Them! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Them! Reviews

March 2, 2015
The best ant movie ever in history! Also one of the best science-fiction films of the 50's, Them! is an extremely entertaining film, but not to watch if paranoid by ants. Extreme quality and acting. This film is definitely recommended!
February 2, 2015
Surprisingly good for a low-budget monster movie. It's my understanding that this is one of the first movies to use the idea of nuclear testing creating mutant monsters (in this case, giant ants) that terrorize the nation. Sure, the ants are large rubber puppets, but they work better than visual effects would have. They give the cast something to look at and focus on. And the cast is quite good for this sort of film, with James Whitmore and James Arness giving solid performances as lawmen trying to eradicate the ants. And the scientists are all in favour of killing the bugs rather than saving them and studying them. There's also a female scientist who holds her own against the men who want her stay out of harm's way. All in all, a taut, well-crafted thriller.
½ January 18, 2015
Una de la mejores peliculas de serie b , pero que le da mucha vuelta al asunto alargandose y perdiendo el interés.
November 22, 2014
Some of this may not ring as true today as it did then, but it's wonderful entertainment.
The ants are shockingly frightening. The climax was truly engaging. But it was too preachy about atomic alarmism.
November 14, 2014
A classic chiller from the '50s that avoids the goofy fun zone, because it's actually a good movie. 76/100
October 21, 2014
A very well done and impressive science fiction film that promotes what's best about the genre.
½ October 11, 2014
One of the best "B" sci-fi/horror films of 50's.
½ September 16, 2014
With a really well-done production value and special effects at that time along with good scientology on its subject, it's a 4-star film by its qualities. However, it's a kind of film that's labeled as a B-movie with the feeling of its label. So it's a 3.5-star film. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
June 28, 2014
As far as creature features from the fifties go, Them! is definitely one I would put high up on the 'must see' list!
½ June 14, 2014
Them! is a well-made monster film. It is about the earliest atomic tests in New Mexico that cause common ants to mutate into giant man-eating monsters that threaten civilization. James Whitmore and Edmund Gwenn give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written with plenty of frights. Gordon Douglas did a great job directing. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the horror and fantasy. Them! is a must see.
½ June 7, 2014
A good science fiction horror film from1954 about giant ants causing havoc
½ May 15, 2014
made me laugh but also got the creepy crawleys
½ February 11, 2014
A fun and entertaining movie filled with cheesy 50's dialogue and sexism. But no big romance, which is pretty neat. Also, the guy who played Santa in "Miracle on 34th Street" is in this!
½ January 24, 2014
The city of Los Angeles is under martial law.

During the early stages of the atom bomb development they were tested in the desert in New Mexico. The experiments caused ants to mutate into giants. The ants destroy several towns and start heading towards Los Angeles. The governments prepares for a biblical attack.

"What we actually find in that new world no one can predict."

Gordon Douglas, director of In Like Flint, Little Rascals, Robin and the 7 Hoods, The Miracle, Yellowstone Kelly, and The Iron Mistress, delivers Them! The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. The special effects are fairly poor, but the film is still fun. The cast delivers interesting performances and include James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn, Joan Weldon, and James Arness.

"Everything seems to point to homicidal maniac."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past Halloween season (my favorite movie watching time of year). I liked watching this movie; it isn't the best mutant movie of its time, but it is a nice addition to the genre. I recommend giving this old school picture a viewing.

"They're alive!"

Grade: C +/ B- (6.5)
December 7, 2013
While it does live up to it's cheesy, but often, very well done effects, Them! disappoints with being a slow-burn horror classic.
December 3, 2013
A classic and masterful monster movie, with a fantastic plot, mind blowing special effects for its time, and great suspense. This film is one of the best monster movies ever made!
½ November 29, 2013
An entertaining 50's Sci-fi/Creature feature that is a bit dated but holds up better than most films of this genre and time.
½ November 5, 2013
Another one of those films that require me to suspend my disbelief. By today's standards, the giant ants are so damned fake looking that your first instinct would be to laugh them off the screen. That's the instinct I kept fighting off while trying to appreciate this B-movie classic. And, again, as with most films from the bygone era, there's a lot of yammering away, delivering gobs of exposition in melodramatic tones, and the acting style is over-the-top by today's standards. However, I'm trying to learn how to appreciate films from another time, which is a little like learning how to speak a foreign language and adapt to the strange customs of the land. Once I told myself that it was 1950 and that CGI doesn't exist, and that most things from this era can't be done logistically in that distant past, I began to open up to the movie. You see, I feel that the only way to enjoy a film from the past is to treat it like a stage play, I am meant to use my imagination to fill in the gaps that the lack of technology and method acting leave behind. Once I did this, once I allowed myself to accept these giant phony ants as the ants of this particular film universe, I actually started to find those foam heads terrifying and creepy. I've learned how to watch outmoded special effects with a sense of awe.
½ September 30, 2013
When we first see one of the giant ants, we are both amazed and terrified, and that's what works here when nothing else does.
½ September 28, 2013
This has aged phenomenally better than it had any right to. The two thing that impressed be the most were the the special effects (top tier practical effects from the 50's are always going to look better than the best CG has to offer after 5 years) and Dr. Patricia Medford. Here is a female character FROM THE 50'S who is, A doctor, never needs rescued, very useful, and doesn't put up with the male chauvinism of the era. She does it all without making a fuss about it either. I also got a kick from how morbid some of the lines were . The only complaint that I have is that the ending is a touch anticlimatic. Not that it wasn't good, or fitting, just for the rest of the movie to be so stellar having an ending that just "works" leaves you wanting something bigger.