The Thing from Another World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing from Another World Reviews

½ December 5, 2016
Far superior to the remake. A fantastic sci-fi classic. A delight to have finally seen it. Amazing action & suspense. Great story & build-up. I love the whole claustrophobic feel. The cold, distant, isolated setting really adds to the intensity & the pressure of it. Reminiscient of The Shining in this way. I was hesitant to watch it at first due to the bland, uniform setting. Little did I know that it would actually be a primary strength of the film.
The captain was great. The initial reveal of the creature was actually pretty intense. The confrontation with it in the room seemed like an extraordinarily dangerous scene to film. Yet it looked good.
The final confrontation with it was legitimately worrisome.
The ending of the emotional, liberal, alien-sympathizer meeting his blood-feeding friend weaponless in a final act of diplomacy & understanding was cathartic. Though it would've been infinitely more dramatic if he ended up killed by his would-be friend he was playing hero to.
And if he was to survive, he should've at least enunciated some moral realization. Maybe he's being given some credit for at least a 'brave' attempt at making peace (though it seems the murders of colleagues might've given him some hint as to the viability of that conviction). Maybe it's assumed that he will due to his obvious understanding of a need for recovery from suffering terrible wounds & mental fatigue all throughout. But the fact that he didn't, and in fact was given CREDIT in their victory (which he was opposed to) is the one major flaw in this film.
This movie is the anti-Avatar. Humans are good guys, aliens are bad. Alien-sympathizers are dangerous accomplices, not heroes.

Rant/Social Commentary: I continue to be amazed at the consistency of the 'misanthropic, morally superior, condescending, stoic scientist' in even older films. And yet always the assumption of benevolency on the part of the 'wiser' aliens. The misunderstood supermen only require the communication of scientists, & it will see there is no more need for bloodshed. Yet the military rightly understands that the life of a human is not worth the knowledge that the alien can provide. The man of science cannot see this past his own self-obsessed pursuits (who would in no way sacrifice his OWN life for the attainment of this knowledge for the 'betterment' of mankind). Even after numerous killings, he deems it 'harmless'. The only crimes are those committed against it, believes the scientist. Aligning himself with the foreigner, in opposition to his own people & culture (in this case, the military), and their safety & security. A wonderful analogy for the leftist/communist symapthizer, for which these creatures were likely a metaphor. Present then & present now. Those pointing out the threat are deemed fear-mongers while the lives continue to fall one by one.
Contrary to some critics, this is not about a "conflict between between Force and Reason." That is a false dichotomy.
And this very mindset that inaction against a violent entity is reason (the same that the scientist adheres to) proves itself to be absurd in this very film. Reason is not divorced from force. Reason dictates that when a being feeds off of the blood of a host organism and will stop at nothing to attain its nourishment, it is threatening! But of course, killing & feeding off of mulitiple bodies is not enough to persuade some that intentions are anything but benign.
This is the same mentality that some have had toward the Soviet communists after watching Stalin massacre more people than perhaps any other in history.
While the scientist claims that knowledge is more important than life, there IS no knowledge without life. We owe it to our species to die so that greater knowledge can survive, he says. Yet what is the virtue in more & more people dying, until the whole world dies only so that this source of wisdom can remain well fed? Folly. I kept hoping he was next to be killed so that he could have his wish & wisdom could remain.
In addition to this, there's the annoying journalist who thinks HIS story (and, of course, the recognition it would bring him) are more important than anything -- regardless of the safety of other humans. For example, when the group is told that two men are dead & hanging upside down, he shouts out, "Wait for me!... I wanna get a picture!" Enough said. These are generally the characters I like to see bite it most.
Unfortunately, in 21st century movies (cf. Avatar), the result is very different. The mentality of the scientist is exactly the same. But his presentation as moral compass is much different. The foreign entity & the wiser-than-thou scientists unite to turn against & defeat the stated oppressor -- the military. The sympathizer is not shown to be treacherous, naive, self-serving, or dangerous anymore. Rather now, the scientist who deemed his own people as the true criminals is justified & his betrayal is portrayed as righteous. And the violent reactions of the aliens as always adequately proportionate, no matter how violent. This says something to me about a devastating change of culture 50-some odd years later.
(Granted, the circumstances were different in that the Navi were less violent than veggie man, and it was on THEIR planet, But one is hardly pressed to believe that the portrayed scientific elite would've seen things on earth with a more violent species much differently. I think the portrayal of us an invaders was intentional to get this point across that WE can be seen as violent, evil aliens too.)

Additional Observations: That said, if the intention was to portray these characters as so annoying, then the actors must be given some credit.
I also found the female lead quite annoying.
I love how the whole premise is that it's not hard to understand an immortal vegetable man if you buy the idea that worms becoming humans eventually is a great explanation of our being here. lol. Well, since I don't, then it makes it a little more difficult to accept the vegetable man.
I also love that in preparing to confront it, they believe the less light the better. Really, it's simply a way of saying "let's make this scene scarier!" I accept it.
November 2, 2016
Well made and compelling for a low budget flick.
½ October 26, 2016
It's not really tense until the last fifteen minutes, but it's still a decent enough alien invasion movie, and if not for it, we wouldn't have one of the greatest horror movies ever.
½ October 8, 2016
The early thriller from master producer Howard Hawks that launched 2 sequels including the early 1980's film The Thing staring Kurt Russell.

The film starts with scientists in Alaska that are concerned about a recent meteor hit. Quickly they identify an alien presence but have no idea of its power.

