The Thing from Another World Reviews

• 2d ago

Like most Hawks productions, the large cast is full of quick witted, more-than-capable characters who don't so much evolve over the course of the film as they do respond like clockwork to the events, less romantic heroes than a sociological look at scientifically minded humans at their best. While obviously this version pales in comparison to its remake, there's enough unabashed weirdness and creativity on display—my favorite line: "An intellectual carrot; the mind boggles."—to make the thing into a real treat, if not quite up to the special effects tricks of Carpenter's THING.

• Oct 05, 2019

Great sci-fy, good cast, suspenseful and fast moving.

Great sci-fy, good cast, suspenseful and fast moving.

• Aug 01, 2019

i realy want to buy it if it is not a blue-ray

i realy want to buy it if it is not a blue-ray

• Jul 24, 2019

Absolute classic, very well done.

Absolute classic, very well done.

• May 15, 2019

Best of kind in day. Still good, think Blobbo. Good score ~ Dimitri Tiomkin.

Best of kind in day. Still good, think Blobbo. Good score ~ Dimitri Tiomkin.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Mar 03, 2019

Classic horror - as dreamed for alien contact discovers not revelations for science, increased understanding and technological advancement but instead, in true 50s style, a thirst for human blood from a walking carrot (a comical riposte to veganism decades before the fact). Howard Hawks fingerprints are all over this, with sharp, intelligent writing, editing and direction raising this above the usual run-of-the-mill shock fest. And there's still time for some obligatory pointy sweater little romance before the ultimate showdown with fate. All the female cast, both of them, want to know if anyone wants coffee.

• Dec 15, 2018

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but be bored throughout most of it. I know it's deemed a classic and had a hand in inspiring a lot in cinema, but the tension is almost non-existent and the creature ends up looking silly as hell. Perhaps I've just been spoiled from too many years of watching the superior remake, that I expect too much of it. It's quaintly old fashioned, and that makes it fun for midnight-movie viewing, when that mood strikes you, but it's hard to take seriously as a film.

• Oct 28, 2018

Among the great b-movie classics of all-time. The sci-fi and horror elements here are so wonderfully confident and concise. We fully experience things that don't even occur directly on screen because of the incredible script and performances. Throw in some fantastic characters, rapid-fire dialogue, and charmingly-of-the-time effects, and you get a smart and surprisingly funny popcorn flick.

• Jul 02, 2018

A great film clouded with hints of sexism, pro-military antiscience that seems like it would have been more enjoyable before we all realized how toxic masculinity ruined Hollywood. The one part of this film that was an example of fantastic cinema making was with the discovery of the alien craft - how the group spreads out to form its shape is one of the most chilling scenes in cinema history.

• Jan 23, 2018

When you mention ‘The Thing’ most people tend to think of the 1982 John Carpenter remake- an amazing film. But I will always have a huge soft spot for the original Howard Hawks ‘The Thing From Another World’. A fantastic little film with an ensemble cast that includes Monster Hunter extraordinaire Kenneth Tobey among with James Arness and Robert Cornthwaite. The film is remembered as being one of the first to have realistic dialogue-lines run into one another people talk at the same time and over each other as in real life. One of my favorite extraterrestrial stories. 5 stars