Tough Guys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tough Guys Reviews

June 19, 2016
Old parolees get tired of life outside incarceration and decide to pull off one last heist in this mild comedy starring two Hollywood legends.
August 18, 2015
I very much liked tough guys I enjoyed kirk douglas and burt Lancaster as two prisoners who get released after 30 years are trying to coop with the 1980s I also liked eli Wallach as a hitman who has been on their trail since the 1950s
½ April 11, 2015
It's just fun to watch these two fine actors together one more time and guess what....they still can bring it.
February 10, 2015
I found myself laughing at this much more than I thought I would. While I never followed the duo's career very closely, I can certainly appreciate this encore outing.
November 29, 2014
I think it's a great film. It has awesome action packed stuff in it. It also has one of my favorite steam train locomotives in the movie, Southern Pacific No. 4449. I give this film 5 stars!
½ September 26, 2014
Tough Guys is an excellent film. It is about two elderly gangsters are released from prison only to find they have trouble fitting in as old men who still take no guff from anyone. Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas give amazing performances. The script is well written. Jeff Kanew did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the humor. Tough Guys is a must see.
June 16, 2014
I probably enjoyed this more than I should have. It solely works because of the personalities of Douglas and Lancaster. Pretty funny despite the tired old age gags. And soooooooooo 80's, my god. Eli Wallach is surprising anemic and Dana Carvey is either miscast or the character was just a bad idea.
April 29, 2014
two of the biggest Hollywood legends are united for the last time
life sucks who imagined those legendary stars that we saw them doing unforgettable heroes roles 30 and 40 years back to see them look that old
but nobody can deny the charisma that they have as duo
July 29, 2013
Two old bank robbers are paroled after years of being in jail, and find it easier if they just had stayed in jail. terrific pairing of hollywood legends Lancaster and Douglas finding out that society is not all that kind to old people and the troubles they have adapting to 80's society. Fun, good story leads to big finale on hijacked train that the guys tried to steal in the first place which got them into prison in the first place. Eli Wallach is funny as the hitman who never got the job done after 30 years.Your never too old to have a good laugh, and this one is a hoot.
May 28, 2013
Having 28 years living legends Kirk feeling like 18 again! A day like today!
May 11, 2013
funny old men even the crazy guy with the gun lol
May 10, 2013
Tough Guys directed by Jeff Kanew. Starring Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach, Charles Durning, Dana Carvey and Darlanne Fluegel.

Harry (Lancaster) and Archie (Douglas) are former olde train-robbers from 1956, imprisoned for 30 years, now out as old pals and rehabilitated to adopt more of social life and this social trend is kept on watch by probation officer as well. They suffer mistreatment from young generation of mid 80s, and it turns out that their former hang-out club has turned to be gay-club. They could hardly fit in the job they are thrust upon. Hence, they want to hit for the last time to rob a train and move to Mexico - the one they robbed 30-years ago.

Tough Guys, sheds light in comedic way upon the treatment suffered by elderly ex-cons, and how some hurdles keep them away from rehabilitating. Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster cannot be funnier than this, with Eli Wallach playing one of good minor-comedy roles (who was contracted in 1956 to kill the duo - and is still persuading to complete the contract). Good movie to spend a quality time with few guffaws.
February 24, 2013
I liked this movie growing up. A couple of old school guys having a little fun. It was fun to watch the wise cracks and the humor.
October 19, 2012
An attempt to reunite a great Hollywood team. It fails to bring the magic of these larger than life movie stars. However, it does have its short comical moments.
September 4, 2012
The Terrible Tempered Twins Ride Again--Nostalgia rules!!
½ November 6, 2011
A fun forgotten 80's classic. Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster are great as always.
½ November 6, 2011
Legendary duo Lancaster and Douglas team up again, for the last time, in this highly amusing comedy about a couple of old boy cons released and out of date in the modern world (1986). Its now of course even more amusing as 86 was along long time ago and the film has dated somewhat haha, this doesn't detract from the fun as the two leads are really magic together and play off each other perfectly, they almost look like brothers in their natty 50's suits.

The plot is pretty thin on the ground lets be frank here but the entire film is held together merely by the fantastic pairing of the two aging stars, the comedy is fair but the tough hood persona is so right for the duo. The film never gets dull for a moment as we see the guys try to live in their new world, Douglas has more of the laughs in his jobs where as Lancaster has more of the emotional side in his retirement home.

Along for this ride is Eli Wallach but to be honest his role isn't really needed and seems a bit too strong for this light hearted comedy, where as Charles Durning is perfect for his usual type role of a policeman on the case, stoic springs to mind.

Some great sequences, mainly the finale with the train heist which looks great, ending is a little flat and abrupt but I can't fault this top comedy, its surprising how good the duo were at comedy like this, you wouldn't think it really. Very much along the lines of 'My Fellow Americans' which is another good old boy classic.
October 22, 2011
Not as good as I remembered, but still worth watching. This film is a bit like "Austin Powers" (although it came first), i.e. it shows how people react when the world they know has suddenly changed around them. The two lead actors do a great job, and I'd basically describe them as "classy". Watching this film 25 years after it was made, the old-fashioned stuff has actually aged better than the contemporary stuff! E.g. their suits wouldn't look out of place today, whereas the 1980s "shop assistant on TV" looks quite bizarre.
½ October 6, 2011
Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, and Dana Carvey. Need I say more?!