Shivers (They Came from Within) (The Parasite Murders) Reviews

• Feb 07, 2020

When the old lady just let the thing crawl up her cane and bite her, I had enough of this movie.

• Oct 31, 2019

Nothing truly amazing about this horror film except that it's pretty disturbing and a notable early effort from the legendary Cronenberg

• Sep 01, 2019

Clasico de horrror tetentero... Bajo presupuesto pero historia original

Clasico de horrror tetentero... Bajo presupuesto pero historia original

• Jun 25, 2019

The potential in the setup of Shivers is great for a B-horror film. Implanting an organism that is designed to help people and then discovering it takes over and can even spread to others is a great idea, and could create a lot of suspense and horror. Even though the creature effects were terrible, I was willing to forgive this because it’s a low-budget film. However, the plot let me down even more than the effects. Shivers takes a turn and suddenly becomes a horribly cheap excuse for sex and nudity that completely deviates from the original concept. At this point, the doctor who seemed to be a smart and unfortunate victim of his own hubris, turns out to just be a psycho with a ludicrous idea. It even removes all motivations behind the opening scene, because there’s no reason for him to regret anything because his experiment works. Also, around this same time, the role of protagonist shifts to Paul Hampton and he is an atrocious actor. People are dying around him, and he looks slightly puzzled at worst. Most of the time he has a blank look on his face as if he does not comprehend anything that is happening around him. I was more annoyed with this film than entertained because I thought it had a promising start and then it totally backed out of that in order to titillate. With movies like Shivers in his early career, it’s a surprise Cronenberg ever became a famous director.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jun 18, 2019

David Cronenberg's first feature film riffs on George Romero's zombie pastiche as social commentary, only taking it in a personal direction, in this horror film about one of those super-deluxe apartment complexes wherein security measures actually work to trap people inside when an emergency arises. Low budget? You bet. Overtly salacious? C'mon, you know it. Disturbing? Hoo boy! This is one of those cinema-as-a-survival-exercise works = can you make it through the thing without upchucking yer dinner? Yah, it's fun.

• May 12, 2019

Cronenberg's social zombies wont stop until they get your skin. An interesting look into the aftermath of the sexual revolution and the growing age of technological advancement. This is a movie with a slow build-up. As a horror movie fan, I found myself wishing there were more scenes that showcased the parasitic effect, however you cannot overlook the social and historical impressions this film has made.

• Mar 16, 2019

okay... first of all, the minute that slug popped out that tub drain, that water would've started swirling & she should've been like "that's weird. i'm the only one in this bathtub. what's going on." & then would've seen it & jumped out. secondly -- if you've got a slug slithering up your vag you'd probably try to grab it/stop it instead of just throwing your hands in the air & barely scream. LOL. i love old movies. absolute nonsense. this probably was an ok film back in the day but it's pretty awful now, lol.

• Nov 30, 2018

Awesome cult classic, graphic and gruesome.

Awesome cult classic, graphic and gruesome.

• Nov 15, 2018

This was a very trippy horror. Body horror isn't usually my thing so I wasn't as excited as normal, but still it came across as a good movie worthy of 3*. The blood effects, as usual, were crappy for the 70s movie. But the special effects team did a marvellous job as the effects nearly blew me away for that time period. Way ahead of its time. Another reason it was so different was its use of sexual interaction to spread the virus. Once infected, you have an irresistible urge to have sex with someone else.

• Sep 17, 2017