the more impressive Sci-fi B Movies, THEM boasts some impressive effects for the period and a good solid story with reliable (if not overly charismatic) characters.
November 29, 2016
A perfect monster movie that hasn't dated a bit. The atmosphere, suspense, special effects, mystery, all these elements are on high level.
October 31, 2016
A revolutionary film by Hollywood standards, Them! Is as Classic as you can get!
½ August 31, 2016
An absolutely delightfully schlocky old creature-feature. Not thought-provoking by any stretch but a lot of fun. The giant ant effects manage to even be just a little unnerving at times, owing to some great attention to practical effects even around the very limited resources of the time.
½ May 8, 2016
Wasn't great, but at least it was original. I could just imagine people watching it in a drive in.
½ April 28, 2016
THEM! (1954): The 1950's is known for cheesy sci-fi and creature of the week flicks that do not always stand the test of time. This flick is about how atomic testing in New Mexico created giant mutant ants does stand up more than others. I would even consider this a classic of that era with a decent plot and some suspense. While the ants do not look all that impressive-they still capture that magic before modern day CGI ruined the imagination.
April 9, 2016
Them! (1954) ????
Brilliant '50s monster movie, arguably the best, about ants who grow to man-eating size after being exposed to atomic radiation in New Mexico. Extremely suspenseful movie moves at lightning pace and seems more potent than ever thanks to ingenious plotting, truly dazzling direction. Many classic vintages; climatic sewer battle with flamethrowers is highlight. Blink-literally-and you'll miss Leonard Nimoy at a teletype machine. Special effects are a wow!
½ March 29, 2016
Really impressive special effects and fine acting, but the second act of the movie drags and repeats itself. Information that could be given in one scene is instead spread over the course of 30 minutes.
March 29, 2016
For every kid who has ever gone out into his front yard with a magnifying glass and burnt ant, well today your day of reckoning has come.

This movie started the trend of normal animals get mutated by radiation and then goes on a rampage. While utterly laughable by today's understanding of radiation, this movie plays strongly into the fear of 1950's audience of not knowing what the ramifications of such technology could bring about. The future was bright and scary all at the same time. The treat of being wiped out by other nations was a constant lingering thought and this movie suggests that we might not need another nation to exterminate us, but we car capable of doing it on our own with the monsters of our own creations.

Originally, this was going to be released in color, which is why the opening title card is a bright red to this day, but it was decided to have the film remain in black and white, which is all for the better I'd say. The atmosphere of the bleak landscapes and striking figures of the giant ants would not have been quiet so terrifying if audiences could see them as they were, giant hand held puppets. Good on you Warner Brothers, for once a studio note that vastly improves a film instead of hindering it.
March 26, 2016
My favorite B&W monster flick!
½ March 14, 2016
Sure, it's cheesy, but for its time this was a great horror flick.
March 11, 2016
Probably the best creature films out there ever!
March 2, 2016
Best of the 50s mutant animal films. Stellar cast, taut script and direction. Essential.
½ February 25, 2016
Now this is how to do a monster movie. It's simple, no annoying side characters, everyone is cooperative for the most part, and just a little bit of cheese.
Effects are very good for 54. Quite impressive actually. While 1 or two things may not be explained the overall puzzle of Them! is simple yet effective.
It may be a by the numbers atomic age create feature, but the way it was done was great. They make no attempt to blame anyone for the creation of Them, but it's simply a new reality to face.
Well done and a must for any monster movie fan.
January 13, 2016
Cheesy sci-fi B movie. But well made with a great turn by James Whitmore. The first of the giant bug movies and probably the best.
January 12, 2016
Far more entertaining than it probably has the right to be. Great creature effects, surprisingly good pacing, and a heavy dose of flamethrower make this easy to recommend. 4 stars
October 28, 2015
This movie creeped me out when I was a kid. Now I enjoy its retro attitude and fun monster movie tropes. Just got my Bly ray copy to watch!