Three Amigos! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Amigos! Reviews

April 2, 2015
They don't make films like this anymore. It's just a silly film film with cheesy gags but I like it. I used to watch it as kid and I've re watched it recently and it's still entertaining. The cast are all fantastic which elevates it a lot.
March 22, 2015
If this movie was from Orion/HBO, then I would consider it as an awesome TV Movie.
March 21, 2015
Hit and miss comedy about 3 out of work actors hired to take on a bandit and his gang
½ March 19, 2015
I was surprised at how stupid it was.
March 19, 2015
Nothing revolutionary. Just good '80s fun. The love interest is amazing!
½ March 8, 2015
A simple funny movie...that was funnier when I was younger and a younger and simpler time.
March 6, 2015
Classic Comedy, one of the old few best films made with the talented actors who you hope to see more of
½ January 10, 2015
I did laugh a few times during this, but ultimately, the laughs did not come as often as I was hoping for. I love the cast, but they were not always used to the best of their ability. A bit too long for what it was.
½ December 31, 2014
Silly but entertaining comedy. I remember liking this when it first came out, but kind of expecting more from it considering the talent involved. Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short are silent film stars, The Three Amigos, who get fired by their studio, but they then get a job offer to work in Mexico. However, a village mistakenly thinks the three are really the hero they've seen onscreen and want them to fight a local bandit and the Amigos think it's just an acting job. It's a silly and improbably set-up, but tonally it works with the rest of the film's ridiculous humor that involves singing bushes, a villain named "The Handsome" and unexpected musical numbers. There's a strong supporting cast that includes Tony Plana, Brian Thompson and Alfonso Arau as El Guapo. There's also bit parts for Jon Lovitz, Joe Mantegna and Phil Hartman. I was also surprised at how quotable this film was and how many lines I remembered (though repeated viewings of this film at the video store may have burned it into my memory).

"You dirt-eating piece of slime! You scum-sucking pig! You son of a motherless goat!"

"Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"

and my favorite...

"In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!"

The film was written by Steve Martin, Lorne Michaels and Randy Newman. This is Randy Newman's only screenwriting credit, so I wonder what he contributed besides the silly songs. I was also surprised to see Lorne Michaels name since I'd always thought of him as a producer and primarily just being the guy who runs SNL, but his filmography as a writer actually goes back to writing for "The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show." John Landis bailey directs the film and Elmer Bernstein provides a rousing wester score (he also scored "The Magnificent Seven" which this film is largely a parody of). Overall, this is a fun lightweight, though not classic, comedy.
½ December 14, 2014
Interchangeably funny and boring, the Three Amigos finds its way by the end with it's amusing side characters, but too often sacrifices humor for cheesiness.
½ November 20, 2014
Always a good show, not perfect by any means, but some unforgettable one liners and well crafted scenes. I can still sing "my little buttercup" on demand, that's how catchy it is. Martin, Chase and Short play off each other well.
½ November 2, 2014
One of my favourite movies growing up. Lost count of how many times I watch it on VHS. Watched it twice recently after going at least 10 years without seeing it and its lost none of its charm. Still a classic. 8/10
October 24, 2014
It's one of my favorite comedies. A
September 22, 2014
Could be the funniest movie of all time.
September 13, 2014
The overall movie I'd give a 2 1/2 out of 5, but the extra half was for the exceptional amount of funny material. Some of the movie felt a little of a drag, but it was pretty decent as a whole. The first funny part in the intro (the very long note hold) was easily one of the funniest. A movie about three not-so-smart actors who end up becoming heroes. The story did somewhat feel like a pretty classic comedy in a sense. I probably wouldn't be willing to see this movie again any time soon, but it was fairly entertaining enough. It was also neat to see three of the most famous actors at the time together in a flick like this. Okay movie overall.
August 26, 2014
This movie was made for me. I laugh every time I watch this. I will watch it right now. I have seen it a thousand times and I am ready to watch it again.
½ August 15, 2014
"Three Amigos" is an entertaining comedy starring three good comedians. It has a funny premise and plenty of laughs. It may not really be the best comedy or movie in the world, but I think it does have plenty to offer people who like comedies with some style from the 1980s.
August 12, 2014
(First viewing - 8/19/2008)
June 24, 2014
I did not like this movie!
½ June 13, 2014
Comedy early 20century-set Western (Mexican?), in which 3 silent movie bandit fighter stars are mistaken for the real thing by the inhabitants of a Mexican village, and accept an invitation to said village thinking they are going to put on a show (but in reality to fight some 'real' bandits)

Good-natures and funny enough ('you shot the invisible swordsman!'), but not what I would term an A-list comedy: B+, maybe?