The film isn't the best made or acted but is rich in concept & you can see why many sequels followed. A great UFO Era classic, that's sums up the era very well.
September 22, 2016
The Thing from Another World does have a very clichéd doctor character plus the horror elements should have been much more emphasized, but this is still a pretty good sci-fi film with excellent technical aspects, intriguing location, interesting alien choices and a superb second half. It isn't as great as the remake, but it's still a good film in its own right.
June 9, 2016
A lot more lighter compared to John Carpenter's version, this film set the tone for innumerable alien invasion movies in the following decades.
April 29, 2016
Well acted, surprisingly well paced, and featuring some great effects for 1951. The Thing From Another World is easily recommendable and fun.
February 22, 2016
A lack of convincing special effects - borne from the age of the film - more than make up for a thoroughly unearthly and entertaining production.
January 11, 2016
Contrary to most other people's feelings, I didn't like this film. I had the pleasure and enjoyment to be in a position to view all 3 films, one after another. And as a result, I did. Now, I have never read the book that the film is based on, but I read editorials about these films and how closely one film or another relates to the book. The book titled "Who Goes There?" is basically about an outer world being landing on the planet killing off a remote settlement team in Antarctica by transforming and taking the place of anybody and can do so multiple times at the same time.

There will be of course more to the book than that, including characters, setting and plot nuances. But the film or films that follow the story more closely are the 82 film and it's 11 prequel. That's not to say this is a bad film or so because they chose to loosely follow the story. No, not at all. The film plays into the era in which it is film. The year is 1952 and there is peace and prosperity during the roaring era following the 2nd World War.

Instead of Antarctica, we have Alaska. Instead of a crazy being from outer space cloning and killing folks, we still have an out of world being, but more of which is a seemingly indestructible monster. Okay, it's different. Okay, it's a slasher sort-of before the genre ever came to be. But it's a generally annoying clueless monster that just makes grunting noises and goes on a killing spree.

The film contains way too much dialogue and becomes very monotonous and very boring, very quickly. Eventually, it's like come on....is anything ever going to happen? The film strangely enough doesn't even with the taking care of the monster, but still continues a little longer. The last 15 minutes of the film are the best scenes in the entire film. The monster creature looked like some cross between the Frankenstein monster and the people from The Hills Have Eyes. I wasn't impressed and as a result, this is easily the worst of the 3 films.
½ November 28, 2015
The Thing From Another World: This 1951 B-movie, about a research team in the Arctic that stumbles upon a UFO and its alien pilot, is THE predecessor for all alien monster movies. Although hokey by modern standards, it maintains a decent level of suspense and terror, thanks to good pacing, clever dialogue and a kickass score. A
November 5, 2015
It can't touch the 80's version, but it's still worth watching.
August 2, 2015
Disappointing... stick with the 82' remake. As this one is slow, dull and stretched out. The Thing only has a minute of screen time which is unsatisfying
July 27, 2015
I had no idea that there was a movie adaptation of this novella that predates the 1982 version; it was interesting to see the 50's take on the tale. It isn't as arresting or memorable, but the story is still very creepy and effective.
July 19, 2015
The Thing From Another World. It's not very scary (James Arness really does look like a Carrot-Man whenever he appears), and in the last reel the scientist character gets to become cliche and over-the-top. But up until then it has a lot of really strong character building and the over-lapping dialog Hawks was known for in his films makes the situation realistic and compelling - I also liked how characters tried to use *logic* in this situation. After so many horror/science fiction movies where characters act dumb and unreasonable, it was nice to see something where people talked out things and it was actually interesting too; a lot of credit I give too to Lederer's script (with assist from Faulker?!) which even gives little moments like that between the Captain and the one gal at the station, Nikki, some nice dialog where we actually feel these are people in this situation. I do still prefer Carpenter's 1982 version just for how it's a perfect horror film, but the Hawks production hasn't aged as badly as I had thought it might; for those who don't like long stretches of dialog it might seem boring but, honestly, it really is more interesting than it had any right to be. A near-classic.
½ June 21, 2015
A terribly boring & stupid Thing.
½ April 24, 2015
A clever movie that it's much more action packed and compelling than you would think a '50s B movie would be. 90/100
½ April 13, 2015
Not brilliant as at times the script is not very good and the acting and plotting is pretty bad at times this might be because of the static direction which like most films of this genre are similar, but saying that it has a certain element of horror and the Thing looks great shame we don't get to see more of him.
February 9, 2015
This seemed like a good time to get back into the whole Movie Shame Monday project, so I gave this one a spin as part of an afternoon filled with the remakes/sequels/etc., and it was a decent enough watch, though I don't know how often I would return to it.

Rental.
½ January 24, 2015
This film still holds up to this day. It's perfect in almost every spot from the great black-and-white to the good dialogue. This is definitely Howard Hawk's best horror science fiction film ever. Also, the North pole really sets the mood for what your watching. Recommended.
½ January 2, 2015
Bien qu'extrêmement dépassé et aujourd'hui beaucoup plus drôle qu'effrayant, La Chose d'un autre monde est un film plutôt divertissant en dépit d'un premier acte particulièrement lent. C'est grâce à Christian Nyby et à son scénariste Charles Lederer qui posent bien ses personnages et permettent à l'ensemble de garder une bonne humeur communicative, même pour un film d'horreur. Si le design de la Bête fait plus penser à Frankenstein qu'autre chose, on se surprend à sursauter une ou deux fois, grâce à deux jump scares plutôt bien placés. Quant à la musique de Dimitri Tiomkin, elle est parfaite.