Tommy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tommy Reviews

September 8, 2014
It gets points for totally uninhibited visuals, but there's no substance and the music is awful.
June 7, 2014
As mentioned in a previous review, Ken Russell is without a doubt a visual master genius. Giving his films a flare and eye burning imagery that forces itself upon you, leaving you no option but to be drawn towards its lush and colourful power.Tommy is no exception, in the classic we see the story of Tommy, a deaf, blind and dumb child, who loses a father in world war 2. After a horrendous upbringing at the hands of his mother and step father Ann Margret and Olly Reed, Tommy goes on to become a pin ball champion, before being cured of his ailments and attempting to start a religious movement. Its visually impactful with subtext and imagery laid on thick and fast in this no holds barred musical. Firstly the actors and appearances are all picked to perfection. Tommy played by The Who's Roger Daultry is thunderous, much like his on screen parents Oliver Reed and Ann Margret who chew mercilessly at the screen until you face bleeds, its quite an experience. Tina Turner shows up in my most memorable scene of the entire affair as a hooker, drug abuser, "The Acid Queen", this entire musical number is fuelled by her envigorating performance and Ken's wild and bold vision, its hair raising stuff but because its delivered in such a fun and balls out fashion you cant help but being swept along for the ride. Eric Clapton, Elton John, Jack Nickolson, The Who and others grace the run time, from set piece to set piece. The film is wonderfully paced and crafted with zero dialogue and all musical numbers. The actors really pull the emotion of the entire piece off and the musical numbers are thunderous. The grade is gorgeous, the camera work awe inspiring and the editing is pin sharp. One of the many Ken Russell masterpieces. Miss it at your pearl.
½ May 12, 2014
The Who's translation of Tommy onto the big screen is an unfortunate flop. While weirdness and craziness are part of the appeal, it is used to the point of irrelevance.
May 6, 2014
A weird 2 straight hours of messed up quasi political noise. I really don't know why I bothered - Tinas appearance is the highlight and unfortunately is over too soon. unlike this movie.
March 19, 2014
Runs out of steam halfway through, but it's still a hell of a ride.
½ January 8, 2014
Como album, Tommy es sin lugar a dudas un referente en la música, influyente e igual de disfrutable y recomendable; la película....no tanto. Sin duda los visuales de la película son increibles, pero ni la historia fluye de manera adecuada en filme, ni las actuaciones son buenas; lo rescatable son las secuencias, algunas divertidas, otras psicodélicas y otras que rayan en lo aburrido; Ken Russell trata de darle coherencia a sus secuencias pero pierde en algún momento el hilo. Si se es fan de The Who vale la pena, si no...probablemente se encuentren con una de las películas más bizarras que en su vida hayan visto.
January 7, 2014
Ken Russell's insane adaptation of The Who's rock opera masterpiece Tommy is one of the most insane musicals to come out of the 70's and 80's, and that's saying a lot, because there were a lot of them. The Apple, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Phantom of the Paradise, just to name a few. Some of these kinds of movies were genuinely good, but some were just not good. This one is sort of fascinating in its badness, because it's not a good movie, or a good musical, per se, but it's fun to watch the madness ensue. While Quadrophenia is a much better movie than Tommy, they're both pretty different films by comparison. This one has a more notable cast though: Roger Daltrey, Ann-Margaret, Oliver Reed, Jack Nicholson, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Tina Turner, and The Who, of course. Like I said, this isn't really a good movie, but it's a fascinating movie to watch. I enjoyed it, but more by its WTF factor.
December 21, 2013
I have a soft spot for this film, but it is a truly ground-breaking cinematic moment and the most likely source of inspiration for the creation of MTV. Ann-Margret gives an unforgettable performance that perfectly matches the hyper-pace set by Ken Russell. This is truly a rock opera and your senses may very well never be the same. Classic film.
November 26, 2013
It's films like this that helped to establish the long-form music video. It predates Pink Floyd's The Wall, and it's just as good. The only reason that I give the film a 6 and not higher is that it really is better to watch this one in sections. If you try to sit through the entire thing in one go, it really starts to wear you out.
November 3, 2013
Like the tag line says "your senses will never be the same" after you see this, the way you look at movies will never be the same.
½ October 26, 2013
The best soundtracked psychedelic nightmare you never had.
October 26, 2013
I had forgotten just how good Tommy (the film) is. Ken Russell made a superb job of bringing the album to life. It helps he chose a brilliant cast and Roger Daltrey made an excellent job of transferring the Tommy character from the concert hall to celluloid.
½ October 25, 2013
Almost total ruination of a classic album.
September 12, 2013
honestly, i don't know what to think. I didn't hate it, so I guess that's something.
September 5, 2013
If a movie isn't going to talk, its story should be able to be told simply by visuals. While some of the colors and visuals were pleasing to look at, the story itself was too confusing to be told simply through song.
½ May 21, 2013
This is a crazy Pin ball wizard musical by The Who.
½ May 18, 2013
vile, disgusting, disturbing, horrible music, poor singers, pointless plotline, too many things wrong with this movie. not even Tina Turner can save this movie
½ May 17, 2013
Eric, Roger, Pete, Tina and Elton are cool performances in this a psychedelic rock opera. The film is most notable for the visuals, I am not a great fan of The Who's music. As a time capsule, Tommy is wonderful. Timeless? No. As far as I'm concerned the hidden meaning can stay hidden in Tommy, the world's longest and noisiest music video.
May 3, 2013
The Who s best work turned into a movie!
½ March 30, 2013
Good music, but I just couldn't get into the story.