Three Amigos! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Amigos! Reviews

½ May 10, 2016
Funny, honest, and stands the test of time. Three Amigos created a standard for comedy that wasn't quite appreciated in its time.
April 1, 2016
i have seen this movie so many times and it still kills me
½ February 11, 2016
"Three Amigos" is to silent westerns what "Galaxy Quest" is to "Star Trek". It's a wonderfully silly (asking the bush that's singing if it's The Singing Bush) bit of inspired stupidity (singing horses) that, while too long, is mostly just plain hilarious (standing still so enemies won't see them).
November 27, 2015
One of the classics. very funny
November 22, 2015
I remember watching this as a kid, and I remember it being SO hilarious. I watched it a couple of weeks ago, and though I still thought there were some kind of funny moments, it mostly came across as cheesy to me.
November 2, 2015
They should have called this movie "Three Kings" because Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short are practically knights at the round table of comedy as they should be. Some amazing gags in this movie. Very happy to have picked this up on Blu Ray. Go back and watch it again if it's been awhile. You won't be disappointed.
½ September 20, 2015
"Three Amigos" tries the wrong way to be a movie for both kids and adults. Instead of possessing jokes that are appealing to those both young and old, the movie is half-filled with inanely goofy gags for kids and half-filled with relatively intelligent jokes for adults. It's a bit of a mess, but a somewhat charming one at that.
½ September 20, 2015
Yes it could have been better but it's still awesome. Three of the 80s biggest comedic stars come together to shine in this movie. My Little Buttercup has to be one of the funniest scenes in movie history.
August 20, 2015
It's a fun 80's flick.
½ July 13, 2015
Great, classic quotes throughout the movie. Everything from...the singing bush, the sweater as a gift in the middle of the desert, and target practice with
Paco!
April 23, 2015
This movie just works and the three main actors are just hilarious. It's not one of those haha funny films but if you pay attention to the film then you'll find the laughs. Some of the film drags but the three main actors keep the movie interesting and entertaining to watch. Watch it and see for yourself
April 2, 2015
They don't make films like this anymore. It's just a silly film film with cheesy gags but I like it. I used to watch it as kid and I've re watched it recently and it's still entertaining. The cast are all fantastic which elevates it a lot.
March 22, 2015
If this movie was from Orion/HBO, then I would consider it as an awesome TV Movie.
March 21, 2015
Hit and miss comedy about 3 out of work actors hired to take on a bandit and his gang
½ March 19, 2015
I was surprised at how stupid it was.
March 19, 2015
Nothing revolutionary. Just good '80s fun. The love interest is amazing!
½ March 8, 2015
A simple funny movie...that was funnier when I was younger and simpler...in a younger and simpler time.
March 6, 2015
Classic Comedy, one of the old few best films made with the talented actors who you hope to see more of
½ January 10, 2015
I did laugh a few times during this, but ultimately, the laughs did not come as often as I was hoping for. I love the cast, but they were not always used to the best of their ability. A bit too long for what it was.
½ December 31, 2014
Silly but entertaining comedy. I remember liking this when it first came out, but kind of expecting more from it considering the talent involved. Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short are silent film stars, The Three Amigos, who get fired by their studio, but they then get a job offer to work in Mexico. However, a village mistakenly thinks the three are really the hero they've seen onscreen and want them to fight a local bandit and the Amigos think it's just an acting job. It's a silly and improbably set-up, but tonally it works with the rest of the film's ridiculous humor that involves singing bushes, a villain named "The Handsome" and unexpected musical numbers. There's a strong supporting cast that includes Tony Plana, Brian Thompson and Alfonso Arau as El Guapo. There's also bit parts for Jon Lovitz, Joe Mantegna and Phil Hartman. I was also surprised at how quotable this film was and how many lines I remembered (though repeated viewings of this film at the video store may have burned it into my memory).

"You dirt-eating piece of slime! You scum-sucking pig! You son of a motherless goat!"

"Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"

and my favorite...

"In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!"

The film was written by Steve Martin, Lorne Michaels and Randy Newman. This is Randy Newman's only screenwriting credit, so I wonder what he contributed besides the silly songs. I was also surprised to see Lorne Michaels name since I'd always thought of him as a producer and primarily just being the guy who runs SNL, but his filmography as a writer actually goes back to writing for "The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show." John Landis bailey directs the film and Elmer Bernstein provides a rousing wester score (he also scored "The Magnificent Seven" which this film is largely a parody of). Overall, this is a fun lightweight, though not classic, comedy.