The Thing from Another World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing from Another World Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
The early thriller from master producer Howard Hawks that launched 2 sequels including the early 1980's film The Thing staring Kurt Russell.

The film starts with scientists in Alaska that are concerned about a recent meteor hit. Quickly they identify an alien presence but have no idea of its power.

The film isn't the best made or acted but is rich in concept & you can see why many sequels followed. A great UFO Era classic, that's sums up the era very well.
September 22, 2016
The Thing from Another World does have a very clichéd doctor character plus the horror elements should have been much more emphasized, but this is still a pretty good sci-fi film with excellent technical aspects, intriguing location, interesting alien choices and a superb second half. It isn't as great as the remake, but it's still a good film in its own right.
June 9, 2016
A lot more lighter compared to John Carpenter's version, this film set the tone for innumerable alien invasion movies in the following decades.
April 29, 2016
Well acted, surprisingly well paced, and featuring some great effects for 1951. The Thing From Another World is easily recommendable and fun.
February 22, 2016
A lack of convincing special effects - borne from the age of the film - more than make up for a thoroughly unearthly and entertaining production.
January 11, 2016
Contrary to most other people's feelings, I didn't like this film. I had the pleasure and enjoyment to be in a position to view all 3 films, one after another. And as a result, I did. Now, I have never read the book that the film is based on, but I read editorials about these films and how closely one film or another relates to the book. The book titled "Who Goes There?" is basically about an outer world being landing on the planet killing off a remote settlement team in Antarctica by transforming and taking the place of anybody and can do so multiple times at the same time.

There will be of course more to the book than that, including characters, setting and plot nuances. But the film or films that follow the story more closely are the 82 film and it's 11 prequel. That's not to say this is a bad film or so because they chose to loosely follow the story. No, not at all. The film plays into the era in which it is film. The year is 1952 and there is peace and prosperity during the roaring era following the 2nd World War.

Instead of Antarctica, we have Alaska. Instead of a crazy being from outer space cloning and killing folks, we still have an out of world being, but more of which is a seemingly indestructible monster. Okay, it's different. Okay, it's a slasher sort-of before the genre ever came to be. But it's a generally annoying clueless monster that just makes grunting noises and goes on a killing spree.

The film contains way too much dialogue and becomes very monotonous and very boring, very quickly. Eventually, it's like come anything ever going to happen? The film strangely enough doesn't even with the taking care of the monster, but still continues a little longer. The last 15 minutes of the film are the best scenes in the entire film. The monster creature looked like some cross between the Frankenstein monster and the people from The Hills Have Eyes. I wasn't impressed and as a result, this is easily the worst of the 3 films.
½ November 28, 2015
The Thing From Another World: This 1951 B-movie, about a research team in the Arctic that stumbles upon a UFO and its alien pilot, is THE predecessor for all alien monster movies. Although hokey by modern standards, it maintains a decent level of suspense and terror, thanks to good pacing, clever dialogue and a kickass score. A
November 5, 2015
It can't touch the 80's version, but it's still worth watching.
August 2, 2015
Disappointing... stick with the 82' remake. As this one is slow, dull and stretched out. The Thing only has a minute of screen time which is unsatisfying
July 27, 2015
I had no idea that there was a movie adaptation of this novella that predates the 1982 version; it was interesting to see the 50's take on the tale. It isn't as arresting or memorable, but the story is still very creepy and effective.
July 19, 2015
The Thing From Another World. It's not very scary (James Arness really does look like a Carrot-Man whenever he appears), and in the last reel the scientist character gets to become cliche and over-the-top. But up until then it has a lot of really strong character building and the over-lapping dialog Hawks was known for in his films makes the situation realistic and compelling - I also liked how characters tried to use *logic* in this situation. After so many horror/science fiction movies where characters act dumb and unreasonable, it was nice to see something where people talked out things and it was actually interesting too; a lot of credit I give too to Lederer's script (with assist from Faulker?!) which even gives little moments like that between the Captain and the one gal at the station, Nikki, some nice dialog where we actually feel these are people in this situation. I do still prefer Carpenter's 1982 version just for how it's a perfect horror film, but the Hawks production hasn't aged as badly as I had thought it might; for those who don't like long stretches of dialog it might seem boring but, honestly, it really is more interesting than it had any right to be. A near-classic.
½ June 21, 2015
A terribly boring & stupid Thing.
½ April 24, 2015
A clever movie that it's much more action packed and compelling than you would think a '50s B movie would be. 90/100
½ April 13, 2015
Not brilliant as at times the script is not very good and the acting and plotting is pretty bad at times this might be because of the static direction which like most films of this genre are similar, but saying that it has a certain element of horror and the Thing looks great shame we don't get to see more of him.
February 9, 2015
This seemed like a good time to get back into the whole Movie Shame Monday project, so I gave this one a spin as part of an afternoon filled with the remakes/sequels/etc., and it was a decent enough watch, though I don't know how often I would return to it.

½ January 24, 2015
This film still holds up to this day. It's perfect in almost every spot from the great black-and-white to the good dialogue. This is definitely Howard Hawk's best horror science fiction film ever. Also, the North pole really sets the mood for what your watching. Recommended.
½ January 2, 2015
Bien qu'extrêmement dépassé et aujourd'hui beaucoup plus drôle qu'effrayant, La Chose d'un autre monde est un film plutôt divertissant en dépit d'un premier acte particulièrement lent. C'est grâce à Christian Nyby et à son scénariste Charles Lederer qui posent bien ses personnages et permettent à l'ensemble de garder une bonne humeur communicative, même pour un film d'horreur. Si le design de la Bête fait plus penser à Frankenstein qu'autre chose, on se surprend à sursauter une ou deux fois, grâce à deux jump scares plutôt bien placés. Quant à la musique de Dimitri Tiomkin, elle est parfaite.
½ December 14, 2014
I don't care what anyone says, this isn't as good as the superior 1982 John Carpenter remake. The passing decades have watered down any, if not all terror this may have once had resulting in a movie that simply cannot be considered scary anymore. But like all decent movies there's still stuff here enjoy, like the Frankenstein likened monster (even if the grotesque shapeless monster in the remake is far better), the still impressive fire based action set pieces, and the good production values that make this feel at least a little like it was actually shot in the Arctic. This is one of the stronger 50's sci-fi movies, but like everything, it has gotten old.
½ November 24, 2014
John Carpenter did a much better job and creating tension and a greater horror with the remake. This is a very wordy alien movie with little screen time for it, and perhaps too many men in suits given the Arctic location it's set in.