Topper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Topper Reviews

January 18, 2016
Cary Grant and Constance Bennett are killed in a car accident and become ghosts. For their "good deed" (in order to get into heaven, one surmises), they decide to help an uptight old banker and his wife loosen up. Since it's the thirties, Grant and Bennett are the party all night types and the film has aspirations of screwballsiness. However, it never quite takes full flight (although the scene in the Seabreeze Hotel with Eugene Pallette as the house detective very nearly gets off the runway). Somehow, the gimmick of the ghosts being invisible holds things back (even though it is the origin of some of the funnier bits) - objects floating in the air just aren't that humorous after the first few times. But Bennett and Grant are especially good and Roland Young plays the banker as all spluttering reaction shots. Not bad but not up there with the best comedies of this era.
March 10, 2014
This laugh fest of a comedy is about a care free, fun loving couple named the kerbys. While coming home a little too fast and missing a turn they wreck and get killed and become ghost. They decide to help their stuffy uptight banker friend Mr. Topper lighten up and enjoy life. And often Topper becomes the subject of their antics. Constance Bennet and Cary Grant were amazingly funny and were perfect together. Their chemistry was great. Roland Young as Topper I think stole the show. He was simply brilliant and totally entertaining. This movie was flat out fall down funny. It even had some good effects and camera tricks for it being a 1937 release. I laughed through the whole thing. I would defiantly put this on the classics list. It's full blown entertainment at it's best.
½ February 22, 2014
Topper, a serious minded, by-the-book sort of fellow, is in danger of being trapped in the monotony of complacency when two freewheeling buds decide to loosen him up just a little. Nothing too serious, mind you, except for ... oh, but they're dead. They're ghosts.
By modern standards its hard to tell the difference much between the monotony of complacency and freewheeling depicted here, but still a grand time is had by all in this, the film that solidified Cary Grant as major star material. But this is a team effort, everyone onscreen contributing to the smiles that follow.
February 20, 2014
Topper (1937)

This is a classic Hal Roach screw-ball comedy with a huge cast of familiar character actors. It's one of my favorite Cary Grant movies, although we really don't see that much of him.

George (Grant) and Marion Kerby (Constance Bennett) are the fun-loving idle rich married couple, while stuffy, middle-aged, Cosmo Topper (Roland Young) is a stick-in-mud banker.

In a car accident George and Marion are both killed and think that they can't go to heaven without doing a good deed. They take on poor Cosmo as their project to loosen him up, despite the objections of his class-conscious wife, played by Billie Burke.

Maybe it's a mid-life crisis, or maybe it's just Cosmo Topper seeing George and Marion dying so early in their lives and him not feeling that he's having as much fun in his and his wife's life. Cosmo holds onto George and Marion's repaired V-12 Duesenburg despite being more than a handful to drive.

Once he starts seeing George and Marion in his life, he's in for even more trouble.
½ July 18, 2013
The Kirbies are a likably whacky couple for the first ten minutes, but after that there seems to be no plot and some bloody awful dialogue that just got on my nerves.
June 13, 2013
Funny, classic comedy that gets by primarily due to Grant, Bennett and Young. Roland Young especially carries the show here. Lots of fun and lots of laughs!
½ May 27, 2013
The memory is vague, but an enjoyable one.
½ April 17, 2013
it's too ordinary, i've already guest the ending already,,,
½ March 28, 2013
I was expecting the film to be funnier and I believe that the film could have been portrayed funnier. There were some things for ghost that should not be going on such as them being able to move things or eat that kind of bothered me. And if they could do all those things as ghost why didn't they just walk off and drive in their car earlier rather than wait for Mr. Topper. The film had some comedic elements but I believe that they could have been done better. Of course I'm saying this now after there has been many films and television series that have represented invisible people or ghost since the film Topper was originally released. So I have in essence been corrupted by the that which has been released after Topper and have lost my objectivity for adequately rating this film. Had they remained the film today I am curtain they would resolve those issues.

One thing that I liked in the film was the sports car that looked and sounded so cool.

One thing that I never understood were the issues for which Mr. Toppers wife found fault for in things such as the car and I never quite understood the relationship between the Toppers because they never acted like a couple that really loved each other very much. The husband seemed more into his work and never really into love each other.

The other thing why were people so quick to jump to conclusions without hearing their side of the story or finding the evidence? Why were people liking Mr. Topper once they heard about the fight in the newspaper? And why was Mr. Toppers wife so quick in jumping to believe that he was in a relationship with another woman. I never understood those social ideals in society of that day. It did not make sense to me. Those particular aspects did not translate into my mental comprehension.

I was expecting a better ending to the film. I really was expecting them to resolve with a better good deed than was presented in the film.

I liked the opening sequence of the film with The two main characters driving in the car. They were also a great singing duo. It was also hilarious seeing them sleep in the car and just park for the board meeting since they had been partying all night. It was funny seeing the reaction of the people watching them sleep in the car. How Cary Grant's character reacted in the board meeting was hilarious as well.
½ March 13, 2013
maybe back in the day this was a lot of fun to watch, but by today's standards, it's pretty tame. also one of cary grant's weaker films.
February 26, 2013
Fun comedy that begins with the death of your two attractive leads, who then spend their afterlife trying to help their stick in the mud friend Cosmo Topper to lighten up and have some fun.

