Two of a Kind Reviews

chadroesti
December 10, 2008
Olivia Newton-John was one fine piece of Ace! I remember going to the movies to see this move at the theater when I was 9 or 10. Little did I know it was some romantical BS. To this day my fragile little mind recalls one line from this movie...John Travolta tells ONJ that you "Hold the Nuts while you screw". I believe this was the beginning of my sexual education. Thank god for Skinemax!
October 25, 2008
"Freeze! Rewind!" "Freeze! Fast forward!" Although I don't know if he saved them out of the kidness of his heart. I think it was for selfish reasons.
December 13, 2007
Cheesy, but I love the two of them together. Also loved the soundtack! I bought it and played it til it wore out! lol
½ May 3, 2007
Crappy 80s movie that tried to capture some of the magic Travolta and Newton-John generated during Grease. Nice try.
February 1, 2007
Cute, cheesy, 80s movie reteaming Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta. Danny Boyle did a bit of a remake of this film with his "A Life Less Orindary".
½ January 10, 2007
the music is better tahn the movie. oliver reed plays the devil. the characters arent realy deep and the plot doesnt make sense. john travolta is pretty good in this.
November 25, 2006
This an interesting take on what people can do with a second chance. Some archangels and the Devil add some silly humor to it, also.
June 8, 2006
alot of people do not like this film cause it's cheesy tongue in cheek...but i stil llove it every time it is on tv
½ June 18, 2015
Your mustache is falling off.

God has decided to destroy all humanity; however, three angels convince him that there are souls worth saving. God gives the angels a short time to prove their point. The angels are required to get a bank teller and con artist to show God proof. One day the con artist tries to rob a bank and somehow the teller ends up with the money, indirectly destroying her life. They quickly hate each other putting humanity at risk. Can the two resolve their issues and save the Earth?

"Rewind!"

John Herzfeld, director of Reach Me, 15 Minutes, 2 Days in the Valley, A Father's Revenge, The Preppie Murder, The Death and Life of Bobby Z, and Remember, delivers Two of a Kind. The storyline for this picture is miserable and very disappointing. The mixture of comedy and love story did not work. The acting is okay and the cast includes John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Charles Durning, Beatrice Straight, Oliver Reed, and Ernie Hudson.

"Don't ask me any questions. I don't have the answers."

I grabbed this off HBOGO because I had never heard of this film and thought it may be entertaining. Unfortunately, this reunion between Travolta and Newton-John didn't have the same redeeming qualities as Grease. Overall, this is a forgettable film I'd skip.

"Smile!"

Grade: D
April 11, 2015
The charisma between these two is wasted on such a drip,drip drip of a movie.
May 23, 2014
Yeah, it's a cheesy flick....but, I still watch it once a year.
½ April 24, 2009
Not good...not good at all...but we did get "Twist Of Fate" from it (!).
August 19, 2012
5/100 on Metacritic. I'm interested.
January 27, 2011
I liked this movie. It is not bad at all. It is no Xanadu but it fun. I love.
June 22, 2005
The [b]Olivia Newton-John/ John Travolta[/b] Movie Collection.

*[i]What is "movie collection": [/i]A collection of must-see movies featuring an actor or actrees, director or even the same genre. And, of course, something I invented to make suggestions of movies you can't miss.

The 1978 release of [i]Grease[/i] (a box office hit featuring [i]Saturday Night Fever[/i]'s John Travolta and ...someone called Olivia Newton-John) opened doors for them to build sucessfull carreers over the 80's. At least, in theory. Both Travolta and Newton-John had a bad times with their movie-flops over the decade of the legwarmers and neon-glitz.

It's hard to identify which one suffered the most. John Travolta won in quantity, but Olivia Newton-John won in (lack of) quality.

After the release of [i]Grease[/i], Travolta starred with Lily Tomlin ([i]9-To-5)[/i] in the AWFUL drama [i]Moment By Moment[/i], which was such a huge flop it was never released neither on VHS or DVD, and doesn't even have it's own Rotten Romatoes page. In the movie, Travolta was a poor guy who fell in love with a mad rich woman. Yeah, the same plot of [i]Saturday Night Fever[/i], but with no dance, which makes it totally unbearable. Then, Travolta made two sucessfull movies (Brian De Palma's [i]Blow Out[/i] and the cult [i]Urban Cowboy[/i]) and then went to two flicks I'm saving to the end.

Newton-John had only two movie flops after [i]Grease[/i], but she was in one of the most loved/hated pictues ever made, [i]Xanadu[/i]. The movie is a musical fantasy that tries to mix both the glitz of the 40's and the disco of the 70's. It was announced as one of the biggest motion picture events of 1980, but it failed in box office of the U.S. (even tough it was sucessfull overseas and had a #1 soundtrack). The main reason why [i]Xanadu[/i] didn't work at the time is because it's a disco movie in a time disco music was dying. Today, it's a cult classic, basically because, under the excess of sacharine of the script, the total waste of Michael Beck ([i]The Warriors[/i]) and Gene Kelly ([i]Singin' In The Rain[/i]) and the whole razzle-dazzle there are some amazing musical scenes and nice entertaining moments. It's a bad movie, yes, but not as bad as everyone says it is. It's just out of place.

Then, in 1983, Travolta returned to the role of Tony Manero in the sequel of [i]Saturday Night Fever[/i], [i]Staying Alive[/i].[i] Staying Alive[/i] is a boring musical drama that sucks in every single point. Even worst: unlike [i]Xanadu[/i], the movie itself don't how bad it is. Directed by Sylvestel Stallone (YES, [i]Rambo[/i] himself), it's two hours of bad coreography and forced acting. Bee-Gees recycling it's own music and Travolta in short, shameless outfits are the cherry on the top of this "thing". It's one of the worst films to come out in the 80's, even tough it wasn't such a flop at the time (opened in #1).

Then, Travolta and Newton-John came back as the couple in love in the long-waited love story [i]Two of a Kind[/i], another box office disaster that nobody remembers. It's something about bank robbers, love, inventors and... angels saving the human race. Imagine [i]The Apple[/i] without Mr. Boogaloo and you'll get the thing. But it's not really bad, it's just plain silly and brand. Newton-John and Travolta are a charming couple with lots of charisma and chemistry, and they saved this one from beign a total waste, but not totally.

I could go on all night talking about all the bad movies John Travolta commited; and, believe me, it's not a short list. There's still [i]Battlefield: Earth[/i], [i]Lucky Numbers[/i], [i]Look Who's Talking Now[/i], [i]Perfect, The Punisher, The General's Daughter [/i]and [i]Domestic Disturbance[/i]. But I'll keep him quiet... untill the [i]Hairspray [/i]remake comes out, at least.

NEXT WEEK: MOLLY RINGWALD