Them! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Them! Reviews

August 4, 2015
Though the special effects have considerably aged since 1954, the film is still incredibly entertaining and a very harrowing experience. Plus, for 1954, these special effects are pretty spectacular. Them! is a fun science fiction film from the 1950's that in my mind, certainly stands the test of time and, to me, a remake would be a pretty fun idea, though with the market flooded with creature features now, it is hard to imagine it happening. A landmark film in science fiction and monster movies, Them! is a classic in every sense of the word.
August 2, 2015
Oh no, the atomic ants got Wilhelm!
June 19, 2015
Unevenly paced, however when the giant-ants do show-up get ready for action galore!
June 9, 2015
Getting into the spirit of Halloween I'm going to review THEM. A 1950's monster movie about mutant ants. The ants are mutated from radiation maybe from A-Bomb tests. The effects are a little laughable today with the ants but a lot of this was borrowed later for Aliens.

If you don't know what I'm taking about rent THEM when you can. It's available almost everywhere You'll see the things related to Aliens, the girl as the lone survivor, people torching the nest, all that from THEM originally. This movie has a 100% on the tomatometer and it shows with the anti-nuclear moral. Also I think you can see a young Leonard Nimoy in one of the scenes too. Watch it for yourselves and see what you think of it.
March 2, 2015
The best ant movie ever in history! Also one of the best science-fiction films of the 50's, Them! is an extremely entertaining film, but not to watch if paranoid by ants. Extreme quality and acting. This film is definitely recommended!
February 2, 2015
Surprisingly good for a low-budget monster movie. It's my understanding that this is one of the first movies to use the idea of nuclear testing creating mutant monsters (in this case, giant ants) that terrorize the nation. Sure, the ants are large rubber puppets, but they work better than visual effects would have. They give the cast something to look at and focus on. And the cast is quite good for this sort of film, with James Whitmore and James Arness giving solid performances as lawmen trying to eradicate the ants. And the scientists are all in favour of killing the bugs rather than saving them and studying them. There's also a female scientist who holds her own against the men who want her stay out of harm's way. All in all, a taut, well-crafted thriller.
½ January 18, 2015
Una de la mejores peliculas de serie b , pero que le da mucha vuelta al asunto alargandose y perdiendo el interés.
November 22, 2014
Some of this may not ring as true today as it did then, but it's wonderful entertainment.
The ants are shockingly frightening. The climax was truly engaging. But it was too preachy about atomic alarmism.
November 14, 2014
A classic chiller from the '50s that avoids the goofy fun zone, because it's actually a good movie. 76/100
October 21, 2014
A very well done and impressive science fiction film that promotes what's best about the genre.
½ October 11, 2014
One of the best "B" sci-fi/horror films of 50's.
½ September 16, 2014
With a really well-done production value and special effects at that time along with good scientology on its subject, it's a 4-star film by its qualities. However, it's a kind of film that's labeled as a B-movie with the feeling of its label. So it's a 3.5-star film. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
June 28, 2014
As far as creature features from the fifties go, Them! is definitely one I would put high up on the 'must see' list!
½ June 14, 2014
Them! is a well-made monster film. It is about the earliest atomic tests in New Mexico that cause common ants to mutate into giant man-eating monsters that threaten civilization. James Whitmore and Edmund Gwenn give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written with plenty of frights. Gordon Douglas did a great job directing. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the horror and fantasy. Them! is a must see.
½ June 7, 2014
A good science fiction horror film from1954 about giant ants causing havoc
½ May 15, 2014
made me laugh but also got the creepy crawleys
½ February 11, 2014
A fun and entertaining movie filled with cheesy 50's dialogue and sexism. But no big romance, which is pretty neat. Also, the guy who played Santa in "Miracle on 34th Street" is in this!
½ January 24, 2014
The city of Los Angeles is under martial law.

During the early stages of the atom bomb development they were tested in the desert in New Mexico. The experiments caused ants to mutate into giants. The ants destroy several towns and start heading towards Los Angeles. The governments prepares for a biblical attack.

"What we actually find in that new world no one can predict."

Gordon Douglas, director of In Like Flint, Little Rascals, Robin and the 7 Hoods, The Miracle, Yellowstone Kelly, and The Iron Mistress, delivers Them! The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. The special effects are fairly poor, but the film is still fun. The cast delivers interesting performances and include James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn, Joan Weldon, and James Arness.

"Everything seems to point to homicidal maniac."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past Halloween season (my favorite movie watching time of year). I liked watching this movie; it isn't the best mutant movie of its time, but it is a nice addition to the genre. I recommend giving this old school picture a viewing.

"They're alive!"

Grade: C +/ B- (6.5)
December 7, 2013
While it does live up to it's cheesy, but often, very well done effects, Them! disappoints with being a slow-burn horror classic.
December 3, 2013
A classic and masterful monster movie, with a fantastic plot, mind blowing special effects for its time, and great suspense. This film is one of the best monster movies ever made!