The Thing Reviews

• 4d ago

Very claustrophobic in a perfect setting of the cold and desolate Antarctic tundra. The mystery of who could be "the Thing" at any moment creates a suspenseful flick with outstanding practical effects to create the horrific monsters. Carpenter's best film for sure.

• Aug 01, 2019

Quite possibly the greatest scifi horror movie ever made!

Quite possibly the greatest scifi horror movie ever made!

• Jul 31, 2019

For me, there's good and bad about this movie. The horror scenes and gore are very well made. I hands down prefer this to the CGI in more recent movies. I didn't appreciate the rest quite as much though... Forgettable Characters, some douchebaggy main character who wears out of all things a thin leather coat and no hat outside, in *Antarctica*. At some point in the movie, they say they have to wait for spring, which means it's winter. None of them have any clothes adapted for going outside in that kind of temperature. If it was reality, they all would have died about 15 times from hypothermia. It's like "Look at my face, I'm Kurt Russel. If it was completely covered as it should have been, you wouldn't see my pretty face so I'm going out at -60 Celsius with no hat and a leather coat 'cause I'm badass, man". For me, the whole going out with barely anything to protect themselves thing kind of ruined the movie. Russel even put on some cowboy hat at some point. Who the hell would wear that in Antarctica? Some american who doesn't know what a real winter is. One thing I didn't expect from the movie was a black guy to survive until the end. They usually always die first. I'll give this a 3. The gore scenes are the movie's saving grace.

• Jul 29, 2019

I loved how you dont know if he is a thing or not at the end

I loved how you dont know if he is a thing or not at the end

• Jul 20, 2019

One of the best sci-fi horror films of all time.

One of the best sci-fi horror films of all time.

• Jul 14, 2019

John carpenter in his prime and Sci/Fi horror at its best. Beautifully shot, excellently paced, powerful performances, and the most thrilling and fun practical effects ever devised. The way the crews chemistry goes from a trusted family like setting quickly devolving into a paranoia drenched nightmare is as scary as the thing itself The way each character plays off each other and reacts to the situation is all understandable and you never get that, "why would you do that" sensation that most horror movies are drenched with. The file Carries all the suspense and tension of the original Alien film with far better pacing, going from curiously fascinating to horrifyingly exciting. A must experience film even if you don't care for the genre.

• Jul 06, 2019

Absolutely a masterpiece! This movie can be viewed anytime of the year! The title sounds like a B movie which the black and white thing was! However the 1982 version is a classic as John Carpenter cares more about the source material,rather than plant monsters or whatever James Arness was! Overall it’s a great monster movie for Halloween and anytime of the year!

• Jul 05, 2019

John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my favorite horror films, as well as one of my favorite films of all time. The director's script really plays with your mind like a puzzle, you're constantly wondering who is to be trusted and who's not. The Thing is a horror movie, but it's just a genre film, it also really great suspense thriller that plays and messes with you. A+

• Jun 25, 2019

if you don't like this movie you should absolutely not be working as a film critic.

• Jun 17, 2019

Timeless classic, the best horror film ever made imo.

Timeless classic, the best horror film ever made imo.