tom thumb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

tom thumb Reviews

½ May 1, 2016
Cheesy and tacky. An extra half star for Peter sellars and one more for some of the special effects.
January 25, 2015
An enjoyable fairy tale telling, all done on the sound stage, but this is certainly part of its aged charm. The animated parts are probably the films best.
December 27, 2014
A children's film from the 1950s, that has aged very well.
November 26, 2014
gr8 direction by EFX master george pal make this 1 go
September 13, 2012
The talented RUSS TAMBLYN does a superb job of singing, dancing and acting while playing the title role of the miniature boy presented as a gift to a woodsman and his wife by a woodland spirit. They treat him as their own son and the film revolves around his misadventures after his parents are wrongly accused of a crime and he must find the real culprits (TERRY-THOMAS and PETER SELLERS) in time for a happy ending.

The trick photography is marvelous, the toys that come to life are inventive and fun, the interaction between Tom and all the other townspeople is well done--and this was all before the CGI effects we have today.

There's a lot of charm to several musical numbers, especially one called "Yawning Man," and all of the song-and-dance numbers are done in rollicking style. Songstress Peggy Lee wrote several clever songs.

Well worth watching, a family film that can be enjoyed by adults or children. Tamblyn's talents are given full reign in this one.
½ June 5, 2012
A Big Hand for the Little Man--Wonderful Fantasy!!
½ January 16, 2012
Fun story. Love to watch Russ Tamblyn dance
November 20, 2011
i know its old and is old school but may a clean up is nice
xxdebxx
November 3, 2011
"Make way for the town lasher"
A rich, vibrant musical fantasy based on the Brothers Grimm`s fairy tale that is delightfully fun to watch. Russ Tamblyn plays the diminutive boy Tom who comes to liven up the days of a childless middle-aged couple, a woodcutter and his wife who are granted three wishes by a very beautiful blonde fairy, the Forest Queen (June Thorburn). But then a pair of dastardly villains (played by Terry-Thomas and Peter Sellers) use the boy to steal some gold coins and his foster parents is accused of the theft. Now it`s up Tom Thumb has to save the day by exposing the real thieves. There is also a romantic subplot involving a local musician (Alan Young) who is in love with the immortal Forest Queen and doesn't realize that he can turn her into a mortal via a kiss.

A terrific movie for kids to see! As for the adults, it is sure to appeal to the inner child in each of us! The Yawning man/song almost put me to sleep as well.....almost lol!
½ September 14, 2011
A big production of a small character, this fun musical fantasy based on the Grimms fairy tale. Great visual effects!
April 29, 2011
Peter Sellers? Hmmm.
September 24, 2009
This movie deservedly won the Oscar for its Special Effects. Russ Tamblyn was well-cast as Tom. The romantic sub-plot is superfluous and Terry-Thomas and Peter Sellers all but steal the movie as a bumbling pair of thieves. Funny enjoyable puffball of a movie. Well worth watching for the effects and Sellers and Thomas.
½ September 16, 2009
GREAT FAMILY FILM! An oldie but a goodie.....This film is perfect for the whole family. Russ Tamblyn (relation to Amber?) is as good a dancer as it gets, although not the most believable playing this little boy in the world. Terry Thomas and Peter Sellers steal this film (but you would expect that!) as cartoon-like villains, coercing young Tom into theivery on their behalf. The mayhem to follow is funny, exciting and memorable. I don't have children, but was able to remember being one myself watching this very enjoyable film
½ August 31, 2009
Peter Sellers and the fantastic Terry Thomas as the two inept villains, what more could you possibly ask for! A total treat for the family!!!
½ July 3, 2009
absolutely love this film....watched it recentally, and its looking real old now but still every time i watch it, it makes me happy :)
May 9, 2009

Liloh
May 6, 2009
EYYY DUH, GOD DAMMIT I FOUND IT, I FOUND MY FAV CHILDHOOD MOVIE!!!
This Movie is timeless. I have seen this Movie like ...hm dammit so many times.
Really Awesome Movie. One of the Movies I would never ever forget from my Childhood and the Fun I had watching it. OH HOW LIlo loved this Movie, It brings back memories!
February 5, 2009
My favorite childhood movie ,i watched it like 27/7 and never get bored.
January 20, 2009
I remember loving it as a child, esp. the dancing shoes!