Unfaithfully Yours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unfaithfully Yours Reviews

May 8, 2011
Very enjoyable, albeit dark, comedy from Sturges. As far as the actors go, Harrison is the key cog here, and he performs his role of the suspicious gentleman extremely well. The dialogue is filled with subtle comic moments that fly by almost quicker than you can catch them, and the centerpiece sequence as Harrison's character attempts to deal with his wife is wonderfully suspenseful and laugh out loud funny.
April 5, 2011
Another great movie by Sturges. (I've only seen two, enjoyed both). I think he was ahead his time with this one. Rex Harrrison was so great. I loved the witty dialogue. The classical music was a great backdrop to the some of the dark comedic parts of the film. Parts will make you cringe and others laugh out loud.
½ April 4, 2011
I feel that this one may grow on me with a repeat viewing or two, but my initial impressions were that it was all over the map, tonally speaking, as our lead imagines all manner of awful things happening to his wife, who he suspects of cheating on him, as well as horrible ends for himself and her lover.

Knowing where the film ends up on a 2nd viewing, this one may allow me to see more humor or enjoy the imagined asides, but for now my initial impression was very middle for the road for this classic.

Give it a peep, make your own call.
March 4, 2011
Unfaithfully Yours is a pretty good film. It was a little confusing and seemed to run out of steam towards the end. But nonetheless, there are a few jokes that stood out. Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell give great jobs. The script is well written. Preston Sturges did a remarkable job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the romance.
January 26, 2011
A dark comedy that has not aged particularly well. Not one of Preston Sturges' best movies - but then again, that's a very high bar.
½ January 11, 2011
A razor sharp black comedy from the great Preston Sturges. Rex Harrison is a joy to watch in what is probably the finest performance of his career.
January 1, 2011
A delightfully dark comedy
December 10, 2010
Any short-list of the funniest films of all-time should have this Preston Sturges classic on it. Rex Harrison gives a tour de force performance as British symphony conductor and supposedly cuckolded husband Sir Alfred de Carter, playing him with the throttle wide open and displaying an extraordinary and enviable range of gifts, not the least of which is pantomimic comedy. The sequence where he attempts to enact his elaborate and ill-fated scheme to murder Linda Darnell deserves to rank as one of most hilarious bits of film comedy ever done. Why the filmmakers (probably 20th Century Fox chief Daryl Zanuck, who took post-production away from Sturges) felt it necessary to rimshot some of Harrison's antics with sound embellishments I'll never know, but it counts as the only blemish in the movie. Avoid the regrettable 1984 Dudley Moore remake at all costs.
October 24, 2010
Another romantic comedy, pretty average.
DrStrangeblog
½ October 15, 2010
So simple it operates itself!

During the first half I was wondering why this is so highly regarded as a classic comedy. There are hardly any jokes, some lame slapstick, and Rex Harrison plays an insulting boor of a conductor. What gives?? Aha, it takes that long to get to the good stuff as Harrison, while conducting 3 pieces of music, mentally plots 3 methods of revenge against his wife whom he suspects had an affair with his assistant. The way these are presented is ingenious: every detail of every plan in his mind goes perfectly, but when he tries to replicate them in real life everything goes completely haywire in a gaspingly hilarious manner. So in truth there are about 20 minutes of actual comedy in this film, but they are some of the best 20 minutes of laughs you could hope for.
August 1, 2010
Great black comedy with rapid fire funny dialogue. As an orchestra musician, it was fun to see Hollywood's take on an orchestra rehearsal (the harpist in the back painting her nails, the percussionist getting an enormous pair cymbals so he could be heard during his key entrances) but it was also hard to get past Harrison's "conducting" which was dreadful! The fantasy scenes are impeccibly done. The slapstick scene at the end gets a little too silly and goes on a little too long but is sweetly ironic.
July 28, 2010
Rex Harrison is amazing in this film.
June 3, 2010
A staggering late masterpiece from Sturges. Less a comedy, more a psychodrama swathed in darkness. Remarkable.
May 13, 2010
Just finished Unfaithfully Yours and I am still in awe. Absolutely brilliant.
½ April 8, 2010
brimming over with snappy dialogue and punctuated by decidedly against-type slapstick routines from rex harrison, UNFAITHFULLY YOURS is an entertaining, if not career-defining, preston sturges film.

perhaps the most frustrating thing about this project is that the original edit seems lost forever, due to overzealous studio interference meted out by fox executive darryl zanuck. zanuck dug at sturges with an unceasing barrage of critical memos throughout production, going so far as to make the final cut himself. big studio execs have never really learned to keep their hands off their artists - except, perhaps, during the 1970s - but the correspondence preserved on criterion's dvd release really points up how bad it was 60 years ago. it's a shame - neither sturges nor zanuck got their desired outcome. zanuck's edit did poor business at the box office, and while the film we are left with wants for little, we'll never be able to evaluate the material that sturges wanted left intact, and zanuck insisted on cutting.
½ February 26, 2010
No one could craft comedy like Preston Sturges. Unfaithfully Yours, amazingly was a flop, and led to Sturges struggling to get the films he wanted to do made. See it now, in its excellent Criterion treatment.
jjnxn
½ December 6, 2009
Absurd, in a fun way, black comedy of Rex suspecting Linda is cheating and the plots he hatches all set to great classical music. Rex has his best Hollywood part aside from "My Fair Lady". Linda Darnell is ravishing, her dresses amazing. Barbara Lawrence is super in a small part. The dialogue quick and witty.
November 24, 2009
I sometimes feel as if I'm alone in my love for this film. I'd take it over The Lady Eve any day, and maybe even Sullivan's Travels. Though I know these are not things one is supposed to say in public.

It's an insightful psychological film about male insecurity, jealousy, and hubris that is all sparked by an accident and ends without anyone but the protagonist being aware of the night's drama. It is also a film about the artist's passion and how his art influences his life, and his life his art. All the while it defies studio film expectations and subtly critiques and satires the predictability of standard cinema fare. And as it is written by Preston Sturges, it is also of course full of inimitable wit.

I believe this film was not successful upon its release because it asks more of its audience than most American films of the time. We are expected to keep track of multiple tiers of reality, one film-actual and the other according to the flights of the protagonist's fancy, in which his strength and abilities are both far greater than in actuality and the behavior of his wife and secretary are both fundamentally different. (Indeed, Linda Darnell plays roughly four different characters in this film, all exceedingly well.) Furthermore, this is a potentially rather disturbing film, black-as-pitch and perhaps touching on some taboos and uncomfortable impulses that people didn't want to be confronted with.

People tend to point out the lengthy slapstick sequence as a fault, but I think it works brilliantly. Rex Harrison is not built for this kind of thing, and that's the whole point: the dichotomy between what his character thinks he's capable of and the utter inanity of his attempts to actually carry out his plans is the lynchpin of the film. Because he is a "great man," a conductor, he thinks he can do anything, but in reality in any other area of life he is a child, who needs his wife dearly. She is the strong, committed, and understanding one, which makes her sympathetic as the unfortunate victim of her husband's impressionability, insecurity, and hostility.

Really fascinating and entertaining film, I keep hoping more people see it and feel the same.
½ November 20, 2009
wonderful dark comedy with rex harrison painting the film reel with character ego, which is always such fun. falters in spots, especially with the physical comedy, but on the whole is very fluid and deftly funny.
September 22, 2009
I love the criterion collection.