The Twelve Chairs Reviews

• Aug 15, 2019

The Twelve Chairs est l'archétype du film de Mel Brooks. Ca hurle chaque réplique, Dom DeLuise joue un gros sac, Mel Brooks en fait des caisses, la musique est extrêmement ironique. Des fois, ça marche du tonnerre, comme pour Sacré Robin des Bois. Ici, sur The Twelve Chairs, ça ne marche pas vraiment. On s'ennuie ferme entre deux rires chaque demi-heure. Mel Brooks est encore loin du sommet de son art et ça se sent, il tente des choses mais mis à part un exceptionnel Frank Langella, quasiment débutant au cinéma, The Twelve Chairs peut se ranger dans le rang des films oubliables et oubliés d'un des maîtres de l'humour parodique américains.

• May 05, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Apr 28, 2018

this is a nice movie from mel brooks. its hardly gonna blow your mind though

this is a nice movie from mel brooks. its hardly gonna blow your mind though

• Apr 13, 2018

12 Chairs film Review This is a really bad Mel Brooks film as far as a comedy goes. I did not laugh at all. I would rank this one of Mel Brooks weakest films. I thought the opening credits were done in a awkward way. The only thing that looked well done were the sets, costumes, and the extras. The acting is not that great because there is inconsistencies as far as the ascents go. Some have American accents and some have poor Russian or Jewish accents. This is not a film I would recommend to anyone.

• Sep 25, 2016

A lesser known Mel Brooks movie, The Twelve Chairs can probably be put in the forgettable category. It's a fine road trip film with some great comedic performances from Ron Moody, Frank Langella, Dom Deluise, and Brooks (watching this movie made me realize what a treasure Deluise was) and some funny satire on Communism. Despite this, there's not a whole lot else to enjoy. There are quite a few stretches where nothing really happens and several jokes do fall flat. You can certainly still check it out if you're a Mel Brooks fanatic, but don't expect a masterpiece.

• Sep 17, 2016

There is a scene in THE TWELVE CHAIRS, where Dom Deluise's character is begging for our heroes to help him off a mountain. In most comedies, they would have helped him. In this one, they didn't.

• Mar 02, 2016

Not fun. Stupid EVEN for Mel Brooks. Really bad.

Not fun. Stupid EVEN for Mel Brooks. Really bad.

• Jan 24, 2016

Its amazing thing, like watching David Lynch's Elephant Man. Mel Brooks has a unique absurdist humor to him but this film just felt like a normal ordinary film. To me, I came into this film after finishing watching Young Frankenstein and though I can admit I was slightly disappointed of the lack of the Mel Brook's quirkiness (though YF did come out in 1974) it felt like I was watching a normal director. Its an interesting contrast. It makes me wonder how Mel changed from a making a bland, normal film like this to his more uniquely odd film which he has been so deservedly praised for.

• Dec 10, 2015

The Twelve Chairs is kind of the lost Mel Brooks film, one that slips off the radar screen when discussing his genius. He made it in 1970, after The Producers and four years before one of the funniest and most profane movies ever made, Blazing Saddles. It's kind of a largo movement for him, a movie with gentler humor. Like The Producers, The Twelve Chairs is a buddy movie, with one of the buddies more the devil on the shoulder of the other. However, the buddies in The Twelve Chairs are played by Ron Moody and Frank Langella, fine actors both, but a far cry from the comic geniuses playing the leads in The Producers. Contrast and compare Moody and Langella with Dom DeLuise in this movie. You can tell the difference between a dramatic actor doing comedy and a comic actor. If you're making a comedy, you need the comic actors. For Brooks, The Twelve Chairs was likely an important step in his learning how to make a movie, so that by the time he made Blazing Saddles, his ability to tell a story with images was as strong as his ability to make us laugh with jokes. To this point, after you've seen and laughed all you can at Young Frankenstein, just watch that movie as a piece of cinema. It is a visual masterpiece. Brooks cared deeply about the craft of moviemaking, and The Twelve Chairs was part of that process. It's a fine movie, but honestly, I would only recommend it to fill out your understanding of Brooks' moviemaking, rather than a bucket list movie you've absolutely got to see.

• Nov 27, 2015

Not as entertaining as some of Mel Brooks other films. Set in the period after the Bolshevik Revolution. An ex-Aristocrat discovers his family fortune was hidden in one of twelve chairs. The film is the not-so mad capped search for