Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treasure Island Reviews

October 10, 2012
THE classic pirate movie
August 22, 2012
"Missing that special Disney magic."
July 26, 2012
very well done and definitely balanced for all ages
July 13, 2012
A classic adventure tale, and a very well-made Disney live-action
½ May 12, 2012
The beauty of these old films (which I watched at my grandparents as a child) is their theatricality; they have the feel of a grand stage play. Treasure Island is the real deal: adventure, excitement, and real acting, villains with nuance and even sympathy.
March 23, 2012
Pretty good even if some Stevenson's details are left aside but are perfectly rearranged to make the history run smoothly. Kids had fun. Good old style acting
March 23, 2012
The pirate just freaked me out in this classic Disney movie.
March 13, 2012
Good job Disney good job for your first live-action film
½ February 11, 2012
It really depends on your type of personality, whether you enjoy classic stories, or new adaptions of them
½ September 23, 2011
Possibly the best adventure film for kids. Newton defines screen pirates.
July 21, 2011
I know that everyone likes this but it wasnt all tht great
July 21, 2011
Don't be afraid of those village rats. Don't under estimate them either.

The British are seeking a buried treasure in the Caribbean that was left their by Captain Flint. The British take in a local orphan, Jim Hawkins, on their treasure hunt. The ship also includes several members of Captain's Flint's former crew, including the legendary John Silver. Can the British count on Hawkins and Silver to obtain the gold or will the pirate John Silver act as pirates fo and steal the gold for himself?

"By god I did have a sea cook right out of his talent."

Byron Haskins, director of Captain Sinbad, War of the Worlds (1953), Jet Over the Atlantic, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and September Storm, delivers Treasure Island. The storyline for this picture is interesting and reminded me of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean pictures. The action scenes were better than anticipated and the acting was perfect for the content. The cast includes Robert Newton, Bobby Driscoll, and Basil Sydney.

"Sweetened to sooth your taste."

I happened to come across this flick and decided to give it a shot. I have watched several classic swash buckling pictures lately so I thought this would be a nice addition to the genre. I was right. This is a very fun picture. The entire family watched and enjoyed this film. If you are a fan of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean pictures, you should see this.

"What fool has a bible?"

Grade: B
June 14, 2011
Classic Disney greatness. I loved this when I was a kid and it has actually held up really really well over time and I look forward to the day when I can show it to my kids.
April 16, 2011
before "pirates of the caribbean" disney tried its hand in pirate movies with this: treasure island. and it's enjoyable film. newton's long john silver is great and surprisingly (for a disney film) it has some gritty elements (though not graphic). i did appreciate the fact that they made long john silver a morally complex character - especially since this is a disney movie. worth watching if you're looking for some old fashioned entertainment.
March 27, 2011
This film is pretty good at giving an accurate depiction of the time period as far as the detail into the costumes and the boats of the period.

This film gives a good depiction of just how small the boat was down bellow. This film shows the kitchen differently than Iā(TM)m thinking the boat would be with a little more open and more space and not so confined.
The actor playing Long John Silver is pretty good. The voice is exactly what you would think Silver would sound like.

I would have liked the port town where the crew was found to have appeared large so that it would have looked much more extensive. Much of the town looked small and confined. It looked like the set may have only been 5 buildings at most and the rest was either model buildings or paintings.

I was surprised how much of the film focuses so much more time into getting on Treasure Island and finding the Treasure on the Island more than the actual back story of the characters. I was surprised that Jims mother was never even seen but talked about since Jim is so young in this film.

Unfortunately I am rating this film as I have seen the other remakes after this film has come out.
December 10, 2010
Fun sea-faring epic with Robert Newton chewing the scenery as Long John Silver.
October 26, 2010
This is one of my favourite old Disney movies, it's fun and exciting and such a great adventure movie. It's not just a good kids movie, adults will find this movie fun and exciting too.
½ October 6, 2010
Take away Robert Newton and you have yourself a very indulgent and at times boring Disney flick. I would say its one more for nostalgia, which i dont have seeing as this is my first watch.