Charming stuff, and Constance Bennett is a real cutie who I'm just discovering in this film.

Recommended.
½ January 2, 2013
Wonderful and witty. Grant shows the great character that we will see many more times and lights up the screen.
December 2, 2012
That's the situation and the box it came in.

Marion and George Kerby are a carefree couple that don't take life too seriously and love having fun drinking, singing, and dancing. One unfortunate day, they have a car accident and pass away. They realize shortly after passing that they haven't done too many good deeds and now as ghosts they need to get their number of good deeds up. They decide to help an aging gentleman that has a pain in the ass wife and rarely has any fun. They'll find it hard to make his life better without completely ruining it.

"I think we're dead."
"I think you're right.

Norman McLeod, director of Road to Rio, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, Alias Jesse James, Casanova's Big Night, and The Kid from Brooklyn, delivers Tropper. The storyline for this picture is okay but the script is awesome. The acting is outstanding and Cary Grant is wonderful as the main character with his charm and charisma. The cast also includes Constance Bennett, Roland Young, Billie Burke, and Alan Mowbray.

"Hey, what is this?"
"It's a dog."
"Are you trying to make a sap out of me?"
"It's too late."

This marks another film DVR'd off the great Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I am a huge Cary Grant fan and was surprised I never heard of this film. It was pretty good but not great. This is definitely an above average picture that is worth a viewing but far from my favorite Grant film.

"Make him go away."
"I can't, he's a C-O-P."
"Oh, tell him we don't want any."

Grade: B+
½ July 24, 2012
A fun supernatural comedy with more drinking and sexual comments than I expected. There's a huge connection to George and Marion Kerby today. They don't want to do anything but drink and have a good time. They are so relaxed and free living. Marion sleeps in a convertible with the top down in the middle of the city and George just leaves her there while many people ogle her. Go ahead, he figures. What's the worst that can happen? He's late to his meeting! George and Marion have money because they invested in the right places, and were probably born in money to begin with. Cosmo Topper's in charge of the company in which George has tons of stock. Cosmo and George are friendly to each other, but deep down they can't stand one another. George cracks jokes in the meeting while Cosmo's trying to get through all the information. On the way home George drives really fast and goes off the road. When he and Marion wake up they are both transparent. They find out they're dead, and the next time we see them they already know how the use their ectoplasm. I thought that was quite comedic. It's not like we need to see how everything works. We're here for the funny mishaps, not a lecture on how a person works after death. When the Kerbys die they discover how much people couldn't stand their constant party behavior. This could have become dramatic, but instead they just mess with the ones who say anything bad. The Kerbys believe that they might not have passed on into the next realm because they haven't done a single good deed their whole lives, so they decide to help Cosmo enjoy life. Cosmo's wife tells him what to eat, what time to leave, tells him not to run because it makes him breathe funny, etc. There's not a single thing that Cosmo does without his wife's permission. His wife's also very stuck up. When Cosmo buys the Kerbys' car he drives it off in the same spot and discovers the ghosts of George and Marion. The superstition is that once a car gets in a wreck then it's cursed and will get in a wreck again. Cosmo wishes he never bought the car after this happens because he can get the ghosts to leave him alone. They control his body, drive his car, and make him look like a fool. It's all very funny. George seems to just want to do this one good deed because he wants to move on, but Marion wants to do the deed because she truly cares about Topper. It seems like she's just messing with him at first, but it begins to turn serious. Or so it seems. I could argue that Marion makes George jealous on purpose and makes Topper fall in love with her just because that's the only way he would truly change and become an individual. By the end Topper realizes he loves his wife, but he also wants his freedom. It's all because he's driven to the point of actually wanting death. Once his wife wants nothing to do with him and everyone thinks he's crazy he thinks he has nothing left to live for. But they teach us that we should never end our lives early. There's too much fun in living. Be fun and carefree while also being responsible (but not too much). The film's not too worried about giving a moral, nor does it want to go into the idea of death too much. It's just a fun time with Cary Grant and Constance Bennett and the fun loving Kerbys.
½ June 1, 2012
Delightful. Special effects of the 30s surprised me.
May 26, 2012
May 23, 2012
first of 3 and by far the best
March 12, 2012
Cary Grant, Constance Bennett and Roland Young are all great in this, it is really funny and I love the scene in the hotel lobby. Priceless.
January 3, 2012
Thoroughly enjoyable and classy screwball antics! Grant and Bennett display terrific comedic timing, and their relationship with Young (who is a perfect foil for the pair) generates quite a bit of fun. It's a slight film, to be sure, with little in the way of "substance," but I found it to be very entertaining, and a fine example of mid-1930's comedy.
½ October 31, 2011
The man behind The Little Rascals decided to take a stab at adult fare by giving us the sexiest ghosts ever. Hilarious and cool.